PDA

View Full Version : Line Item Veto

*TT*
10-01-2006, 10:11 PM
What is the possibility that Blair will encourage a line item veto from Bush?
I would assume its slim, but is there a remote chance?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

jimmytrick
10-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Line item veto does not exist.

CardSharpCook
10-01-2006, 10:12 PM
You are not an American, are you?

bgoalie35
10-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Doubt it. Bush is an evangelical Christian and plays heavily to that base. I seriously doubt he will oppose the bill. Does the president have line item veto power now? Sorry, I'm not up to date.

MannyIsGod
10-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Thank GOD the line item veto does not exsist.

Barrin6
10-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Line item veteo was ruled unconstitutional.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/06/25/scotus.lineitem/

Cubicle
10-01-2006, 10:17 PM
The line item veto was declared unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court a while ago.

Anders
10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Bush can still make a signing statement saying the DOJ doesn't have to do anything! (At least, according to Bush, he can do this)

However I would count this as 0.0001 outs on 6th street

Eeegah
10-01-2006, 10:19 PM
The US Constitution prohibits a Line Item Veto. Congress attempted to give the President the power to do so in the nineties and was immediately smacked down as it comes too close to giving the President the ability to make laws.

So, in order for this to happen we'd have to see:
<ul type="square"> The Constitution would have to be amended to provide for the line item veto.
President Bush, who has to my knowledge never vetoed a single bill yet and I'm nearly certain would want Frist to win in '08, would have to veto the provision.
All of this has to happen in fourty-eight hours or whenever he decides to sign this.
[/list]

I'd sooner put money on a nuclear strike eradicating Washington before the bill's signature.

*TT*
10-01-2006, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Line item veteo was ruled unconstitutional.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/06/25/scotus.lineitem/

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, I didn't know that. I remembered when the law was initially passed. I hadn't heard of any challenges to the presidents ability.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

MannyIsGod
Bust vetoed a bill having to do with stem cell research, becuase of - YOU GUESSED IT! - the religous right.

bkellog1
The Prez would have to veto the entire port security bill to block the internet gambling act. I believe Clinton had the line item veto for a short time untill it was declared unconstitutional by SCOTUS

dorethawsp
10-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Bush ain't vetoing anything to help us. He is the Christian right.

CardSharpCook
10-01-2006, 10:30 PM
um..... what? He is Christian, and he is on the right side of our political spectrum...

cking
10-01-2006, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
um..... what? He is Christian, and he is on the right side of our political spectrum...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is all they need... dont say more as you will only confuse them

Semtex
10-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Even if the line item veto existed, it is a bill concerning port security which I will wager my life savings on that Bush will never veto. And can you imagine what would happen if Blair recommended Bush veto a bill that was going to up US security?

crzylgs
10-01-2006, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if the line item veto existed, it is a bill concerning port security which I will wager my life savings on that Bush will never veto. And can you imagine what would happen if Blair recommended Bush veto a bill that was going to up US security?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't really understand the "line item" part, eh?

Berge20
10-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Even if the line item veto was constitutional, Bush would not use it here.

Regardless, this is pointless banter.

dorethawsp
10-01-2006, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is all they need... dont say more as you will only confuse them

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not confused. This is his main consituency and to think he would cross them for us is insane.

Uglyowl
10-01-2006, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if the line item veto was constitutional, Bush would not use it here.

Regardless, this is pointless banter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush challenges hundreds of laws
President cites powers of his office
By Charlie Savage, Globe Staff | April 30, 2006

WASHINGTON -- President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/04/30/bush_challenges_hundreds_of_laws/

boondoggle
10-02-2006, 01:16 AM
The great senator Byrd led the charge to have the line item veto dropped.

cheers
Boon

Greg Miller
10-02-2006, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bush ain't vetoing anything to help us. He is the Christian right.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't really act like it.

He talks a good game about things like the anti-gay-marriage amendment and then doesn't do anything to get them passed. He started to nominate a center-left friend to the Supreme Court before public outrage forced him to keep him promise and nominate an experienced strict constructionist. He has certain issues he cares about, like stopping islamism and reforming social security, but most everything else seems to be a matter of placating various political movements.

He might do things differently if this were 1994 and the social conservatives/religious right/whatever you want to call them still dominated the Republicans.

I had hopes for the man when he was first elected, given that I'd heard he was a pretty good 7CS player. But he doesn't seem to care one way or the other about poker.