PDA

View Full Version : One thing you DO NOT have to worry about:

DMoogle
09-30-2006, 09:28 PM
ISPs will NOT be blocking access to gambling sites. There isn't anything wrong with going to a website. This bill does not in any way affect ISPs, and they do not police what you do (unless somebody else brings it to their attention.) It would be entire impractical to block known gambling websites, because that is a job for Net Nanny, Cybersitter, etc.

MiltonFriedman
09-30-2006, 09:35 PM
"This bill does not in any way affect ISPs, and they do not police what you do (unless somebody else brings it to their attention.)"

Of course DOJ WILL bring itbto their attention that sites like PartyPoker have made a hitlist, to which access should be blocked.

DOJ tried and failed to block television ads, this time they will push it further .... and include Dot.Net sites ... the economics beat them the last time, but the ISP model is not driven by the same cashflow considerations.

chicagoY
09-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah, moogle, you underestimate their deviousness.

DMoogle
09-30-2006, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I do, but I understand very well the way a computers and the internet works, and I tell you, it's impractical and it won't happen. I'm willing to take 10:1 odds on my bankroll (and I'm a bankroll nit) that it won't happen.

linuxrocks
09-30-2006, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I do, but I understand very well the way a computers and the internet works, and I tell you, it's impractical and it won't happen. I'm willing to take 10:1 odds on my bankroll (and I'm a bankroll nit) that it won't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really ? It's not as tough as you think. I don't know about you, but I know how to do blocking at the ISP level.

see my post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7486719&an=0&page=1#Post 7486719). It's quite easily doable, but circumventing it is also easy, but would the sites go to that extent ?

DMoogle
09-30-2006, 10:01 PM
I understand it's not tough to actually block a site, but they know how easy it is to get around the block and I doubt they'd bother. I said it's impractical because of how easy it is to circumvent, and they know it.

Also, they've never done it before, right?

linuxrocks
09-30-2006, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand it's not tough to actually block a site, but they know how easy it is to get around the block and I doubt they'd bother. I said it's impractical because of how easy it is to circumvent, and they know it.

Also, they've never done it before, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's true. Feds never have explicitly done this, and I agree with you regarding them not bothering to block in the first place.

scorer
09-30-2006, 10:30 PM
even the jerk frist said they cant control what sites you go to they can control the banking transacations

JuntMonkey
09-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Read the thread linked to in the new sticky where Mr. K answered questions. He does not think ISP blockage is even part of the bill. The part that looks like that is actually saying the ISP's can't actually HOST a gambling site.

trdi
10-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Of course they would go to that extent. BetandWin was(is) blocked by some ISP's in Europe and it didn't take them long to find a simple solution. The "bypass" is in the client itself, Party can do it in a day.

wall_st
10-01-2006, 01:26 AM
If ISP blockage was part of the bill there would probably be a greater chance of the bill getting tied up in litigations as groups like the ACLU would have a field day with internet censorship. They defended nambla, so gamblers are like angels to them.

Poker_Hoar
10-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Guys, the sites themselves will do it.

Currently you cannot play PartyPoker in India.

British and American executives at these big publicly traded companies don't get paid enough to go to jail for five years.

A little know fact is that three British executives from a bank called Natwest (part of Royal Bank of Scottland) were extradited to the USA this year due to Enron money laundering violations. The terible thing is that these were extradited and must wait in the USA to be tried while the case is formed against them.

Freakin
10-01-2006, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet party just doesn't want the indian CSRs stealing passwords and chipdumping to their other indian friends

govman6767
10-01-2006, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet party just doesn't want the indian CSRs stealing passwords and chipdumping to their other indian friends

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. How can they play in india when the whole country works for them.