PDA

View Full Version : Party Horses

Sarge85
09-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Just saw this in the internet fourm

Lets say Party Poker comes up with Party Horse Racing

I legally fund my Horse account, but then transfer funds from Party Horse site to Party Poker site.

I play Party Poker and make my millions - i then transfer back to Party Horses and cash out via the Horse side.

Thoughts?

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

fsuplayer
09-30-2006, 11:53 AM
was literally about to post the exact same thing.

BluffTHIS!
09-30-2006, 11:54 AM
The law makes exceptions for domestic operations taking horse racing bets, not for foreign ones which aren't tied into the parimutual sytstem and pay fees to same. SOL on that.

Sarge85
09-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Ok, i think i see what your saying, but hypotheitcally if Party set up a US based Horse Betting platform - but still had the "site to site" transfer options.......

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hock_
09-30-2006, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The law makes exceptions for domestic operations taking horse racing bets, not for foreign ones which aren't tied into the parimutual sytstem and pay fees to same. SOL on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if that in itself is a violation of the WTO.

BluffTHIS!
09-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Ladbrokes has such an operation. But they also ban US players from their poker games because they don't want that horse racing subsidiary penalized by the government for same. Still won't work.

repulse
09-30-2006, 12:01 PM
everything about this legislation is in violation of the WTO

BluffTHIS!
09-30-2006, 12:05 PM
There is no doubt of that, but it will take years to get a ruling, *if* a country where a site is headquartered challenges it. And a positive WTO ruling will only matter *if* that country has large enough trade with the US to effectively enact retaliatory trade sanctions which islands like Antigua don't.

Copernicus
09-30-2006, 12:12 PM
the carve out for horse racing only applies to the government regulated entities...the tracks, OTB parlors, links to legal vegas sports books etc. A foreign (or domestic company for that matter) cant just come in and hookup horseracing B&M or telephone/telegraph sites.

iron81
09-30-2006, 12:17 PM
What BluffTHIS! is talking about is a recent WTO case. Antigua sued the US in "WTO Court" because Antigua claimed that the fact that the US allowed domestic betting but said that overseas betting was illegal was an unfair trade practice and violated our free trade agreements. The WTO agreed and ordered the US to allow Antigua poker sites to operate.

The problem is, the only enforcement mechanism available is for Antigua to impose trade sanctions on the US. Since Antigua is so small, the Bush Admin told them to [censored] off. If a larger country were interested in pursuing a case in the WTO and threatened a trade war, that might be a means to get the ban lifted.

Linky (http://www.pokernews.com/news/2006/9/wto-review-panel-arbitrate-dispute.htm)