PDA

View Full Version : What happened to state's rights?

binions
09-30-2006, 10:50 AM
When the Republicans had no power in Congress, the standard refrain to Democratic federal legislation was "state's rights."

Now that the Republicans have power, they want to federalize their morality on the rest of us.

Freakin' hypocrites.

BluffTHIS!
09-30-2006, 10:50 AM
politics forum - go find it

Jartavius
09-30-2006, 11:57 AM
At the risk of starting a huge PC flame war (with my very first post, no less)... "States Rights" pretty well ended in 1865.

Disclaimer: I am not racist, pro-slavery, a confedrate sore loser, trolling, etc. Just a student of history.

Jeremy517
09-30-2006, 12:27 PM
They just use the Commerce Clause as a catch-all. Everything not defined by the Constitution is supposed to be left to the states, but they just use the Commerce Clause to make many things a federal issue.

epdaws
09-30-2006, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of starting a huge PC flame war (with my very first post, no less)... "States Rights" pretty well ended in 1865.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Jeremy517
09-30-2006, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer: I am not racist, pro-slavery, a confedrate sore loser, trolling, etc. Just a student of history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. A Constitutional amendment trumps states' rights.

Jartavius
09-30-2006, 12:48 PM
"Not true. A Constitutional amendment trumps states' rights. "

I agree.

My point was not the legalese of the change, but the de facto change in attitude. The Union became the overriding goal...not the preservation of states' rights. America stopped seeing itself as a loose conglomeration of independent states, and began seeing itself as a "real" nation. Thus, states' rights took a back seat.

I wasn't trying to derail the OP's thread with history discussion, and back to the original point, states' rights will not stop this bill. Or any others. Fedgov > states. The Constitution is just an inconvenience.

P.S. Anyone wanting to argue/discuss the causes and or effects of the Civil War, please PM me. I love a good debate, but would rather not clog up the thread.

AlexM
10-01-2006, 05:34 AM
States' Rights went out the door with Lincoln.

Grey
10-01-2006, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes. The Feds have been very consistently expanding their authority no matter which Party is in control for decades now. I spent a 3 hour class going over this is American Politics 101 4 years ago.