PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to be a US affilate now?

Waterproof
09-30-2006, 10:04 AM
It sure seems like it, but I'm not sure.

The bit about accepting money for any form of internet gambling. Doesn't this include affilates who make money from others playing?

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BluffTHIS!
09-30-2006, 10:07 AM
An affiliate isn't accepting a bet or wager, even if it gets a cut off such a bet or wager. Bounus affiliates will likely be more in the clear though of the 2 types. But hey, I'm not an affiliate so [censored] em.

Wynton
09-30-2006, 10:15 AM
When I looked at this months ago, my quick analysis was that there was nothing in the bill to suggest that Congress gave any thought whatsoever to affiliates (or even knew they existed).

On the other hand, I can easily a prosecutor arguing that the affiliate is acting as an accomplice to the cardroom by directing people to their site. And under federal law, an accomplice is considered just as guilty as the principal, and subject to the same penalties.

This doesn't mean that anyone will go after affiliates, but I can't say that such prosecutions are not theoretically possible.

stupidsucker
09-30-2006, 10:46 AM
I thought it was always illegal, but people did it anyways.

Waterproof
09-30-2006, 09:38 PM
2plus2 is affilate, so are a good number of posters...

Anyway, this site's banners are still up, but for how long?

Anyway, if it's illegal for sites to take US bets, is it illegal to refer Americans to these sites from inside the US?

MiltonFriedman
09-30-2006, 09:44 PM
"it's illegal for sites to take US bets,..."

Nothing Congress did last night or in this bill affected the legality of online poker, only the means to make a deposit.

emptyshell
10-01-2006, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

coxquinn
10-01-2006, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*TT*
10-01-2006, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its illegal in NJ. Thats why my company is based in NY.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Kraize
10-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Any updates? Is it legal / illegal?

Will 2+2 for example be removing there banners?

Thanks

Hendricks433
10-03-2006, 12:07 AM
This bill did not make anything illegal that wasnt illegal before. It just stops transfers from banks and credi card companies to "illegal gambling site"9whateve those are), corrct?

bobbyi
10-03-2006, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2plus2 is affilate, so are a good number of posters...

[/ QUOTE ]
2+2 has never been an affiliate for any site specifically because of concerns about the legality (especially because they are based in Nevada, one of the few states where online gambling was already explicitly illegal).

Jeff Oneye
10-03-2006, 12:33 AM
What about the provision for removing 'hyperlinks.' Would that effectively force affiliates (who utilize websites like Pokersource) out of business? Would twoplustwo be seriously crippled as well because their banner ads would consitute 'hyperlinks?' What about people who advertise in a more mobile fashion-like spamsters on rec.gambling.poker who post links with their referral codes? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm basically wondering if: A) My hyperlinks would be removed by some outside entity. B) If I receive revenue from people clicking on banners would I be in violation of the new law? Any feedback would be appreciated. Please excuse me in advance for misusing terminology.

Very clueless about this,

JeffreyREBT