PDA

View Full Version : Deaking with suckouts.

NevadaKaz
01-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Typically I am the most placid and anti violence people you could ever meet.
However, when I get sucked out on, I turn into the incredible hulk =)

How do you handle you beats ? I find myself running over and over them in my head, wondering if I could have played the hand any better. If I think I played it right, I stay real p*ssed.

Allinlife
01-27-2006, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I think I played it right, I stay real p*ssed.

[/ QUOTE ]
so how do you react when you think you misplayed it? lol

anyways.. I STRONGLY recommened inside the poker mind by John Feeney. it has a book on poker and emotion and I think helped me tremendously with controlling emotions.

NevadaKaz
01-27-2006, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I think I played it right, I stay real p*ssed.

[/ QUOTE ]
so how do you react when you think you misplayed it? lol

anyways.. I STRONGLY recommened inside the poker mind by John Feeney. it has a book on poker and emotion and I think helped me tremendously with controlling emotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the book recomendation.

To answer your question, when I have played it wrong, I am fine.
When it's my mistake I can work on it. When they flip over AA and beat my KK, I take it in my stride.

But when they hit runner runner, I seriously damage my karma, to put it mildly. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

raphet99
01-27-2006, 07:31 PM
I find I take it harder when I'm not having a good session.

But I have also found that there are many less suck-outs as I once thought. When I am not protecting my hand or if I am bloating the pot and giving odds to that 3rd pair with BDFD, then I am playing wrong then, too.

How many hands have you played? If it's not too many - say less than 10,000 - you just have to get over it. If you're a veteran, then maybe poker isn't for you?

beyeond
01-27-2006, 07:35 PM
I try to force a grin and remember that people sucking out means I had the best hand. They will give the money back soon enough, so just move on.

NevadaKaz
01-27-2006, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find I take it harder when I'm not having a good session.

But I have also found that there are many less suck-outs as I once thought. When I am not protecting my hand or if I am bloating the pot and giving odds to that 3rd pair with BDFD, then I am playing wrong then, too.

How many hands have you played? If it's not too many - say less than 10,000 - you just have to get over it. If you're a veteran, then maybe poker isn't for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how many hands i have played, but I have been playing about 3+ hours per day for the past 7 months.

I am showing a profit on my play, so I do try to console myself with the fact, that it is the fish who have contributed to that profit /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It's just sucking out that I can't handle.

Good cards everybody !!

obsidian
01-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Fish sucking out is what keeps them playing man. Do you think there would be fish if they never won? Anyways, the only time I get really mad anymore is when I misplay a hand, and I am getting better at just moving on and continuing to play well. If I play a hand fine and lose, big deal.

chicagoY
01-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah, that was the most underrated book ever. It's a great read, I concur.

galahad_187
01-28-2006, 11:17 AM
if i'm just playing poker and playing good poker and take a beat it doesn't bother my hardly at all. Normally i smile and say nice hand, knowing il'l get my moneyback later. However, if i feel like i've been playing poorly then i'm already on some form of tilt, and beats really tick me off. Overall though poor play is what really makes me want to throw large objects into not so large objects. However i read something the other day that helped (i plan on reading poker mind now too.)

robert allan says, 'theres no failure, only feedback.' Meaning that while misplaying a hand may look like a failure, it's acually feedback saying, 'this is something to learn and grow from. Since you now know more about your opponent and yourself, your less likily to make this mistake in the future.'

I can already feel the differance in my game just in reading that.

Bang584
01-28-2006, 03:20 PM
If you play online, get digital cable and listen to Soundscapes while you play. I've had some extreme suckouts over the last few days, but while listening I am usually pretty relaxed and unaffected by any tough beats. I remind myself that I made money in the long haul, which is all that really matters.

Poker is a game where you can't control the present or past; you can only change your future. Don't let suckouts get the best of you. As long as your play is "correct"(should logically show a profit in the long run), then you have won money whether you drag the pot or not.