PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong???

TheHeathen
01-02-2006, 04:43 AM
I am obviously missing something. Been playing for over a year now. Have read and absorbed over 30 books as well as reading forums such as this. I play only solid hands in solid position and yet I have lost my ASS over the last few weeks to some of the most godawful crap you can imagine. Everyone on this forum says if you play from the lead and force people to chase you will win "in the long run". Well when the #(^$(* does this long run show up. I have lost 26 of 30 hands holding AA KK or QQ. I have limped with pairs and lost on my last 6 (count em 6) sets. I know there is a luck factor in poker but I am starting to wonder about the "randomness" of the online sites I play. I am NEVER NEVER NEVER the one drawing out on others. I am always the one getting sucked out on. I dont mind getting outplayed but when people constantly call with crap hands and with crap odds and still win I start to wonder if it really is all just luck and everything Im reading is just putting money in someones pocket without having to actually play. If this sounds like a rant it probably is but the odds against some of these things happening to me over and over and over and over is just beyond "bad luck". There has to be another explanation. So go ahead tell me Im wrong. Tell me to hang in there. Tell me to keep dumping money into a game that obviously has no relation to skill at all. I really am starting to figure out that it really does come down to who draws the right cards at the right time and it is all just about luck.

Flame away.

NYCNative
01-02-2006, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have lost my ASS over the last few weeks

[/ QUOTE ]Small sample size.[ QUOTE ]
Everyone on this forum says if you play from the lead and force people to chase you will win "in the long run". Well when the #(^$(* does this long run show up.

[/ QUOTE ]Longer than "the last few weeks." Pro players can go into extended slumps that last months or even more. You either need a bigger bankroll to absorb loses that will happen to everyone or you have to step down a level if the losses are too great.[ QUOTE ]
I have lost 26 of 30 hands holding AA KK or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]You will have to post them. I have won 90% of the time with AA, 81% with KK and 75% with QQ. I don't think these results are out of line with most players so losing that many times is either hyperbole or horrible luck. Your post is a whine, which is fine with me - I like to whine and can empathize. Posting hands would be more productive in the long run though.

Without seeing a single hand history, I can guess that if you lost those premium hands in that time that aside from horrible luck you probably have a problem laying down big hands post-flop. Or maybe you exacerbate the problem by getting cute with them. Until you post hand histories, I can't say for sure but those are good guesses...

MilkMan
01-02-2006, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been accidentally logging on to the Razz tables?

Thundercat32
01-02-2006, 05:41 AM
like NYCNative said, it's hard to say much intelligently without looking at the hand histories, but my guess would be that you are not raising enough and than you may not be recognizing when an opponent has hit a straight or flush on you, reading the board (possibly)

Also 26 out of 30 times, this is no ridiculous number. It's definitely unlucky, but if you play 30,000 hands wouldn't you figure somewhere in there you are going to have a lump of bad beats such as this and the 6 sets that have been busted???

The possibility of misplaying those big hands exist, but I don't know because there is no hand history to reference.

I would also suggest taking down a few pots on a bluff. Recognizing when you can win money without the best hand, is KEY! KEY! KEY! to being a winning player. But I almost hesistate to advice you to try this, you seem like a really TIGHT player and it maybe out of your personality to do so. Also when I first started flirting with this, I lost about $800 trying to bluff, it's not easy to pick your spots at first. But you seem like a decent player, just go with your gut it's usually right

Slappy002
01-02-2006, 05:57 AM
I will try to guess what's happening to you. My guess is that the initial losses were just plain bad luck. Each incidence had a very subtle, tiny, imperceptible tilting factor. After several of these losses aggregated in a short time, the tilt factor took you off your game and you started winning small pots or losing huge ones.
The way to fix this is to play no poker for 48-72 hours.
Come back refreshed and back on your game.

ericicecream
01-02-2006, 06:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am NEVER NEVER NEVER the one drawing out on others. I am always the one getting sucked out on.

[/ QUOTE ]

From this statement it sounds like you are waiting until you are absolutely sure you are ahead before ever commiting chips. Believe it or not, that can be a major leak, even for a conservative style of play.

Cosimo
01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be because you are waiting too long to push these hands post-flop. QQ (and JJ) can be big losers if you keep pushing them against callers when overs flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I have limped with pairs and lost on my last 6 (count em 6) sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can also be bad play. Push sets hard on draw-heavy flops; don't wait for your opponents to catch up (or pass you) before you bet them.

Fallen Hero
01-02-2006, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am obviously missing something. Been playing for over a year now. Have read and absorbed over 30 books as well as reading forums such as this. I play only solid hands in solid position and yet I have lost my ASS over the last few weeks to some of the most godawful crap you can imagine. Everyone on this forum says if you play from the lead and force people to chase you will win "in the long run". Well when the #(^$(* does this long run show up. I have lost 26 of 30 hands holding AA KK or QQ. I have limped with pairs and lost on my last 6 (count em 6) sets. I know there is a luck factor in poker but I am starting to wonder about the "randomness" of the online sites I play. I am NEVER NEVER NEVER the one drawing out on others. I am always the one getting sucked out on. I dont mind getting outplayed but when people constantly call with crap hands and with crap odds and still win I start to wonder if it really is all just luck and everything Im reading is just putting money in someones pocket without having to actually play. If this sounds like a rant it probably is but the odds against some of these things happening to me over and over and over and over is just beyond "bad luck". There has to be another explanation. So go ahead tell me Im wrong. Tell me to hang in there. Tell me to keep dumping money into a game that obviously has no relation to skill at all. I really am starting to figure out that it really does come down to who draws the right cards at the right time and it is all just about luck.

Flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have no idea what "long run" means do you?

stu-unger
01-02-2006, 06:27 PM
online poker is rigged, duh...

Vinny80
01-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Excellent advice... I took a week break in November after losing more than 75% of my bankroll. I just got back to where I started on November 1st... take a break and just relax. Come back fresh and give us news!