PDA

View Full Version : Trips on a 3 diamond flop

Galilee
09-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Hi - this is my first hand posted on this forum. I think I played alright until the river ...

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $15.75
UTG+1: $5.50
CO: $14.70
Button: $24.40
SB: $32.80
Galilee: $28.05

Pre-flop: (6 players) Galilee is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, Galilee checks.

Flop: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($1, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Galilee bets $1</font>, UTG calls, 2 folds.

Turn: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($3, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Galilee bets $2</font>, UTG calls.

River: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($7, 2 players)
Galilee checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG is all-in $12.5</font>

This was supposed to be an aggressive check (!) - I thought I'd get another bet out of him if I let him bluff his (hopefully) busted flush ... but do I call such a large bet?

What other ways are there to play this hand?

uminchu
09-25-2006, 06:44 PM
check behind on turn if villain is solid and call and fill up, against an unknown i probably call this, flushes tend to bet pay off bets and this looks likes a busted draw to me, but next time i probly c/c behind on turn, he may think you have the busted Ace of hearts and picked up a king on the turn, there are just too many hands you beat here I call

MrMxyztplk
09-25-2006, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
check behind on turn if villain is solid and call and fill up, against an unknown i probably call this, flushes tend to bet pay off bets and this looks likes a busted draw to me, but next time i probly c/c behind on turn, he may think you have the busted Ace of hearts and picked up a king on the turn, there are just too many hands you beat here I call

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I'd bet the turn and consider betting the river if an A or K falls, simply because he may pair and pay off. But usually I'll c/c the river.

Here I'm definitely calling.

Galilee
09-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks - I was planning to call ... only the all-in made me pause. I've been reading NLHE T&amp;P and I don't want to be one of those 'suspicious' guys Sklansky talks about who pay off big bets!

I actually folded, and he flashed me JJ. I forget if one was a diamond, but I assume it was.

MrMxyztplk
09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks - I was planning to call ... only the all-in made me pause. I've been reading NLHE T&amp;P and I don't want to be one of those 'suspicious' guys Sklansky talks about who pay off big bets!

I actually folded, and he flashed me JJ. I forget if one was a diamond, but I assume it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is certainly something to consider. Just try to think about it: why would he call both streets when you're showing strength? Would he do that with a baby flush? Seems unlikely since you could be semi-bluffing with a big /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, so he'd probably stick in a raise before the river. What about the nut flush? That's more likely, but why overbet the river? What about a non-flush made hand, like a smaller set? Again, that makes some sense, but why overbet the river? He would just check behind and see if he's good, or make a small VB (since a push mostly gets called by flushes or bigger sets). So in this case, I would think he's very likely bluffing with a broadway diamond. (I bet he showed the J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.)

Acein8ter
09-25-2006, 07:07 PM
You have 99 and checked when 3 players limped in. In 6 max, you should raise this hand to knock out the people that are playing stuff like Q8s, J8s, T8s.

Into the flop, your up against 3 other players. The more players your up against, the more probability that someone hits their hand.

In this one, raise PF and try to isolate to one player. (2 max)

Acein8ter
09-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Oh, and after the river, you can try a 'block' bet in an attempt to see the showdown cheaper. (Instead of a C/R, especially on a 3 flush board)

Shaddux
09-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Pot turn and river.

gimmetheloot
09-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Umin, we are OOP, and I would never, EVEEEER check behind here against anybody, ever.

OP, call the river. You checked to induce this sir.

kleraudio
09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
If you checked to induce a bluff, you got exactly what you wanted, trust your read and call here.

Jim

Galilee
09-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

The only thing that no-one gives credit for is that the other guy is simply a poor player and has been calling with a small flush and then makes a stupid all-in on the river. I hate to reward bad play!

Obviously I was conscious of a possible flush when the flop came down all blue, and since I had only invested $3 by the river, I was thinking that a $12.5 river call might not be worth the risk.

I thought on the flop I was either going to win a small pot here or lose a big one ... so I guess I played the hand out with that in mind.

But yes, I still should have called.

Dan Bitel
09-26-2006, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the replies.

The only thing that no-one gives credit for is that the other guy is simply a poor player and has been calling with a small flush and then makes a stupid all-in on the river. I hate to reward bad play!

Obviously I was conscious of a possible flush when the flop came down all blue, and since I had only invested $3 by the river, I was thinking that a $12.5 river call might not be worth the risk.

I thought on the flop I was either going to win a small pot here or lose a big one ... so I guess I played the hand out with that in mind.

But yes, I still should have called.

[/ QUOTE ]

all your logic here is very poor

Galilee
09-26-2006, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha - thanks! Can you tell me what I SHOULD be thinking?

What I was trying to say was that I didn't want to needlessly go mad against some lucky guy who flopped the flush.

Galilee
09-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Oh - I realise my odds on a river call are about 1.5:1 and my investment so far is irrelevant.

Dan Bitel
09-26-2006, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha - thanks! Can you tell me what I SHOULD be thinking?

What I was trying to say was that I didn't want to needlessly go mad against some lucky guy who flopped the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what a range is, right?

Sure, some of his range is a flush, but enough is not that the call is +EV

Galilee
09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks dbitel

Yeah, I definately figured the flush as a bigger part of his range than it really was, and so his all-in made me think I had worse odds than I really did, so I fumbled this hand.