PDA

View Full Version : 50NL 6m: called a raise, flopped top pair, got the c-bet, now what?

Jigsaws
09-23-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm more interested in the general situation than this specific hand, but let's start the discussion with this, shall we?

UTG in this hand is a decent TAG: 23/9 over 115 hands. He has shown down two hands so far: in one he called down the big fish at our table (we'll get to him soon) with a gutshot and lost, in the other he flopped a set of sixes and fast-played it on the flop. All this is not especially relevant, but I'm just writing and writing.

BB is the fishy. 45/15 over 122 hands. He sat down as I was sitting at a table alone, and I proceeded to stack him for 50BB in about ten hands. He rebought and the table filled up, unfortunately.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (6 handed)

UTG ($61.05)
MP ($97.95)
CO ($43.75)
Hero ($77.35)
SB ($68.65)
BB ($40.30)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.25.

Flop: ($5.50) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero calls or raises?</font>

If I raise, to how much do I raise? This raise would be for protection only - I don't think any worse hands call besides KQ if he's TAG. What about metagame considerations? If I only raise on the flop with a monster, that would rather suck.

While you're at it, how about the same thing OOP? Check-call, check-raise or lead?

tannenj
09-23-2006, 11:04 PM
calling is standard here. you say yourself that you can't raise for value here against this villain. you say raising would be for "protection," but what are you protecting against? if you are ahead, villain probably doesn't have many outs. i doubt he raises T9s or KTs under the gun, so he'll rarely have a straight draw. the board is rainbow, so he can't have a flush draw. he either has you beat already, or he has something like two outs (AJ), three outs (KQ, AK), or five outs (KJ).

as for metagame, you can and should be raising with big draws (and air) to balance out the times you raise with sets, AA, and other monsters. the answer is not raising with marginal hands like top pair.

oop, i'd either lead or check-call for essentially the same reasons as i tried to cover above. note that if the villain is a different kind of player, like a big LAG or a fish, raising has much more merit.

edit: i completely ignored the fish in this hand, my analysis only considers the TAG. i'd probably still just call, but the analysis would be slightly different i guess.

mattnxtc
09-23-2006, 11:04 PM
if you think he will fold if he missed look to hit him on the turn with a big raise as he is probably drawing to 3 outs or so that bother you...

I think a raise to 10 is a good size raise if you want to raise though...i probably generally raise though in this situation

Jamougha
09-23-2006, 11:06 PM
I tend to either raise or fold preflop with this hand.

Call flop is good, let the fishy overcall with JT.

Shaddux
09-23-2006, 11:18 PM
What is the reasoning behind reraising AQ against TAG?

(It's probably a better move...I'm just not sure why)

Jamougha
09-23-2006, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the reasoning behind reraising AQ against TAG?

[/ QUOTE ]

He folds a lot of the time and you pick up the pot. When he doesn't you have pretty good equity against his range, and you win the pot on the flop quite often with the worst hand when you c-bet.

I wouldn't call this guy a TAG tho.

Sir Winalot
09-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Grunching:

I usually raise this pf in position, but I guess calling is fine too. I'm more opt to raise if I had AQs.

I'd c/c the flop because a raise is only going to get called by better hands and will fold his bluffs/worse hands.

OOP I'm not sure, probably c/c flop and lead turn.

Jigsaws
09-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the comments. I sorta knew calling was the right answer, just needed to hear it.

So what's our move on a blank turn, assuming we get it heads-up, and he checks. Just check it back?

VashJuggalo
09-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I'd most definitely call, most of the time, your villain is drawing to 3 outs.

OOP I like c/c