PDA

View Full Version : Bet sizing with a straight/flush draw on the board

Tooty816
09-23-2006, 09:52 PM
I have a general question.

When I think I have the best hand at the flop, and there are 2 suits making a flush draw possible, or two consecutive cards making a straight draw possible, I almost always bet the pot to raise out any chasers. Is this a good idea? Should I lower the bet a bit to encourage action, but not so much so as to make their call correct? The problem I have with raising the pot is (1) I don't get as many callers, and (2) it expands the size of the flop, forcing me to make bigger bets on the turn and maybe river.

What do I consider when determining the correct bet size when there is a flush or a straight draw on the board, and how do I use that information?

xwillience
09-23-2006, 11:30 PM
on the flop, im usually potting it. or close to potting it. If the flop is really drawy, im protecting my hand with a full PSB. when the flop is less drawy, its about a 3/4 sized bet. Either way, villains will pay off a lot so why not just take their money?

Shaddux
09-23-2006, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I think I have the best hand at the flop, and there are 2 suits making a flush draw possible, or two consecutive cards making a straight draw possible, I almost always bet the pot to raise out any chasers. Is this a good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but your reasoning is wrong. Bet pot not necessarily to chase them out, but to force them to pay more to draw. Thus, you get more money in the pot with the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I lower the bet a bit to encourage action, but not so much so as to make their call correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
That is opponent-dependent. Make sure they don't have implied odds depending on how low you make your bet.

Sir Winalot
09-24-2006, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
on the flop, im usually potting it. or close to potting it. If the flop is really drawy, im protecting my hand with a full PSB. when the flop is less drawy, its about a 3/4 sized bet. Either way, villains will pay off a lot so why not just take their money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play pretty much the same, sometimes I bet 3/4 on drawy boards and pot it on less drawy boards to mix it up/because of villains tendencies.