PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Advisory Council Suggestions

BobFeduniak
09-21-2006, 11:56 AM
In a July 29 2+2 post I asked 2+2-ers with "suggestions, complaints,
comments, or praise" re WSOP to email them to me at
rfeduniakWSOP@msn.com in connection with a WSOP Advisory Council
meeting to review WSOP 2006/discuss WSOP 2007. That post is here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...rue#Post6721929 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=WSOP&Number=6721929&S earchpage=2&Main=6721929&Words=feduniak&topic=&Sea rch=true#Post6721929)

I received a couple of dozen responses, essentially all of which were
on-topic and reasonable.

The meeting is being scheduled for five/six weeks from now. If any
readers have had additional thoughts or would like to send new
comments/suggestions, please do so. My original post preceded the Main
Event, so any input re the ME would be especially welcome. You may
assume that the $2 million chip overage will be a prominent agenda
item.

I will post separately a brief summary of the comments received.

Bob Feduniak

Greg (FossilMan)
09-21-2006, 04:02 PM
I think the biggest issues are these:
1. Dealers - From my understanding, many or possibly most all of the dealers from this year are pissed off, and many may not return. Similarly, the word is now long out that Harrahs isn't going to treat them well, or at least not as well as they expect. The lack of good dealers is by far the largest quality issue with running the WSOP. Harrahs needs to do whatever is necessary to ensure that we get a sufficient number of COMPETENT dealers to run the events. I'm not sure what they need to do, but those who know more about the details of dealer hiring and retention this year should be able to give that advise.

2. Vig - The vig is outrageous, and is certainly price-gouging at a minimum. There is no way that it costs even 10% of the vig we paid for the HORSE event to run that tournament. If they had charged us 1/5 of the vig we actually paid, I honestly believe that they still would have made a profit running the event. In fact, if the vig on every event as a group was cut in half, I am sure Harrahs would still make money on the tournaments. And none of this takes into account the profit they make from every other source during the WSOP, such as the sales of food, merchandise, hotel rooms, as well as the increased profit in the pit. Now, add to this the reputed 20M that Party Poker paid for being the official school of the WSOP, what MBL paid, Honeywell, etc., and the vig for running the events is now a small part of the total picture. Therefore, why would Harrahs want to piss off the customers who are needed for these events to exist at all, when doing so only adds a small fraction to the total profitability of the WSOP? I would recommend that Harrahs look at the long term picture here, and decide to keep the customer happy, even if they can rake us over the coals at present and make more money today.

Thanks, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

MrFizzbin
09-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Keeping the hallways clear during the opening days of the main event. The worst part of the main event for me this year was trying to get back and forth to the tables during breaks and having to fight through hundreds of relatives waiting for an update. I understand that spectators are needed to grow the sport but there should be 1 entrance for them and 1 exit. Or at least have security clear the main hallways so we can take use the restroom and hit the store for water, or whatever we need, and still get back for the first hand.

My other suggestion is that we not be required to walk through the "Life Expo" if we are playing in the event. Yes I realize that Harrahs wants to insure an amount of foot traffic, but I went on an off day so I wouldnt have the destraction. I visited all the vendors, I took my fair share of tchotchkes. dont make me go throught the crowds again just to get to my table.

Floor people that know thier jobs, and aren't weasles about it. There were a few guys there who lets say let a little power went a long way....

$3.95 for a bottle of water... Geeze talk about gouging & Profiteering. yikes!!!!

Talk to ESPN about getting more than 1 camera table when it gets down to 27 people.... or at the very least 2 Camera tables when at the final 18. Save the yap yap about costs, have one of your sponsors pick up the tab... Note I'm not suggesting this for the 5-10 preliminary days of the main event just the final 2 days where you have 30 down to 9...

pig4bill
09-22-2006, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Vig - The vig is outrageous, and is certainly price-gouging at a minimum.
And none of this takes into account the profit they make from every other source during the WSOP, such as the sales of food, merchandise, hotel rooms, as well as the increased profit in the pit. Now, add to this the reputed 20M that Party Poker paid for being the official school of the WSOP, what MBL paid, Honeywell, etc., and the vig for running the events is now a small part of the total picture. Therefore, why would Harrahs want to piss off the customers who are needed for these events to exist at all, when doing so only adds a small fraction to the total profitability of the WSOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear, hear.

It's especially grating when I watch it on tv and I see and hear "Presented by Milwaukee's Best Light". With all these "sponsors", why do they feel a need to take anything from the players? Just because they can?

KennyBanya
09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
2. Vig - The vig is outrageous, and is certainly price-gouging at a minimum. There is no way that it costs even 10% of the vig we paid for the HORSE event to run that tournament. If they had charged us 1/5 of the vig we actually paid, I honestly believe that they still would have made a profit running the event. In fact, if the vig on every event as a group was cut in half, I am sure Harrahs would still make money on the tournaments. And none of this takes into account the profit they make from every other source during the WSOP, such as the sales of food, merchandise, hotel rooms, as well as the increased profit in the pit. Now, add to this the reputed 20M that Party Poker paid for being the official school of the WSOP, what MBL paid, Honeywell, etc., and the vig for running the events is now a small part of the total picture. Therefore, why would Harrahs want to piss off the customers who are needed for these events to exist at all, when doing so only adds a small fraction to the total profitability of the WSOP? I would recommend that Harrahs look at the long term picture here, and decide to keep the customer happy, even if they can rake us over the coals at present and make more money today.

Thanks, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was that either Harrah's or that possibly even Harrah's would allow the council to seek out sponsors for covering some of the vig.

This could even be done event by event. They could call it money added to the prize pool or something like that.

For example you would have the $2,000 NLHE event with $40,000 added to the prize pool by "beer company x" or "poker website y".

If Harrah's compromised a little on the vig percentage, and it was possible to have sponsors add to the prize pool, you could reduce the players burden considerably.

Just an idea.

Peace,

KennyBanya

dlk9s
09-28-2006, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, add to this the reputed 20M that Party Poker paid for being the official school of the WSOP

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess Party outbid...UNLV?

Mason Malmuth
09-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Hi Greg:

[ QUOTE ]
The vig is outrageous, and is certainly price-gouging at a minimum. There is no way that it costs even 10% of the vig we paid for the HORSE event to run that tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you did get a $10 food coupon.

Best wishes,
Mason

Greg (FossilMan)
09-28-2006, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Greg:

[ QUOTE ]
The vig is outrageous, and is certainly price-gouging at a minimum. There is no way that it costs even 10% of the vig we paid for the HORSE event to run that tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

And some people still think that Mason has no sense of humor. lol.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Tom Bayes
09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing $10 didn't go too far /images/graemlins/cool.gif

JackOfSpeed
09-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Personally, I'll never buyin direct to this tourney as long as the prizes are so skewed towards the top. The fact that places 50-200 made 40% LESS than 2005 even though the field grew by 40% was a joke.

Vee Quiva
09-28-2006, 04:12 PM
1. ESPN needs to update their hole card cameras. There are many instances where there is not enough light to see the cards clearly on TV. I don't know if there is a patent or exclusivity deal on the clear windows in the table cams they use on Poker Superstars, but it is a much superior system.

2. A flatter payout structure for the Main Event would keep the game of Poker healthier. More people winning money, means more future business in poker tournaments and more action at the tables for Harrahs.

3. The pay per view final table was great. I hope they do it again. It would be even better if they could replay it the next day with the hole cards exposed using the original commentary.

barryg1
09-28-2006, 08:56 PM
The final table payouts should be done by hand. Payouts are done in blocks. Everyone in the money should get at least 20k. Top prize should be fixed at 10 million.

Example: if there are 9000 entrants, pay as follows:

801-900: $20k
701-800: $25k
601-700: $30k
501-600: $35k
401-500: $40k
301-400: $45k
201-300: $50k
101-200: $60k
90-100: $75k
82-90: $90k
73-81: $110k
64-72: $140k
55-63: $190k
46-54: $250k
37-45: $320K
28-36: $400k
19-27: $500k
16th-18th: 600k
13th-15th: 700k
10th-12th: 850k
9th: 1M
8th: 1.15M
7th: 1.3M
6th: 1.5M
5th: 2M
4th: 3M
3rd: 4M
2nd: 6M
1st: 10M

I did this by hand in 10 minutes. I haven't added it up, but I'm sure it can be adjusted slighly to make it add up to the right amount.

This payout is not so top heavy as the one they use. But I think it is better for poker to have the money more spread out.

My other pet peeve is that they penalize using the F-word immediately, but they allow talking about the hands during multiway pots, which is clearly unethical.

Barry

JP OSU
09-28-2006, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My other pet peeve is that they penalize using the F-word immediately, but they allow talking about the hands during multiway pots, which is clearly unethical.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT... This is such a huge problem relative to the F-word problem... Many new to the poker world do not take this vital rule seriously...

DagnyTaggert
09-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Eliminate 11-handed play in hold 'em events. To accomplish this they may need to use another room for cash game tables, single-table satellites, and second chance tournaments. They may also have to cap entries at 2000 for preliminary events.

NL hold 'em is a 9-handed game. 10-handed is too much, but acceptable until tables break. 11-handed is outrageous.

Moving cash games, STS, and second chance events to a seperate room would probably help floor staff stay focused and do a better job supervising all events/games.

On another note, it may be worth allowing players to buy-in to events online and then print out their table/seat assignment at home. Kind of like buying an airline ticket. It always seems very congested and hectic around the cashier cage and will call desk.

My WSOP experiences have been very frustrating and much of the frustration comes from dealing with poor organization and obvious price gouging/greed from Harrah's.

During a recent discussion with a friend I compared how well Harrah's meets customer expectations for the WSOP with playing golf at Pebble Beach.

For an amatuer poker player, playing in the WSOP is the most exciting and anticipated event of the year. Similarly, for an amatuer golfer, a round at Pebble Beach is a rare treat.

Many customers at the WSOP feel taken for granted and maybe even slighted. Most customers at Pebble Beach leave feeling exhilerated, pampered, - and though the round cost at least four or five times a "normal" round - like they got a great value and life long memories of the round.

My above comparison may be unfair to Harrah's, but they should aspire to improve the customer experience at the WSOP. I for one will choose to play other events in the future if they can't make some progress in this area in 2007.

Guthrie
09-28-2006, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing $10 didn't go too far /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently two bottles of water, with tip.

CarpeDiem
09-29-2006, 12:28 AM
This was my first time there.

The Cashier's line was quite long, as were some of the registration lines. There must be a 21st century solution for this.

The crowds in the hallways were still hard to get through--maybe 3 staggered breaks over the course of an hour.

The dealers I spoke too were PROFOUNDLY unhappy and would not return. Some of the dealers were not well trained.

I like Barry's prize structure--seems more reasonable, and 10K profit is nice too.

A little wider area for spectators would be nice, too.

I liked the "big food" in the concession area--it was pricey but filling and worth it. Could still use more food stalls.

ohkanada
09-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I only played the main event and the biggest issue I saw was the dealers. I would say that 70% or more of the dealers on my 1st day would at some point during their down, complain about harrahs or the wsop. Not real optimal.

Although having 2 different breaks seemed to work, there were a few cases at the beginning of the 1st day, where we were barely able to make it back to our seat before the break ended. Forcing players to leave at the break seemed silly to me.

I also agree with Barry's payout structure. No reason to give 15 million for 1st next year.

Ken

alphatmw
09-29-2006, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Greg:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

And some people still think that Mason has no sense of humor. lol foodstampaments.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

tipperdog
09-29-2006, 02:31 PM
This suggestion is also so obvious that I'm sure it's already on your list but....

The "day of" changing of events was bizzare and misleading. I didn't play in either event, so my account may be off but it was reported that:

1) A PLO event changed to a PLO+rebuy event without advance notice and then a second PLO freezout was added the same day; and

2) The shoot-out event went short-handed without notice.

You can't change an event mid-stream.

Also, in a few cases blind levels were added to slow the pace of play, reportedly at the request of the players. I'm sure it's true that pro players wanted a slower structure, but it doesn't matter. You can't change the published rules in the middle of the game! As an amateur, I develop my strategy based on the published structure. It's unfair to change mid-stream.

Bobby Cannoli
09-29-2006, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My thought was that either Harrah's or that possibly even Harrah's would allow the council to seek out sponsors for covering some of the vig.

This could even be done event by event. They could call it money added to the prize pool or something like that.

For example you would have the $2,000 NLHE event with $40,000 added to the prize pool by "beer company x" or "poker website y".

If Harrah's compromised a little on the vig percentage, and it was possible to have sponsors add to the prize pool, you could reduce the players burden considerably.

Just an idea.

Peace,

KennyBanya

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent idea, and is actually already practiced in some (non-poker) events. At the Indy 500, they have "lap prizes" consisting of $500/lap that goes to the driver which leads that lap. This money is sponsored by all sorts of companies, organizations, and individuals, who are listed in the program. This is a fun way for people who are not drivers or team owners (the VAST majority) to participate in the race, and gets a company or group a little (cheap) advertising.

The WSOP could do this by having a company add to the overall prize pool, or add special prizes based on whatever the hell they feel like ($1000 bonus to the short stack still surviving on day 3, for instance).

There is a lot that could be done with this, if they felt motivated to do it.

Bobby

MrFizzbin
10-01-2006, 01:52 AM
I'd like to carp about the Single table Sats.:
1) Too few Chips
2) Double the entry, pay 2 places
3) Too High a Vig...

Circuit Bitches...

FWIW this 11 handed stuff is crap. We played 2 $300.00 events at tunica 11 handed from 631 + (190 alternates). down to 250. They didnt start pulling the 11th chair till 43 (count em ) 43 tables had been cleared. In my opinion thats crap.

aggie
10-01-2006, 07:20 PM
I guess if i had to make one complaint it would be about playing 11-handed. If i'm paying $1500 which already includes outrageous vig (and i don't expect that you're going to cut this) I expect to be comfortable at the very least. Squeezing 11 onto those tables is rediculous.

ravenfan1733
10-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Couple of suggestions:

1. If you want accurate end of day chip counts, require the dealer to initial the bag after bagging. There was absolutely no verification of chips at the end of each day -I could have written whatever number I wanted to.

2. Make the payout form dealer friendly by allowing a player to check a box allowing for a $ amount or % amount to be deducted for a tip (when receiving winnings). Even if only a small number of people choose to donate, this would help dealer morale tremendously (yes, I know HET already deducts for this).

3. The TV table should have been rotated more often, players like Negreanu and Hachem got to play all day at the TV table and were able to build nice chip stacks because people didn't want to look stupid on TV. There were enough pros at the event to rotate that table more.

4. Don't ever reduce the 20 minute breaks - needed every minute!

5. The $10 coupon for a $10,000 event is a joke - cost $27 for a buffet!

6. I echo the comments regarding 11-handed tables (although all mine were 10) and vig.

olivert
10-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Find a building in the UK that is capable of handling the crowds.

It is obvious that the WSOP won't be in Vegas next year.

MrFizzbin
10-03-2006, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps they could move it to China, I hear thats the next big thing in poker....

Good Grief why wouldn't they hold it in Vega$ will it be closed for remodling....

olivert
10-03-2006, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps they could move it to China, I hear thats the next big thing in poker....

Good Grief why wouldn't they hold it in Vega$ will it be closed for remodling....

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the choice of:

1. Las Vegas, where Harrah's can't allow the .com's to advertise at the Gaming Lifestyle Expo and where the majority of the players can't play on a .com real-money online gaming site, or

2. London, where Harrah's can allow the .com's to advertise at the Gaming Lifestyle Expo and where the majority of players can legally play on a .com real-money online gaming site,

Which location makes more sense for the WSOP Main Event?

You answer that question.

I will answer London 100 out of 100 times.

You still view the WSOP as a poker tournament business.

Harrah's now view the WSOP as a televised "sports" ENTERTAINMENT event business.

NickMPK
10-03-2006, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the choice of:

1. Las Vegas, where Harrah's can't allow the .com's to advertise at the Gaming Lifestyle Expo and where the majority of the players can't play on a .com real-money online gaming site, or

2. London, where Harrah's can allow the .com's to advertise at the Gaming Lifestyle Expo and where the majority of players can legally play on a .com real-money online gaming site,

Which location makes more sense for the WSOP Main Event?

You answer that question.

I will answer London 100 out of 100 times.

Harrah's now view the WSOP as a televised "sports" ENTERTAINMENT event business.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd. I'm sure Harrah's makes much more money from player entry fees and associated hotels costs/side games/other gambling by WSOP players than it does from gaming life expo online vendors.

Holding the WSOP in another country would dramatically cut the number of players entering most of the events. The majority of the players playing the in the Main Event this year were Americans who qualified online, but this is certainly not true for the other 40-something events of the WSOP. Moving the WSOP to another country would strangle the life out of these events, causing Harrah's to lose a month's worth of big casino revenues.

Ignignokt
10-03-2006, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly "poker players." Playing your "poker" and thinking those "pots" you win mean "success," when really the only "success" is when you get on "TV" and secure an "endorsement" with RegisteredBusinessNameNoOneKnowsOrCaresAbout, Inc.

olivert
10-03-2006, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is absurd. I'm sure Harrah's makes much more money from player entry fees and associated hotels costs/side games/other gambling by WSOP players than it does from gaming life expo online vendors.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO.

According to WSOP Director of Communications and Operations Gary Thompson, the WSOP did NOT generate a positive return on investment (ROI) for Harrah's until the 2005 WSOP, when the WSOP Gaming Life Expo was introduced.

(I still have my notes from a sit-down interview I did with WSOP Commissioner Jeffrey Pollack with Thompson present. )

The tournament poker business had always been a break-even business AT BEST until revenue streams from integrated sponsorships, product placement deals, and booth rentals at the WSOP Gaming Life Expo became available to Harrah's.

I expect Harrah's to move the WSOP to a location outside the U.S. where Harrahs' can maintain those revenue streams, which are absolutely necessary for Harrah's to make ANY money on the WSOP.

[ QUOTE ]

Holding the WSOP in another country would dramatically cut the number of players entering most of the events. The majority of the players playing the in the Main Event this year were Americans who qualified online, but this is certainly not true for the other 40-something events of the WSOP. Moving the WSOP to another country would strangle the life out of these events, causing Harrah's to lose a month's worth of big casino revenues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, Harrah's does not make much if any money running poker tournaments, including the WSOP tournaments. The tournament poker business itself has always been a break-even business at best.

Harrah's makes money from the WSOP via the revenue generated from booth rentals at the WSOP Gaming Life Expo, and via integrated sponsorships and product placement deals (Miller Brewing and PartyGaming are the two biggest deals.)

Harrah's hired the likes of Jeffrey Pollack from NASCAR and Ty Stewart from the NFL in order to transform the WSOP from a break-even tournament poker business into a money-making TELEVISED "SPORTS" ENTERTAINMENT EVENT business.

Let's put it this way, if Harrah's were happy with the WSOP being just a poker tournament business that breaks even AT BEST, Harrah's wouldn't have gone through the trouble of hiring Mr. Pollack and Mr. Stewart in the first place.

olivert
10-03-2006, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly "poker players." Playing your "poker" and thinking those "pots" you win mean "success," when really the only "success" is when you get on "TV" and secure an "endorsement" with RegisteredBusinessNameNoOneKnowsOrCaresAbout, Inc.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, genius.

Please explain why 64 of the "best poker players in the world" opted to SKIP this week's Trump Taj Mahal U.S. Poker Championship, which has "wall-to-wall" TV coverage by ESPN, with 2 feature TV tables each day, until the final table.

If your answer is "those 64 players opted for GUARANTEED TV EXPOSURE at the Professional Poker LEAGUE inaugural draft at the Venetian in Las Vegas this coming Saturday", then you have the right answer.

TV EXPOSURE TIME now drives the decision-making process of every poker player who has made the successful transition to becoming ENTERTAINMENT TALENT.

The difference between you and the likes of Phil Gordon, Annie Duke and Evelyn Ng is very clear: you still think of yourself as a poker player, while the likes of Mr. Gordon, Ms. Duke and Ms. Ng make money hand over fist, with no risk, as ENTERTAINMENT TALENT.

The one poker player who has arguably made the most of his successful transition to being ENTERTAINMENT TALENT is none other than Phil Hellmuth, who is perhaps the most-hated individual among the 2+2 crowd. I am willing to be that Mr. Hellmuth is laughing all the way to the bank with all the money he has made in the ENTERTAINMENT industry. Oh, by the way, Mr. Hellmuth has 10 WSOP bracelets, which are 10 more than most of you (or I) have.

NickMPK
10-03-2006, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NO.

According to WSOP Director of Communications and Operations Gary Thompson, the WSOP did NOT generate a positive return on investment (ROI) for Harrah's until the 2005 WSOP, when the WSOP Gaming Life Expo was introduced.

(I still have my notes from a sit-down interview I did with WSOP Commissioner Jeffrey Pollack with Thompson present. )

The tournament poker business had always been a break-even business AT BEST until revenue streams from integrated sponsorships, product placement deals, and booth rentals at the WSOP Gaming Life Expo became available to Harrah's.

I expect Harrah's to move the WSOP to a location outside the U.S. where Harrahs' can maintain those revenue streams, which are absolutely necessary for Harrah's to make ANY money on the WSOP.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, Harrah's does not make much if any money running poker tournaments, including the WSOP tournaments. The tournament poker business itself has always been a break-even business at best.

Harrah's makes money from the WSOP via the revenue generated from booth rentals at the WSOP Gaming Life Expo, and via integrated sponsorships and product placement deals (Miller Brewing and PartyGaming are the two biggest deals.)

Harrah's hired the likes of Jeffrey Pollack from NASCAR and Ty Stewart from the NFL in order to transform the WSOP from a break-even tournament poker business into a money-making TELEVISED "SPORTS" ENTERTAINMENT EVENT business.

Let's put it this way, if Harrah's were happy with the WSOP being just a poker tournament business that breaks even AT BEST, Harrah's wouldn't have gone through the trouble of hiring Mr. Pollack and Mr. Stewart in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Casinos may not make a lot of profu merely from entry fees, but they more than make up for it through other spending (on hotels rooms, food, side gambling) by tournament entrants.

The fact that Harrah's was able to generate any revenue from gamine life expo ads is a result of the WSOP attracting so many entrants. If the WSOP were moved out of the country, the number of entrants would plummet, and this advertising revenue would dry up, as well as all the other revenue sources these huge fields generate..

olivert
10-03-2006, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Casinos may not make a lot of profu merely from entry fees, but they more than make up for it through other spending (on hotels rooms, food, side gambling) by tournament entrants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those revenues are "a drop in the bucket", considering that most casino patrons do NOT take part in the WSOP.

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that Harrah's was able to generate any revenue from gamine life expo ads is a result of the WSOP attracting so many entrants. If the WSOP were moved out of the country, the number of entrants would plummet, and this advertising revenue would dry up, as well as all the other revenue sources these huge fields generate..

[/ QUOTE ]

The WSOP Gaming Life Expo only runs at the START of the WSOP Main Event.

About 75% of WSOP Main Event participants do NOT play any other WSOP bracelet event.

Harrah's makes most of its money from the WSOP during the Main Event, both from integrated sponsorships, produce placement deals, and booth rental at the WSOP Gaming Life Expo.

Let's put it this way, if the WSOP Main Event were split from the rest of the WSOP and is held in conjunction with ONLY the WSOP Gaming Life Expo, Harrah's would still make most of its money associated with the WSOP brand during those 3 or 4 days when the WSOP Gaming Life Expo is in progress.

Those online qualifiers who are based in Europe, where online poker has exploded, would welcome the shorter commute to London than to Las Vegas in order to play the WSOP Main Event.

With that said, I would like Harrah's to be able to hold the WSOP in an suitable building with the adequate facilities and services, even if that building will be in London rather than in Las Vegas, because the new U.S. law will force Harrah's to move the WSOP outside the US in order to maintain its revenue streams in order to achieve a positive ROI.

Black Aces 518
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
prop bet on 2007 WSOP ME in/out of United States?

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

StrayBullet
10-03-2006, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[According to WSOP Director of Communications and Operations Gary Thompson, the WSOP did NOT generate a positive return on investment (ROI) for Harrah's until the 2005 WSOP, when the WSOP Gaming Life Expo was introduced.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO....how much did they rake on the ME alone? LMFAO!!!

Ignignokt
10-03-2006, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, genius.

Please explain why 64 of the "best poker players in the world" opted to SKIP this week's Trump Taj Mahal U.S. Poker Championship, which has "wall-to-wall" TV coverage by ESPN, with 2 feature TV tables each day, until the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly "poker players," with your "relevant comments" and your "on-topic" posts. Don't you know my superior knowledge of company names and who skipped tournaments people barely cared about LAST year PROVES my manhood more than any actual GIRLFRIEND could?

Vee Quiva
10-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Olivert,

I appreciate your knowledge and comments about the World Series in general. However, you have hijacked a legitimate post by Bob Feduniak asking for feedback on the "operations of the event"

Moderators. Please fix this thread so the non relevant posts are moved off of it.

olivert
10-04-2006, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Olivert,

I appreciate your knowledge and comments about the World Series in general. However, you have hijacked a legitimate post by Bob Feduniak asking for feedback on the "operations of the event"

Moderators. Please fix this thread so the non relevant posts are moved off of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have posted what I think the first priority for Harrah's is to maintain the WSOP "experience" in light of the new U.S. law: finding an adequate building in LONDON to hold the 2007 WSOP

That is absolutely within topic.

Ignignokt
10-04-2006, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have posted what I think the first priority for Harrah's is to maintain the WSOP "experience" in light of the new U.S. law: finding an adequate building in LONDON to hold the 2007 WSOP

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that those playing the drinking game must chug now.

StrayBullet
10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that those playing the drinking game must chug now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only China, but if this persists, then yes, London will require a, DRINK F'rs! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrFizzbin
10-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Ok enough hijacking the thread... my suggestion for the players council, is keep the WSOP in the United States. Please don't export our game to London or China.

scottc25
10-05-2006, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is what I got for the $10:

Cheeseburger
Bag of Chips
Can of soda

= $10

+ $1 tip out pf pocket to the cashier.

It filled me up. I do agree that a $10 coupon for a $1500+ event is -EV. Better than nothing though. Small steps.