PDA

View Full Version : Stealing theory hypothesis

DJ Sensei
01-02-2006, 02:15 AM
During a particularly card-dead session tonight, I had a thought.

Heres the situation. You're in late position in a standard loose-weak SSNL game (full ring). There are 3, or 4, or even 5 limpers ahead of you. You look down to see 2 rags. (Not two big cards, not two playable cards, but straight, utter, trash.)

You make an appropriately large raise, in an attempt to steal the blinds of these weak-ass limpers.

Can this be +EV?

If so, what conditions need to be in place for this to happen, and when is it best used?

HoldenFoldem
01-02-2006, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You make an appropriately large raise, in an attempt to steal the blinds of these weak-ass limpers.

Can this be +EV?

If so, what conditions need to be in place for this to happen, and when is it best used?

[/ QUOTE ]
Scotch and water should be to the right with mostly just water left. Peanuts to the left. With these conditions in place, this might work.

Maulik
01-02-2006, 05:12 AM
this table has to be tight. I make this move when someone posts a dead blind + limper, I swoop in efficiently and take it away from them.

12age
01-02-2006, 06:11 AM
You sound like an eagle. I love that imagery.

Thundercat32
01-02-2006, 07:12 AM
I think this is dangerous but at times necessary.

I'm not sure where I stand on stealing these days. Last night, I did close to what you are talking about... I guess my trouble is when you make a play at stealing blinds with trash you win small pots, but when you get called and than make continuation bets, you lose big pots.

Last night I decided I hadn't played very many hands (I think it was like something like 12% in 73 or so hands at my current table) so I decided to raise big from UTG with K,7s. I knew it was trash and I knew it was risky but I was fully expecting to showdown with a bluff to set myself up for later. Change my table image to an idiot essentially.

I was at a 1/2 table so my raise was to 8, one caller the button. flop comes all small cards, I think 4,8,10 rainbow (I know it was a rainbow, but not sure of the specific cards something similar) Anyways I bet 2/3 the pot. The turn is a 3, I bet 2/3 the pot, he calls. The river was a blank, I bet the pot (hoping he'll finally fold) and he calls, shows JJ and I lose.

Now I was able to set myself up for later and win a small portion of the $145 I dumped in that hand, but I'm not sure if I'd do it again.

right after I read Super System (No limit section) I got things out of line and got SUPER AGGRESSIVE! I raised and reraised nearly every pot for 45 minutes and went up $341 playing $1/2 and $2/4

However I quickly lost that and much more later.

That experience taught me that you can win with trash and that continuation betting will work (unless your opponent has the nuts or is LAG too).

Still stealing is very, very important!

These are my factors I look for when deciding to steal
Am I in position?
Have I bluffed recently? What did I showdown with lately?
Is my opponent(s) tight? Don't ever try to bluff multiple players with junk (does not work, somebody has something and will call, especially in lower stakes, where unskilled players will call you down to the river, Don't do it)

Are my opponents checking? or did they make a post oak bluff/bet?

When they are weak I bounce

zaphod
01-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Why not save this move for when you are in CO or button? I think the flop cb is fine, but i would stop there. Especially the river bet looks bad, what hands are he folding here?