PDA

View Full Version : How Much Sponsorship Money Did Final Table Players Make?

Vee Quiva
09-11-2006, 01:14 PM
I saw this interesting blog post regarding 2+2's own Technologic.
Party Poker or PokerStars? (http://www.pokerblog.com/tags/party+players)

I also saw Richard Lee's press conference after the raid on his house where he claimed that all of the major poker sites were offerring him ten of thousands of dollars to wear their gear at the final table and he said no so he could wear his San Antonio shirt.

Can anyone tell me how much these players are offerred to wear the online site logos at the final table of the WSOP?

JohnFR
09-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Technologic won his seat in a $650.

lancev99
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
This is from memory, so I might ( i bet i am) wrong on this, and this is only from Stars. If you took the Hotel stay, instead of the $1000 cash, you would make 250k if finished 6th-9th, 500k 2-5, and 1 million extra if you won the ME. But again, I might be wrong.

technologic
09-11-2006, 11:19 PM
stars

1k base
100k 9-4th
250k 3-2nd
1m 1st

technologic
09-11-2006, 11:27 PM
i do indeed play on party for my cash games. this is why i said i played on party initially, i didn't exactly correct myself, but i added that i won my seat on stars. (i generally don't like playing on stars where the game i played, 2/4 NL, was a nitfest)

Assani Fisher
09-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Have you had any addittional sponsorship offers? Do you expect to get any once you're shown more on TV? Does that money from Stars bind you to be sponsored by them for any length of time? Would you ever consider hiring an agent to take advantage of your "fame" to make more money?

Thanks for any answers man.

technologic
09-23-2006, 01:36 AM
no, no (pokerstars has yet to contact their final survivor), no, probably not (7th isn't very marketable, i'd think)

olivert
09-26-2006, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no, no (pokerstars has yet to contact their final survivor), no, probably not (7th isn't very marketable, i'd think)

[/ QUOTE ]

FACT #1: 2nd place at the WSOP main event is not very marketable.

David Williams's deal with Bodog.NET is essentially a staking deal, which requires him to replenish what he draws down if and when he cashes.

Steve Dannenmann got NOTHING, and deservedly so, after he screwed himself by saying "Poker is boring" at the press conference after the 2005 Main Event. No online poker school wants anything to do with him.

888.com (formerly Pacific Poker) did NOT sign Paul Wasicka to a long-term deal, as 888.com has gone whole hog with sponsoring professional snooker players instead, with 4 snooker players from the UK, and a 19-year old sensation from Jiangsu, China named Ding Junhui, who speaks Mandarin Chinese (The "888" brand was deliberately chosen by the owners of what used to be known as Pacific Poker to target gamblers in the Chinese-speaking world, according to one 888.com marketing rep I spoke with during the WSOP.)

(Photo of Ding Junhui below.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/Ding_Junhui.jpg

--

FACT #2: women, particularly photogenic women, are 10 times more marketable then men in the poker world.

(Exhibit A: Erica Schoenberg, who got a 3-year deal from MANSION that is believed to be worth around $1.2 million total, or around $400,000 a year, with ZERO track record in the poker world other than 2 appearances on GSN's Young Bloods prior to signing the deal. She used the money to bankroll her 16th place finish at the 2006 WPT Championship.)

http://www.bankrollboost.com/images/Ericalogo.jpg

Right now, the hottest "free agent" in the poker world is Victoria Coren, the first woman to win a TELEVISED, OPEN EVENT (not an invitational) on either the WPT, WSOP, or the EPT.

Coren, a BBC TV host (presenter), won the EPT in London on Sunday.

Coren moved ahead of "free agents" Joanne Liu and Kelli Griggs, who finished 1st and 2nd at WPT Ladies Night IV in August.

Coren's most notable MINUS: she smokes cigarettes. Smoking definitely hurts her image and therefore hurts her marketability.

Whichever entity that signs Coren to an online poker sponsorship contract (and the contract will be in the 7 figures if Coren's agent is not an idiot) will likely demand a "no smoking" clause in the contract.

http://www.davebudd.org.uk/VCSC/vicki3.jpg

Kevmath
09-27-2006, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Steve Dannenmann got NOTHING, and deservedly so, after he screwed himself by saying "Poker is boring" at the press conference after the 2005 Main Event. No online poker school wants anything to do with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the fact that he has his business to run and would rather keep that job rather than playing poker full time?

Also, I don't recall anyone asking about snooker sponsorships in this thread Oliver. Just because someone put on an 888.info hat doesn't mean for you to include yet another reference to China's pending poker/gambling boom.

olivert
09-27-2006, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the fact that he has his business to run and would rather keep that job rather than playing poker full time?

Also, I don't recall anyone asking about snooker sponsorships in this thread Oliver. Just because someone put on an 888.info hat doesn't mean for you to include yet another reference to China's pending poker/gambling boom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tsk, tsk, when are you ever going to learn?

FACT: Steven Dannenmann hired the same Baltimore-based agent that represent Cal Ripken, Jr. to try to get Dannenmann an online poker endorsement deal.

I know for certain that Dannenmann's agent shopped Dannenmann to P----S---.NET, but was rejected.

--

Also, you are welcome to keep hating me for bringing up exactly why:

1. Pacific Poker was rebranded 888.com: the rebranding was SPECIFICALLY DONE for 888.com to go after the China market, nothing more, nothing less.

2. Why 888.com does not sponsor poker players long term, preferring to sponsor snooker players and 2nd-rate pro soccer teams instead (much more bang for the buck, with guaranteed "impressions".)

3. Why 888.com snapped up snooker player Ding Junhui instead of other Chinese-speaking "sports" personalities (lots of "impressions" from TV viewers in China, who gets to watch EVERY televised snooker tournament Mr. Ding enters in the UK.)

I brought up 888.com because Paul Wasicka finished 2nd while he was getting paid big money to wear a baseball cap with an "888.info" info, but 888.com did NOT offer Wasicka an endorsement deal to stay with 888.com afterward.

---

One other note: SportingBet PLC, which runs Paradisepoker.com, has recently launched a Chinese-language site, including an online poker room, under the "SB28" brand name. "2 8" rhymes with "getting rich easily" in Cantonese.

TStoneMBD
09-27-2006, 10:26 AM
i remember talking to sthief about an idea i had a year ago about starting a company that stakes beautiful, and skilled female poker players in tournaments where people buy shares of the arrangement. the backers keep 90% of the tournament winnings through contract and the contract states that 50% of all endorsement deals the female receives over several years must be given to the backers. all youd need to do is get a girl with 10% ROI to break even and if she gets famous and lands a 1.2m deal like shoenberg did the company makes 600k. kinda wish i followed through even though the idea of it all is pretty far out there and it might not be possible to write an appropriate contract for the idea.

matt85
09-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Small point in reference to the 'second rate soccer teams' comment.

888.com currently sponsor Middlesbrough FC, last years UEFA Cup finalists, 2004 Carling Cup Winners and the club who recently gave England their new manager.

Were not second rate!

Matt.

(Boro fan /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

olivert
09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Small point in reference to the 'second rate soccer teams' comment.

888.com currently sponsor Middlesbrough FC, last years UEFA Cup finalists, 2004 Carling Cup Winners and the club who recently gave England their new manager.

Were not second rate!

Matt.

(Boro fan /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Boro finished 14th out of 20th in the 2005-2006 English Premier League season, and got only a silver medal from the UEFA Cup Final, in which it was blown out by Sevilla.

That is 2nd rate in my book.

888.com signed Sevilla during the summer. Sevilla will always be a 2nd rate club, as the Spanish League is structured so that every club with the exception of Real Madrid and Barcelona have to turn a profit each and every year, while Real Madrid and Barcelona can lose 100 million Euros each and not face sanctions.

maryfield48
09-29-2006, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Kev, you can at least give him props for the way he sidled into it. I go into every oliver post full of suspense about how he's going to work China in there.

jbrent33
09-29-2006, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. Pacific Poker was rebranded 888.com: the rebranding was SPECIFICALLY DONE for 888.com to go after the China market, nothing more, nothing less.

2. Why 888.com does not sponsor poker players long term, preferring to sponsor snooker players and 2nd-rate pro soccer teams instead (much more bang for the buck, with guaranteed "impressions".)

3. Why 888.com snapped up snooker player Ding Junhui instead of other Chinese-speaking "sports" personalities (lots of "impressions" from TV viewers in China, who gets to watch EVERY televised snooker tournament Mr. Ding enters in the UK.)

I brought up 888.com because Paul Wasicka finished 2nd while he was getting paid big money to wear a baseball cap with an "888.info" info, but 888.com did NOT offer Wasicka an endorsement deal to stay with 888.com afterward.

---

One other note: SportingBet PLC, which runs Paradisepoker.com, has recently launched a Chinese-language site, including an online poker room, under the "SB28" brand name. "2 8" rhymes with "getting rich easily" in Cantonese.

[/ QUOTE ]
They play poker in China? Please elaborate

Vee Quiva
09-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Let me reign this topic back in....
Doug-thanks for the update on Poker Stars structure.

I guess I need to restate my question.

I am sure everyone that won their seat online had to sign on with that sites sponsorship agreement.

What I was wondering is if the competing online companies were throwing money at the players to jump ship and wear their gear at the final table.

For instance, let's use Doug's example. Doug won his seat on Poker Stars. The day before the final table, Party Poker hears that Doug plays on their site. Party says, "whatever Pokerstars is offerring you, we will double it." (disclaimer-this situation was fictional)

This is the kind of stuff I was interested in hearing about.

olivert
09-29-2006, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me reign this topic back in....
Doug-thanks for the update on Poker Stars structure.

I guess I need to restate my question.

I am sure everyone that won their seat online had to sign on with that sites sponsorship agreement.

What I was wondering is if the competing online companies were throwing money at the players to jump ship and wear their gear at the final table.

For instance, let's use Doug's example. Doug won his seat on Poker Stars. The day before the final table, Party Poker hears that Doug plays on their site. Party says, "whatever Pokerstars is offerring you, we will double it." (disclaimer-this situation was fictional)

This is the kind of stuff I was interested in hearing about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because PokerStars required Doug Kim to sign a contract prior to buying him into the Main Event, and because Doug Kim signed the contract, he had to honor the contract which had a provision requiring him to wear a PokerStars.NET logo.

There is obviously a penalty for breaching the contract, including the forfeiture of the logo fee that PokerStars had already paid the player, plus additional legal costs that may be incurred.

grdred944
10-18-2006, 10:16 AM
As always, the best info comes from Oliver. Thanks.

However -- What else hurts marketability is being too hefty. Put 20lbs. on her when she quits smoking and see how marketable she is.

[ QUOTE ]

Coren's most notable MINUS: she smokes cigarettes. Smoking definitely hurts her image and therefore hurts her marketability.

http://www.davebudd.org.uk/VCSC/vicki3.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

IUbullets
10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
y would u bump this thread with nothing to add

N 82 50 24
10-29-2006, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
so people like me who missed it could see the picture of erica s.

also i was unaware that olivert thought china might have potential to become like an atlantic city-level destination. i always assumed that china had at least reno-like ability.

Clayton
10-29-2006, 02:06 AM
binger had 300k put into his FT account

Vee Quiva
10-29-2006, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you acquire this information?

Red Lion
10-30-2006, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its easy. Make it up.

yellowsub
10-30-2006, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i told it to Clayton, & i was sitting 50/100 nl w/ Binger in niagara, having a convo about his wearing the FTP hat.

booyakasha

shaniac
10-31-2006, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i told it to Clayton, & i was sitting 50/100 nl w/ Binger in niagara, having a convo about his wearing the FTP hat.

booyakasha

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, it's worth 300K to them for him to wear the hat at that FT, huh?

ravenfan1733
10-31-2006, 01:04 PM
I played with a guy at the WSOP ME who qualified through FT, made it to Day 5 but didn't make the top 100, never was on the TV table, but got about 1 second of exposure on ESPN -- FT put $5K in his account. So I think it's not unreasonable to assume they would put $300K in Binger's account.

Clayton
10-31-2006, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

booyakasha

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i figured dropping my source without permission would be gay, and throwing out the truth without backing it up is def NVG royalty

grdred944
10-31-2006, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doctor, heal thyself

aba20
11-10-2006, 01:16 PM
I was offered 5K to wear a FTP hat or shirt for the WSOPC event I final tabled.

Tonding
11-10-2006, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

booyakasha

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, it's worth 300K to them for him to wear the hat at that FT, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't FTP even have a statemant on their website on how much they would add to a player's winnings if they final tabled.

VoTrooper99
11-11-2006, 12:57 AM
I think it was 100k for a final table appearance and 10 million for a win.