PDA

View Full Version : All in reraise?

J.A.K.
01-25-2006, 11:01 PM
What % of your stack must the original raise be before your reraise must be an all in?

5-10 NL Ring Game
Action folds to MP1 who raises to $80
Folds to Hero in BB who has t300 and Q,Q

Is this an automatic push? I don't know if this is a good example in that I am looking for a general guideline in these situations(where we believe we are best right now). Is there a correlation between our edge PF against his range and the amount we reraise?

AaronBrown
01-25-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Suppose you knew your opponent held AJs, with neither of your Q's matching the suit. You have two chances in three of winning. If MP1 folds, you collect $85 (forget the small blind to keep it simple). If she calls a raise of X, your EV is [85 + X]/3, ignoring the post flop betting and chance of a reraise. If you raise $170, you don't care whether she calls or folds.

Clearly you want to raise more than $170. At worst she folds and you have the same EV as if you raised $170, at best you have a higher EV. How much more depends on your read of her, your overall strategy and your expectation post flop and under a reraise. $300 might be a reasonable raise, but it's certainly not automatic.

Now, in real poker, you don't know what she's holding. You might consider a range of likely hands and decide that $170 or some other raise was a good value. You have to keep in mind that you'll get called or reraised when she holds AA or KK, and she'll likely fold giving you the $85 when she holds JTo.

J.A.K.
01-25-2006, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Now, in real poker, you don't know what she's holding. You might consider a range of likely hands and decide that $170 or some other raise was a good value.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I decide this? We'll put her range on KQo-AK, 99-AA.