PDA

View Full Version : Do Skilled Blackjack players go on tilt as much as Poker Players?

CaucasianAsian29
01-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I've never played a game of Black jack for real money, so I apoligize if this is a stupid quesiton. But, it would seem that "tilt" would be less of a factor, because your not playing other players, you stick to a basic strategy and counting cards which is something that seems more automatic than poker. Once again I apoligize, this is just a question out of curiosity.

CaucasianAsian29
01-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Or I guess, do they go on the same type of tilt?

SheetWise
01-25-2006, 10:42 PM
After a while, it just seems like a 9 to 5 grind. I've spent as long as six weeks "working" to lose 200k, and then spent another 12 weeks "getting even" -- and never really noticed it. It's just time and expectation. When you "win" 50k in one session, it's not real -- when you lose, it's not real either.

A big difference in poker is that you don't really know what your expectation is. When you have a big swing in poker, you can suffocate under all of the "what if's" -- there are no "what if's" in blackjack.

WhiteWolf
01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
I can imagine the rant now: "So I was playing at this 6-deck shoe, and the dealer hit on her sixteen, drew a five and beat my 20! Can you beleive she hit, drawing to 24 outs? Damn fish."

RikaKazak
01-26-2006, 06:05 AM
I used to play blackjack/count cards, and yes, you can go on tilt. When the true count is say 2, and you're suppose to bet "$50" we'll say, if you're angry, you know that at +2 it's +ev (altough only slightly) so you "overbet" your bankroll (bet say $200), happened to me a few times 2 years ago.

Shaggy
01-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Absolutely agree with SheetWise.
A blackjack player knows that he needs to bet a given amount at a certain count. If he loses a hand, with a big bet, he knows that the money was put in with an advantage. That sort of reassurance is nice. But it still sucks to get killed on an incredible shoe. I think my blackjack experience has helped me avoid (or mostly avoid) the tilt commonly associated with poker.

-Shaggy

Terry
01-26-2006, 03:35 PM
BJ plays a lot faster than poker. Being down 70 big bets is routine, being down 100 big bets happens regularly, so being able to stay off tilt is a vital survival factor.

I know a guy who is an absolute wizard with the math of the game; he can quote the figures of most any situation to three decimal places. Few people in the world know as much about the game as he does, but he can't control his tendency to tilt. Once he gets stuck in a session he starts chasing, hugely overbetting his bankroll trying to get even, usually ending up with empty pockets.

Like Shaggy said, my years as a BJ player helped me stay off tilt in poker, but it doesn't work for everybody.