PDA

View Full Version : How do the online superstars make money?

RussianBear
01-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I know how I make money online. I play a particular type of game, I identify the fish, and try to play pots with them as they overvalue their hands. My question is, when you have a table with Mahatma and Dustin and Neverwin and Hallingol, etc. who all play a pretty similar style, how do they make money, doesn't it sort of just go back and forth among them depending on who's hot that day, or, are there fish that play those games regularly that donate to them?

MCS
01-25-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm sure those guys are not all of equal skill. It's hard to actually know for sure if you're only a small loser, plus a couple of them have probably luckboxed their way to where they are. And being even slightly better than your average opponent makes you a pretty good wage at super-high stakes.

Also, I am sure some players tilt easily and dump money. I would think that a LOT of your win at the high limits comes from players who are on tilt, even if they're good when non-tilted.

dibbs
01-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Isn't Dustin neverin?

They all have different styles, and some of them very volatile to play against but exploitable. I agree with MCS that some pretty solid players are also huge donators when tilting.

I think it also comes down to really little things, holes that you can get away with in lower games but where the cushion money is in bigger games. Being one step ahead of the other guy wouldnt hurt either.

RussianBear
01-25-2006, 08:29 PM
I meant Dustin Dirksen.
Mahatma has had some huge tilting sessions, but he's still one wealthy mo-fo, which means someone is tilting off to him, so, who would that be? How are these guys net winners if they're taking turns relieving each other of tilt money.

Keepitsimple
01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I would guess that some players arent as good as they think; as good as we think. Its very easy to be decieved because of the high variance in poker.

tomdemaine
01-25-2006, 10:08 PM
money will also come into the system from players taking shots and failing. For every big success story you hear about there;s probably 4-5 players who gave it a try and failed.

dibbs
01-25-2006, 10:12 PM
They get shares of freshblood donators at time its not all them taking each others money. Many players arent as good as they or others think they are, and are exploitable at times. It just comes down to who reads hands better switches gears quick enough and has a good sense of EE in lots of different situations, doesnt soft steam or play their C game too much or tilt.

Mahat's wealth is under high debate right now, so who knows. Respected players thought Dirksen was a donk that was running really well when he first came on, I dont know about nowadays.

I'm not really qualified to answer this though, so JMO, be interested if any of the high and mid highnl nl vets chime in.

MicroBob
01-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Do those guys really sit around and just play each other all day?

Same question has been asked about those players in the 'big game'.
How to Greenstein, Ivey, Brunson, Harman, Chan, Giang make money in the $4k/$8k game when they're playing each other all the time?
Answer: Other players make appearances too. And of those 6 listed, some are probably a little bit better than others....so not all of them actually make money UNLESS somebody else comes to the table (but they might not know they are the one not making money).

RussianBear
01-26-2006, 02:37 AM
It would be nice of some of those who have played against them would give their opinion. I find it interesting, more so than the big game players. I haven't seen Mahatma, Dirksen, Krisqueen on for a while now. And I've just recently seen Takeover out again.

Keepitsimple
01-26-2006, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do those guys really sit around and just play each other all day?

How to Greenstein, Ivey, Brunson, Harman, Chan, Giang make money in the $4k/$8k game when they're playing each other all the time?
Answer: Other players make appearances too. And of those 6 listed, some are probably a little bit better than others....so not all of them actually make money UNLESS somebody else comes to the table (but they might not know they are the one not making money).

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder how they decide who gets the fish to his right in the big game.

Daliman
01-26-2006, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
money will also come into the system from players taking shots and failing. For every big success story you hear about there;s probably 40-50 players who gave it a try and failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

roy_miami
01-26-2006, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Greenstein says the biggest game in the room is usually better than the second biggest game. The high roller fish want to play in the BIGGEST game.

lefty rosen
01-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Watch one of these games and see a moron tourist degenerate type donate 1K or more multiple times to these guys on Stars or Party and you will see what they make their money on...... /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Riverman
01-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Tournaments

twang
01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Bonus whoring.

HotPants
01-26-2006, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bonus whoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say rakeback. Probably both

thedustbustr
01-26-2006, 04:06 PM
If a "fish" sits down at 4k-8k with ivey etc. and makes even one loose preflop call, thats 4k in profit on top of their regular .1bb/hr or whatever their hourly wage is. at super stakes it doesn't take much of a mistake at all for a pro to capitalize and make a fantastic living.

thedustbustr
01-26-2006, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bonus whoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say rakeback. Probably both

[/ QUOTE ]
I might be wrong, but once the rake reaches the cap at like $4 (dollars) per hand, it doesn't matter if you play 40/80 or 4000/8000, rake and rakeback is the same.

drewjustdrew
01-26-2006, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If a "fish" sits down at 4k-8k with ivey etc. and makes even one loose preflop call, thats 4k in profit on top of their regular .1bb/hr or whatever their hourly wage is. at super stakes it doesn't take much of a mistake at all for a pro to capitalize and make a fantastic living.

[/ QUOTE ]

A loose preflop call is theoretically not worth 100% of the bet amount.

idrinkcoors
01-27-2006, 01:59 AM
True story: I made Hollingol have to rebuy. Honest to goodness truth.

Okay, so maybe it was only at the $1/$2 nl game at the Rio during the WSOP, but I'm holding on to that memory.

RussianBear
01-27-2006, 02:50 AM
Wtf was that man doing playing 1-2 NL? He has to be loaded, or does he not play as high live?

idrinkcoors
01-27-2006, 03:36 PM
He was just drinking and having fun waiting for a bigger game. One time he went all in pre-flop BLIND, and busted some guys high pair with his 3/8 or something ridiculous. The high pair guy got up to leave all mad, making sure to tell us that this table was awful. Holligol basically told him that this would probably be the best table he could play at for potential profit, but the dude left anyway.

DangerGoodson
01-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Schneids is an online superstar. He doesn't do anything special, cept run hot.

g3rkshz
01-27-2006, 06:36 PM
i did a poll related to this and here's what i've come up with:

1. if you play the lower limits, like 3/6 and below, you HAVE to multi-table

2. if you play the medium to higher limits, you'll be fine just single-tabling

something like that. :/