PDA

View Full Version : Calling the SB and then folding to a raise...

ElSapo
01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Two limpers, I call in the SB with A-x. BB raises, two calls and I muck. Obviously offsuit. I look at the situation and think "too easily dominated," but is it wrong? Should I have not completed to begin with?

x < 9 in this situation, but that's sort of arbitrary I guess. I make the fold fairly routinely, and I'm wondering if this is a leak, and in which way.

caz
01-01-2006, 10:59 PM
I think this is player dependant. I'd call if the raiser had something like +25% pf raising (I see it more and more often).

Alexthegreat
01-01-2006, 11:00 PM
I always complete here, and getting 7-1 I wouldn't throw it away after the BB raises. If you flop 2 pair/trips/etc you are in a great position to trap the field for lots of bets.

ElSapo
01-01-2006, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always complete here, and getting 7-1 I wouldn't throw it away after the BB raises. If you flop 2 pair/trips/etc you are in a great position to trap the field for lots of bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true, the real question (I think) is what to do when I flop an ace. Finding out I'm behind could be expensive, and I'm not sure how you weigh the chances of making two pair or trips versus the times I'm behind and make top pair, versus making top pair and being ahead (tough to get much action).

ElSapo

milesdyson
01-01-2006, 11:38 PM
i have flicked my dung at the 2+2 way and have started doing this relatively often.

Dagger78
01-01-2006, 11:58 PM
If it's a leak it's nothing to worry about. I make the same play routinely myself. Only if the BB is a very loose raiser will I call here.

milesdyson
01-02-2006, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it's a leak it's nothing to worry about. I make the same play routinely myself. Only if the BB is a very loose raiser will I call here.

[/ QUOTE ]
if the BB is a very loose raiser it is reason not to call in the first place.

Dagger78
01-02-2006, 12:07 AM
good point

hero
01-02-2006, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i have flicked my dung at the 2+2 way and have started doing this relatively often.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a ? that I feel is one of my leaks, finding out when to make a stand against a pfr and realizing and folding when you're w/b.
Party 2/4-

Preflop: Hero is SB with A5o-
MP2 calls, CO calls, Hero completes, BB raises, all call.
(this is where reads and PT datamining help immensly)

Flop: Ad Js 7h
Hero?
--
Situation #2- Same Flop.
Hero checks, BB Bets, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero?

Since I figure BB's range as 99 or TT+, ATs+, AQo+ KQo+, I'd think a bet out/fold to flop raise line might save us $ when way behind, but if villian'll raise with TT, QQ, KK, in this spot the information we gained isn't worth much.

My ?s in setting up this example are
how often do we flop something worthwhile in these situations, (for A2-A5 a wheel draw, 4 flush draw, trips or 2 pair) vs. how often are we in these tricky spots of flopping tpwk OOP and check-calling?

Alexthegreat
01-02-2006, 04:29 AM
If you are not confident in your postflop play, you will probably have a tough time showing profit with Ax in these situations.

But I enjoy playing these hands, and it certainly improves your hand reading.