PDA

View Full Version : Lives of Catholic Saints

Bigdaddydvo
01-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Right now I'm getting ready to head back to the hospital, as my wife gave birth to our 2nd son this morning. First order of business: Find a kick ass Catholic saint to name him for. The winner is Saint Maximilian Kolbe. MK was a priest in Poland in the early 20th Century, eventually murdered in Auschwitz (he heroically took the place of another condemned prisoner who had a family). Here is a good biography:

http://www.catholic-pages.com/saints/st_maximilian.asp

I find compelling evidence supporting the existance of God in reading about the lives of persons the Catholic Church has designated to be a Saint. Specifically in Father Kolbe's case, it is in watching good and holiness blossom in the center of an evil extermination camp. I submit that many non believers would reconsider their position after giving serious study to lives of Saints like MK, including some who post on this board, provided their heart is open to the possibility.

Please also note the respect MK showed in his life for cultural and philosophical differences among peoples, specifically with his missionary work in Japan. This fits nicely into BluffTHIS!'s contention that aspects of non Christian religions that conform with the Christian teaching and worldview are a spiritual fruit inspired by God (I support this view).

BCPVP
01-24-2006, 05:49 PM
congrats!

MidGe
01-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Congratulation bigdaddydvo.

I hope both Max and the wife are fine.

hmkpoker
01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
You should call him Maximus /images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. Congrats /images/graemlins/smile.gif

slickpoppa
01-24-2006, 09:25 PM
If good people are evidence of God's existence, are bad people evidence of his non-existence?

BluffTHIS!
01-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Congrats from me as well Bigdaddy. And that will be a fine patron saint for your son to have.

malorum
01-24-2006, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find compelling evidence supporting the existance of God in reading about the lives of persons the Catholic Church has designated to be a Saint....it is in watching good and holiness blossom

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernard of Clairvaux is genuine a "kick ass" saint:

You must read his "In praise of the new knighthood"

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=4527595