PDA

View Full Version : EV, results and emotions

popniklas
01-24-2006, 03:59 PM
I believe that one of the keys to becoming succesful as a poker player or any other kind of gambler is to think and act as if the following is true:

Everytime you wager money when the odds are in your favor, you win, no matter the result.

Everytime you wager money when the odds are against you, you lose, no matter the result.

I understand this concept. I agree with it. But... my emotions don't. I sometimes find myself tempted to gamble when the odds are not in my favor. I wish i never would. I sometimes get upset when I lose a pot as a favorite. I wish I never did.

I suppose many poker players share this problem to at least some extent. So how should one handle it?

By trying to force yourself into being happy about losing as a favorite and sad about winning with the worst of it? Or by trying to detach emotion as much as possible from yourself while playing?

By reading books on gambling theory, mathematics, zen buddhism or something? By having a huge bankroll?

By keeping results and look at your record for the last three or six months everytime you get upset, to get the big picture? By not keeping results?

I have tried a little bit of everything, but the problem persists. How do I get my emotions to respect the concept of EV?

Philo
01-24-2006, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose many poker players share this problem to at least some extent. So how should one handle it?

By trying to force yourself into being happy about losing as a favorite and sad about winning with the worst of it? Or by trying to detach emotion as much as possible from yourself while playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

You handle the emotions not by denying them but by putting them in their proper place--by recognizing that they are our natural reactions to certain circumstances, that they are not rational or irrational, and that they have nothing to do with determining the correct way to play, which ultimately is the goal. Do not deny your emotions, we all have them and they are natural, but do not let them guide your actions.

creedofhubris
01-24-2006, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do I get my emotions to respect the concept of EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Withdraw your winnings as small bills. Roll around in them.

popniklas
01-24-2006, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You handle the emotions not by denying them but by putting them in their proper place--by recognizing that they are our natural reactions to certain circumstances, that they are not rational or irrational, and that they have nothing to do with determining the correct way to play, which ultimately is the goal. Do not deny your emotions, we all have them and they are natural, but do not let them guide your actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds wise.

popniklas
01-24-2006, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Withdraw your winnings as small bills. Roll around in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that sounds pretty fun. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Whenever i get badbeated, I just roll around in the small bills. Whoah!

Goodnews
01-24-2006, 11:17 PM
heres what you do, you go out to your backyard with your bankroll in cash. look at the money, feel it, name it if you like, and then, pick an amount you woulf feel comfortable with burning right there on the spot.

burn it. do you feel angry or upset?

if yes, then pick a lower amount, burn that, rinse and repeat as needed.

if no, then that is the possible maximum you could lose and walk away feeling nothing. dont try to go higher, we dont want you burning your whole bankroll

blendedsuit
01-25-2006, 01:57 AM
i just burned 4000 thanks to you