PDA

View Full Version : Flopped bottom set, another player caps it...

dowlinga
01-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Did I play this too weak? I don't know much about my opponents as I'm new to the table. After BB capped I feared a bigger set, which I think is my most pronounced weakness. I tend to put my opponent on a huge hand (ie. bigger set) rather than thinking he could be capping it with an over pair, two pair (he was the BB in this situation), or something else I had beat. Anyway, I would say I am a tight, but too passive palyer and I know I need to become more aggressive. Advice on how to proceed on the turn would be most appreciated.

PokerRoom 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, Hero...

Kwaz
01-01-2006, 09:06 PM
I bet the turn.

dowlinga
01-01-2006, 09:08 PM
and what if the player raises? Do you call him down? Reraise?

Kwaz
01-01-2006, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if the player raises? Do you call him down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I think it's an interesting decision (if raised on the turn) to bet, check call or check raise the river.

caz
01-01-2006, 09:20 PM
I think most players raise 99 pf so Im not to worried about that. Definetly not worried about KK. 44 is a possiblity but I think 94 or A(overcard)/images/graemlins/club.gif is more likely. I raise and keep raissing a safe river. Set over set is too unlikely to miss this potential value. Stats/reads would be nice.

Russ M.
01-01-2006, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stats/reads would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about my opponents as I'm new to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has 99, that means he's probably a very weak-tight player (not raising from BB). Him going bonkers on the flop and blowing away the field with his flop raise with the nuts is highly unlikely. I would also put my opponent on no better than 94 although 44 is a possibility.

The turn is a great card for hero's hand: a high blank. The cold-caller likely has a flush draw since he's been in there the whole way. I would like to bet out and hope the BB raises to try and charge the FD as much as possible + we think we have the best hand. I might also 3-bet once its back to me. If capped, then I call and c/c the river or river a deuce and c/r.

TeeMDee
01-01-2006, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think most players raise 99 pf so Im not to worried about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm in the BB I'm not going to raise 99 against 3 other players, especially when I don't have reads on any of them.

Like most others are saying, set over set is rare and I'm betting/re-raising the turn if the BB raises me. If he caps then and only then do I worry about him having a higher set.

Alexthegreat
01-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Generally I like to put in multiple bets on the turn with sets on boards when only an overset beats you. Whether you want to bet/3bet the turn or checkraise is up to you. A flush draw isn't folding the turn, so I don't think it matters that much which one you choose.
I tend to checkraise because it gets 2 bets in, whereas if you call a cap and lead, he could slow down and you lose some value.

pikkupossu
01-01-2006, 11:41 PM
i love the turn check raise!

you did check raise...right? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bobhalford
01-02-2006, 01:43 AM
Here I wouldn't have a second thought about a turn check raise followed by a river bet. Is this not standard?

Reef
01-02-2006, 01:51 AM
He's BB, 94 is a possibility. So is 44 or 99, but I'm gonna pay it off if I'm oversetted. I bet and 3 bet. If he caps, I c/c river.

W. Deranged
01-02-2006, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here I wouldn't have a second thought about a turn check raise followed by a river bet. Is this not standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasons we should consider betting the turn:

1. The presence of the flush draw makes it possible villain is pumping on a draw.

2. Betting means we might get to three-bet.

Overall, though, it's not that likely this turn gets checked through, and my relative position against my opponents makes me prefer a turn check-raise. If I'm three-bet I'm probably capping. Only after I bet the river and get raised am I slowing down.

I mean, we're only losing to 44 and 99, and, as mentioned, 99 gets raised a lot so that's not that big a concern.