PDA

View Full Version : Stepping Over the Line - Wellness & Poker

kyzerjose
01-24-2006, 08:07 AM
If there was one thing that I could change about my life as it relates to poker, it would be keeping the game in perspective.

By perspective, I mean; placing the things I know are essential to maintaining my health and sanity before the hours I sit at the table. I pretty much confine my play to B&Ms.

Most of my sessions go well over the 7 hour mark. +12 aren't unusual. Yet I almost never leave the table unless I need to relieve myself. I seldom if ever order food. My body tightens up. My mind wanders. Yet there I sit, hand after hand, absolutely fascinated by the game.

I think to myself, "My money is for the game." Or, "I can't leave the table, what if the bad beat is dealt while I'm away?".

In your experience, what drives a person to behave in such a fashion?

Take your shots or offer your advice, either reply would be appreciated.

TStoneMBD
01-24-2006, 08:46 AM
youre new to poker. that fascination and addiction will fade in the future. dont turn pro until it does.

Dan BRIGHT
01-24-2006, 10:38 AM
ask to be dealt in and most places will still include you in the bad beat jackpot pay out

kyzerjose
01-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Here's the rub. I've been playing +2 years and am fully aware of the "deal me in" policy at the B&M. The room only allows the dealer to deal you one hand after you get up.

This whole thing is like a bad dream.

Jeffage
01-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Well, you could buy some diapers and soil yourself. Or you could just accept that if you are away and you miss it, well, you missed it. Not to mention that it probably wouldn't have happened if you were dealt in anyway.

Jeff

revots33
01-24-2006, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I can't leave the table, what if the bad beat is dealt while I'm away?".

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds similar to a slot machine junky who can't leave a machine because he's sure the jackpot will hit as soon as he walks away. I'm no expert but it's probably a form of addiction.

Play within reason, and just focus on playing winning poker when you play - not what you might miss while you're away. Maybe as I'm writing this message, someone's hitting the BB jackpot on Party. Who cares?

The Young Gun
01-24-2006, 01:27 PM
I really think you are addicted. You should attend a GA. Look how tied you are to the bad beat jackpot for christs sake.

Banks2334
01-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Perspective is overrated.