donk1 bets [$6].
me raises [$12].
donk1 calls [$6].
** Dealing River ** [ As ]
me bets [$6].
donk1 calls [$6].
me shows [ Kh, Ks ] a pair of kings.
donk1 shows [ 6s, 8c ] a pair of sixes.
me wins $59 from the main pot with a pair of kings.

i was discussing this hand with my friend on AIM. he was telling me he thought i should have check-called the river.

i had played at this table 3-handed and heads-up for about 30-40 hands, and i knew this player would call out of the blind with 90% of his hands. just about anything except the utter garbage (32, 72, 92, 37, etc.). the button had limped numerous times, so i raised preflop automatically. the flop looked great to bet because these guys would likely raise me with top pair if they hit it. they would also call with numerous draws and even ace high hands too.

the turn likely had me up against just 6-7 outs, but i also suspected they would bet a great majority of the time. i had lead on the flop and been called, then gave up on the turn on occasion. i mostly was leading with ace high hands that missed, then checking when i had likely as few as three outs or less. therefore, i figured i'd get value and check-raise, which i hadn't done much.

the river completed just a few of the hands i thought they had, namely A7, A6, A8, A9. any other mid-pair, or drawing hands, he would still call a bet with. KT, QT, JT, T9, T8, T-little. i also don't think they will three-bet with worse than top two, so i will lose as much betting as i do check-calling most of the time.

i also don't think this player is likely to bluff at this card, so check-calling loses a little value since i can't pick off bluffs IMO. if i am going to call when they would have bet if i checked (if they held A6, A7) then i figure i should call. i really don't think they had AT, so i figured i was good not to get reraised here.

all of this was pretty much leading me to bet and not even really think about it. i felt there was too much value to lose from mid-pair hands and top pair hands that he for some reason didn't raise with on the flop, to just check and risk losing that bet on the river when he checked right behind.

he wouldn't listen to my belief that i should bet this virtually 90% of the time. i might check against the ultra-tight who will fold for a river bet too much, or those who are more willing to river bluff. i figure with the aggression i showed on the turn, a river bluff was out of the question from most bluff-type hands.

ghostface
01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
You played this hand fine. I would bet/call the river, might be a bet/fold but its hard to do that 3-handed.

kpux
01-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I didn't read through your whole post, but this is an easy river bet. These guys will call with all kinds of stuff and probably would love to put you on KQ. They'll probably call with 69, 79, 78, etc...but they won't bet these same hands. So bet and let them call with something lesser, which they'll have a majority of the time.

caz
01-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I agree with easy river bet. The odd chance you'll see A6 etc... but his play screams calling down with middle pair to me.

sketchy1
01-01-2006, 10:01 PM
ty for replies. i wasn't looking for approval, as i was confident i was right. i was mainly looking for other people to reaffirm my friend's belief that i know what i am talking about.

he now respects my authority to the fullest, again.