PDA

View Full Version : Moderator "MicroBob" out of control in about the forums forum

Sponger.
01-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Microbob has been needlessly locking dozens of threads in the About the forums forum in the past month or so. Some have been justified locks, but most, not. I think now he has offically crossed any kind of boundary 2+2 possibly could have given him, and something should be said.

His latest lock was of a thread that posed that Dids was out of control in the WPT forum. Now, I've seen a LOT of 'moderators gone power-mad' in my years on the web, but the reason Microbob has for locking this thread, and several other similar ones in the past, is among the most insane I've ever seen. His stance is that, if the question in the original post is "impossible to answer", then it should be completely forbidden to discuss it. In other words, he'll close any thread which asks something subjective - something without a definitive answer.

Yeah, he just basically made up this rule so he had a reason to lock more threads. It's impossible to defend his reasoning as it misses the obvious fact that threads on a message board needn't follow a strict guideline of question -> factual answer. Sometimes people like to take a topic like this and have fun with it, debate, bounce opinions off each other. This is, in fact, incredibly common and no harm comes of it.

A tip to all moderators and propsective moderators: A GOOD and effective moderator does not log on to the forums with thoughts in his head like "Man, my moderator powers sure make me a stud. I wonder how many threads I can lock today?!". A good moderator should not moderate for the sake of moderating, but instead only use his power when it is needed. A good moderator should not be quashing discussion, but facilitating it.

If any administrators read this, my suggestion is that you either rein in MicroBob, or relieve him of his duties. He is a poor representative of your company. There are many people out there who would volunteer to moderate and do a better job than MicroBob. I can produce many more examples of rampant over-moderating if asked.

Fun fact: If Microbob was moderator of the religion forum, literally EVERY SINGLE thread would be locked in accordance with his policies! That would be pretty rough

Lloyd
01-23-2006, 08:53 PM
MicroBob closed the other thread because it was a perpetual attack against a single moderator. Those threads are not allowed here. If you wish to complain about a moderator you should do so privately via PM to the moderator in question or Mat. Perhaps create a post in that specific forum. But this isn't the place to discuss one particular moderator. This is the place to discuss the forum in general, which can include general policy of moderation.

And nowhere do I see MicroBob closing that thread for the reasons you suggested. Those are the reasons that Dids expressed, but not MicroBob. If I'm wrong, which I've been on an occasion, please point to where MicroBob says what you've said.

Ryan Beal
01-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure if you're kidding (dozens?), but I completely support what MicroBob is doing in this forum.

This doesn't need to become the forum for people to complain about specific mods or incidents. Those types of threads are generally still allowed, but only in the other forums.

General moderation threads still have a place here. Specific mod complaints belong elsewhere. However, if Microbob's moderation of this forum is going to be discussed, it obviously makes sense to have the thread in here.

BluffTHIS!
01-23-2006, 09:08 PM
I advised Bob to adopt a system here similar to the * system in OOT, but with a cooler symbol like one the icons. But he hasn't yet. Which is why although he might not be outta control, others are.

Mike Haven
01-23-2006, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you wish to complain about a moderator you should do so privately via PM to the moderator in question or Mat. Perhaps create a post in that specific forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expand on this a tad more.

Keep a note of your pm's to the mod in question, and keep a note of his replies.

If, after you have given your reasons for complaint, and he/she has given his/her responses, you are not satisfied, send a copy of the correspondence to Mat for final arbitration.

Tony_P
01-23-2006, 11:02 PM
I think everyone's sarcasm detectors are broken.

kipin
01-23-2006, 11:02 PM
This thread proves to me that everyone's sarcasm detector is broken.

kipin
01-23-2006, 11:03 PM
OH MY GOD.

Tony Paladino you [censored] mind reader.

Tony_P
01-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Before I post I always think "What would kipin say?"

Lloyd
01-23-2006, 11:23 PM
My first instinct was certainly sarcasm. I just couldn't imagine someone spending that much time for sarcasm alone.

Sniper
01-23-2006, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just couldn't imagine someone spending that much time for sarcasm alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to take into account that Sponger was the OP /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TStoneMBD
01-24-2006, 06:13 AM
I feel that his cat avatar is a poor representation of what twoplustwo stands for and he should be demodded for it. So many cats have past away these last few years from masturbation related instances, and Microbob seems to show no remorse. I think something needs to be done about it. Either take away his moderation privileges, or sit him down and have him agree to donate a generous amount of money to the ASPCA.

Mike Haven
01-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Sorry, Tony. I didn't actually read the opening post, but I wanted to tell everyone the best procedure for legitimate complaints against mods to be dealt with.

I'd heard that MicroBob being out of control is a given so I had no reason to read what I thought was another pointless whinge.

William
01-24-2006, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel that his cat avatar is a poor representation of what twoplustwo stands for and he should be demodded for it. So many cats have past away these last few years from masturbation related instances, and Microbob seems to show no remorse. I think something needs to be done about it. Either take away his moderation privileges, or sit him down and have him agree to donate a generous amount of money to the ASPCA.

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH, OUCH, OUCH, Hurry and post that you love cats and that Bob's cat is particulary charming.

Bob's extra, extra sensitive about jokes concerning the cute little creature.

Hurry dude, before he wake's up..... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GrannyMae
01-24-2006, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just couldn't imagine someone spending that much time for sarcasm alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to take into account that Sponger was the OP /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

he took about a minute.

it is the same post as this. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4401563&an=0&page=0#Post 4401563)

this tells me that a couple of you did not read the post you are actually objecting to.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/closed-topic.gif

William
01-24-2006, 11:33 AM
this tells me that a couple of you did not read the post you are actually objecting to.

As they say, "Cought with the hands in the cookie jar"

MicroBob
01-24-2006, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Microbob has been needlessly locking dozens of threads in the About the forums forum in the past month or so. Some have been justified locks, but most, not. I think now he has offically crossed any kind of boundary 2+2 possibly could have given him, and something should be said.

His latest lock was of a thread that posed that Dids was out of control in the WPT forum. Now, I've seen a LOT of 'moderators gone power-mad' in my years on the web, but the reason Microbob has for locking this thread, and several other similar ones in the past, is among the most insane I've ever seen. His stance is that, if the question in the original post is "impossible to answer", then it should be completely forbidden to discuss it. In other words, he'll close any thread which asks something subjective - something without a definitive answer.

Yeah, he just basically made up this rule so he had a reason to lock more threads. It's impossible to defend his reasoning as it misses the obvious fact that threads on a message board needn't follow a strict guideline of question -> factual answer. Sometimes people like to take a topic like this and have fun with it, debate, bounce opinions off each other. This is, in fact, incredibly common and no harm comes of it.

A tip to all moderators and propsective moderators: A GOOD and effective moderator does not log on to the forums with thoughts in his head like "Man, my moderator powers sure make me a stud. I wonder how many threads I can lock today?!". A good moderator should not moderate for the sake of moderating, but instead only use his power when it is needed. A good moderator should not be quashing discussion, but facilitating it.

If any administrators read this, my suggestion is that you either rein in MicroBob, or relieve him of his duties. He is a poor representative of your company. There are many people out there who would volunteer to moderate and do a better job than MicroBob. I can produce many more examples of rampant over-moderating if asked.

Fun fact: If Microbob was moderator of the religion forum, literally EVERY SINGLE thread would be locked in accordance with his policies! That would be pretty rough

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of surreally amusing.

William - I'm officialy awake now.
And you are correct, back off my cat!

Ryan Beal
01-24-2006, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think everyone's sarcasm detectors are broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a feeling that is was a joke, but it deserved a response for those that thought otherwise.

MrWookie
01-24-2006, 07:43 PM
At first I thought it was a joke, and then I realized I wasn't laughing, so I thought he might be serious.

William
01-24-2006, 10:30 PM
So, to summarize, everybody was like 99% aware that it was a joke, but decided to go with the 1% chance it could be serious?

Nice move... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Army Eye
01-24-2006, 10:34 PM
I think the Dids thread was locked in truth because Dids was just burying himself with his posts. Eventually someone had to save him from further damage. The mods do look out for each other.

MicroBob
01-25-2006, 12:19 AM
this is not why it was locked.

I already expressed the real reasons why it was locked.

beyeond
01-25-2006, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, to summarize, everybody was like 99% aware that it was a joke, but decided to go with the 1% chance it could be serious?

Nice move... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention the majority are math savvy poker players!

Sponger.
01-26-2006, 12:20 AM
This thread is great.

Gregatron
01-26-2006, 12:48 AM
I have been saying this for a while: MicroBob's reign of terror must come to an end.

Not many people know this, but the 2p2 masses need to know. Apparently, in order to become a mod he kidnapped Mat Sklanky's teddy bear, and started mailing paws.

Mike Haven
01-28-2006, 04:09 PM
To everyone who complains about MicroBob's moderation techniques, you might be amused by a thread in Pacific's "forum" (http://forum.pacificpoker.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=1&MessageID=4030) where razor206 writes:

"seriously incubus you know whose who around here by now and you could give us the admin powers to keep this forum alive this is ridiculous. 3-4 days waiting for a post to be approved? and at that you don't approve everything. this is absurd your so concerned about security and privacy but guests are happy to roam the forums and see whatever they want. seriously do something and do something now! as soon as you read this."

All posts are moderated by incubus1 before they are allowed to be posted in the forum, and he replies:

"good morning razor206

good to have a rant so early in the day, isn't it? gets all those niggling problems off one's chest!

your point is a valid one: we are looking at ways in which we can speed up the process of approving posts. indeed, a possible solution is to have a member of the community act as a moderator (and i am in the process of sifting through one or two names, even as i type).

the forums will remain moderated, however: i do not post any threads live that contravene the terms and conditions of membership. it is unfair for our members to be subjected to racist or sexist filth. i don't intend our forums to simply become an advertising ground. i shudder at the thought of a gladiatorial arena springing up, where all the content is simply other members or poker sites being constantly ridiculed.

it is my intention to get the discourse running as quickly and smoothly as possible. delays are inevitable, but i can not ever remember an instance whereby one has had to wait three or four days before a post went live (though i may be mistaken, as my memory is not what it once was!)

however, please be assured that i am working on a resolution and that i hope to have it in place shortly. in the meantime, i do thank you for your patience and understanding - it is appreciated. :d"

Howsabout we invite incubus1 to moderate OOT?

Nut4Dawgs
01-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Leave MB the hell alone.

"The devil you know is better than the devil you don't." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just saw a post from diebitter and see that he's now a mod. What happened to [censored]? Is it a topic for discussion? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mike Haven
01-28-2006, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What happened to [censored]? Is it a topic for discussion?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't read OOT, do you?

Nut4Dawgs
01-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Not in a long time.

Sniper
01-28-2006, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What happened to [censored]? Is it a topic for discussion? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Short story... [censored] created OOT Surviver challenge, with loser being banned... Stuey challenged [censored] hoping to get banned... [censored] lost... [censored] posted goodbye post in OOT... [censored] was banned per his own rules! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nut4Dawgs
01-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks, Sniper. I just read his farewell and most of the replies. Appreciate the pre-farewell info. Hadn't found that.

I kinda liked the guy. Also thought Stuey was a hoot (he also once did some avatar work for me so that skewed my opinion somewhat).

Again, ty.

Sniper
01-29-2006, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Sniper. I just read his farewell and most of the replies. Appreciate the pre-farewell info. Hadn't found that.

I kinda liked the guy. Also thought Stuey was a hoot (he also once did some avatar work for me so that skewed my opinion somewhat).

Again, ty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to OOT Survivor #2 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=exchange&Number=4421309)

tolbiny
01-31-2006, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A good moderator should not moderate for the sake of moderating, but instead only use his power when it is needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

He should use a light touch, like a safe cracker, or a pitpocket.
or a guy who burns down a bar for the insurance money?
If he makes it look like an electrical thing, sure.

*TT*
02-03-2006, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger is great... this thread needs more sponger!

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif