PDA

View Full Version : My WSOP'06

kutuz_off
08-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Since people started posting their WSOP reports, I'll post mine too. My WSOP'05 account is here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=tourn&Number=2903196&Sear chpage=1&Main=2903196&Words=+kutuz_off&topic=&Sear ch=true#Post2903196).
Edited to add cliff notes at the bottom.

I was in seat 8, and the button started in seat 10. I folded first few hands until I was in the big blind. 3 or 4 limpers, I find A4 of clubs and check. Flop 367 with two clubs, so I have a gutshot straight draw, nut flush draw, and an overcard. SB leads out, I call, everybody else folds. Turn another 3, SB bets, I call. River Ace, SB check-calls my value bet and I’m up to 10800, which is 50 more than my high mark from the year before. Good start.

From then on it was steady downhill. I didn’t have many good hands, and the ones I had didn’t flop good. People were playing all kinds of crazy hands, and I was watching good players take chips off the idiots. So I tried to play some mediocre hands like Q9s, but that only led me to lose chips. There was one interesting hand where I opened from middle position for 3BBs with AJo, and a tricky BB defended. Flop KKT, BB leads out, I call. Turn 8, check-check. River T, BB bets 2000 (about 2/3 of the pot), and I thought for a few minutes and folded. He would play a counterfeited underpair that way, QJ, any Ten, any King. It’s quite possible I folded the best hand, or maybe we had a chop.

I was down to about 6K when I decided to shut down and wait for better hands. I then proceeded to fold for 2 hours, because I was getting nothing playable at all. By that time the 4 donkeys busted and I was surrounded by good players with big stacks. I considered myself maybe 8th best player at the table, if that. I really hated my table. A bunch of people were discussing their 400-800 cash game in LA, and Meng La was on my left. I wasn't too impressed by him though. By the dinner break I blinded down to 3725 and was extremely frustrated. Seat 7 mentioned "a chip and a chair" several times, but I felt rather dubious about my prospects. Blinds after the break were going to be 100-200 ante 25 (550 per orbit), so I had to make a move soon.

First hand after the break I find AJo in 2nd position and push to take the blinds and antes. A round later I open-push AJo from middle position again. A round later I’m in BB, 3 people limp, which makes the pot over 1100, small blind glances at my stack and folds. I find AJo again and gleefully push. Limpers give me dirty looks and fold. A round or two later UTG limps, I push AKo in 2nd position. Next round I’m in BB, it’s folded to SB who raises to 700, I have A5s and push immediately. He stares at me, but I know that I made the right decision, so it’s easy to act strong. He folds and shows Ace of hearts. I say that I had a better Ace, he claims to have folded A9. I elaborate that I had Ace of spades, which is obviously superior to Ah. And so I get to maintain my stack for a while.

It gets folded to my button, I find 88 and raise to 800, trying to make it look like I’m on a steal. SB thinks for a while and folds, and BB immediately pushes all his 3500 in the middle. I instacall and bust him when my 8s hold up against his AQs, which takes me to slightly over 8K in chips. I was very excited to be able to maybe play poker again, rather than just pushbotting. A tight lady raises UTG to 1500 (blinds 150-300 ante 25), and I decide to fold AKo. It got to a showdown and she had 22! I guess I missed out on more than 2K in chips. She would have to fold if I pushed my AK. At some point a newly arrived UTG raised and I pushed AA from middle position, which he called with TT. That took me to 16K, only slightly less than average stack at that time. Wheeeeee. I won some hands thereafter, but never got more than that.

Bustout hand: blinds 200-400a50, 2:15am, 1 hour left in the day. It costs 1100 chips per round of play. UTG limps, I have QQ in UTG+1 and make it 1600 to go. It’s folded back to UTG who considers for a while and calls. I thought he was weak. Flop comes 779 with two spades, there’s 4300 or so in the pot now. He checks, I bet 3000, he pushes (he had me covered), I call thinking for less than 3 seconds, he shows 67s and I’m out. I think I misplayed this hand pretty bad. I had to raise more preflop, since raising to only 4BB gave him huge implied odds which he correctly accepted. Meh.

PS. The guy who bet me off AJo in that hand with KKT flop turned out to be MLG who now claims that he had J9 or some such garbage hand. I tend to believe him. I did fold the best hand, d'oh!

PPS. At one point, I was in the big blind. I posted blinds/antes first, and managed to forget my position before cards were dealt. I looked at my hand, thought I was UTG and open-folded my big blind before anyone else acted! That probably didn't help my image at all. If I recall correctly, I had AJo that time too, but my stack size was such that I didn't want to play it UTG. On the next hand BB refused to open-fold despite my pleading.

Cliff Notes: I play weak-tight for 3 hours. I fold for 3 hours. I pushbot for 2 hours. I double up on a coinflip, then again on AAvsTT. I raise too little PF with QQ and bust out 1 hour before end of day 1.

JohnFR
08-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Good report, I go broke on your bustout hand also, and probably play it almost exactly the same way. The AK hand I push AKo all day everyday with only 25BB's or so after a 5xBB raise like that.