PDA

View Full Version : Bug: Messages Marked as Read When Login Cookie Expired

Grunch
01-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Here's something I've noticed several times.

The feature to automatically login when coming to the webpage is, I'm guessing, implemented using cookies. Sometimes when I come back I don't get logged in, and I guess that's becasue my cookies were expired or something.

When this happens, after I login, all messages are marked as having been read. This seems like a bug in the interface to me.

MrWookie
01-23-2006, 07:13 PM
I am pretty sure Chuck knows about this, but it's a good one to bring up. One thing I found particularly odd: you usually type in the address to your favorite forum to get there and find out your cookie expired, right? At least that's what I do. However, the one odd time when I went to the main index first (who goes there?), instead of a particular forum and found my cookie had expired, when I logged in, everything was normal.

Jeffage
01-24-2006, 01:03 AM
This happens to me constantly and is pretty aggravating. I read a lot of the forums and it's frustrating when everything is marked read and you have to scroll through everything to see what you probably read. Any chance of fixing this? Thanks for all the hard work.

Jeff

Grunch
01-24-2006, 01:33 AM
I always go to twoplustwo.com, and from there navigate to the forums using the menu at the left.

MrWookie
01-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Yeah, but that takes you right to the forum you click on first rather than the main index, right? You then find out your cookie expired, log in, and lose everything.

I'm not sure if Chuck was unable to solve this issue, or if he just hasn't been working on it. We might be able to convince him to kick up the cookie lifetime to, say, a month or two instead of a week and a half so this comes up less.

TStoneMBD
01-24-2006, 06:05 AM
it happens to me when i close out of my browser and reopen it and go back to 2p2. it doesnt happen to me when i have 1 window open, surf to another site and go back to twoplustwo afterwards if thats what youre talking about.