PDA

View Full Version : Possible changes at WSOP 2007?

Photoc
08-16-2006, 03:09 AM
X-posted to NVG as this is GOSSIP and I cannot confirm or deny the validity of what is written in this posted.

I showed a friend of mine that works for Harrahs in management the tipping threads going on in the WSOP forum and he had some words to say about it. He told me a few of the changes being discussed as possibilites for next year. I am posting this here because this is gossip, not set in stone, and possibly just something that was mentioned and not being discussed in great depth.

Again, this is NOT fact, but more or less gossip at this point in time and this information did not come from me. Source is not being named to protect their job/ect..

"Uppers at Harrahs have mentioned an idea to increase the juice/rake to upwards of 15% or possibly higher as there is a major tention formed now between the players and the dealers. Tips will still be allowed, but the talk was to increase the rake a ton so they can make sure to pay well enough to get good dealers in the future and not listen to the constant complaining from the dealers and players."

Hell, like Harrahs ever listened to anything to begin with is what I say. Why not just charge for parking, drinks, seating for the final tables, and so on. Might make them some extra $$ and heck, the people will be there anyways! No, I dont work for Harrahs, wonder if I could sell my ideas.

I also read that the Rio would be removing lots of the tables from the main room and setting up a stadium type of thing in the center. Bleachers all the way around with lots more seating, and showcasing the final 3 tables of the WSOP ME. This would allow tons more spectators to get in there and watch. Those side tournaments didn't get much of a turnout anyways, so it woulnd't hurt to hold them on one side of the room while the final 3 are being played in another more spacious section.

Harrahs needs to make some changes, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to handle 10,000+ players, 700+ dealers, supervisors, cage, chip runners, ect.. and how to make even half of them happy.

LearnedfromTV
08-16-2006, 03:35 AM
The tension should be between the dealers and Harrah's. Plenty of juice + ESPN revenue to cover everyone without cutting more from the prize pools. 15%, gossip or fact, is disgusting.

Dynasty
08-16-2006, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The tension should be between the dealers and Harrah's. Plenty of juice + ESPN revenue to cover everyone without cutting more from the prize pools. 15%, gossip or fact, is disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much revenue can we give to Harrah's from the WSOP Main Event? They got %5,263,800 (8,773 x $600) this year.

Do we know what they got from ESPN? Party Poker? Milwaukee's Best Light?

52s
08-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Good God.

All they need to do is give the dealers the standard of 3 percent instead of the 1.5 they shafted everyone with this year and things would be perfectly fine.

Now they want to take it out on the players by charging even MORE juice?

F'n MORONS.

olivert
08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are forgetting one thing:

Harrah's is NOT getting a penny of cash from ESPN.

The poker TV business in 2006 in the U.S. is "all time buys, all the time".

No US TV network actually pays cash for poker TV products these days, with the exception of existing contracts that were done prior to 2006 (i.e. Trump USPC, WPT, Poker SuperStars.)

Even though ESPN may have agreed to pay Harrah's a "rights fee", Harrah's has to purchase advertising on ESPN on behalf of PartyGaming and Miller Brewing.

The advertising dollars Harrah's has to ship over to ESPN should more than offset the "rights fee" and the production cost.

In effect, Harrah's is paying ESPN to get the WSOP on ESPN, using some of the money Miller Brewing and PartyGaming has paid to Harrah's.

WSOPChump
08-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Oliver, i would assume Harah's is way positive net between ESPN, Miller, and Party and thats all that really matters.

Also, requiring an ad purchase seems alot different than time buy. (i.e. ESPN is alot different than CBS in the sense that they want the main event on TV - there not going to be produce a WSOP infomercial in prime time. there is still some very good (if not great ratings to be had.)

WSOPChump
08-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Oliver so i read your post so the breakdown goes something like this:
ESPN gives Harrahs 10 million for rights fees.
Harrahs signs two 12 million dollar contracts with Miller and Party. Half of this goes to ESPN to buy air time.
Harrah's is still ahead 12 million.
So its hardly a time buy.

The two points you miss are :
1. Harrah's would not have gotten 12 million from Miller and Party without the TV ads so its not like their giving away money.
2. ESPN likely could have gotten 6 mil from Miller and Party to show the ads.

So the bottom line is Harrah's is profiting 12 million from it being on ESPN.

I still have to beleive that even with the decline ESPN's rating for the WSOP will be one of their highest this summer.

KKsuited
08-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Harah's would not do a 15% rake, that's absurd.

Also, there lot's of other money other than what you guys have mentioned. Bluff Magazine paid a lot of fees to Harrah's, as well as Cardplayer and many other sponsors.

Harrah's is taking enough heat already, no way the up to juice that high.

RoundTower
08-17-2006, 07:49 AM
next year, it will be self deal.

dlk9s
08-17-2006, 07:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
next year, it will be self deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

And BYOB.

drewjustdrew
08-17-2006, 08:11 AM
I don't understand how the best dealers will come just because the hourly rate is higher. In most industries, top performers choose pay for performance compensation because they earn more money that way.