PDA

View Full Version : Mastering NL Holdem by Fox and Harker

ssmallz
01-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1886070210/ref=pd_luc_mri/103-4173010-3133412?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance& n=283155)

Has anyone read this book? I'm wondering if its any good

I'm an experienced limit player looking to get into NL cash games. I have the ciaffone book but any other title recommendations are appreciated.

Gelford
01-23-2006, 04:12 AM
This post comes up everyweek ... but before Deacsoft locks it, the answers usually are

1. Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1 .. it is a tourneybook, but since it is early stages tourney, it plays like a cashgame .. vol 2 is mostly tourney specific (The art of pushing all in like a maniac in view of rising blinds), but it starts of with an excellent chapther on making moves.

Then there is the ciaffone book and also Cloutiers Pot and No limit Hold'em (I do not own the latter and opinions differ, but many find it OK .. the only book in the championship series worth buying it seem)

And Ed Miller & Sklansky er writing a nolimit book due out about may.

Grumbo
01-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Don't forget "Little Green Book" by Phil Gordon. It's very good and I have heard from here that the Fox and Harker book is not very good.

benfranklin
01-23-2006, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget "Little Green Book" by Phil Gordon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gordon's book is for tournaments, F&H is for cash games.

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard from here that the Fox and Harker book is not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love book reviews by people who haven't read the book.

There is a real review of the book by Nick Christenson here. (http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/mastering_no-limit_holdem.html)

Here is the summary of that review, which I would agree with:

[ QUOTE ]
Capsule:

Russ Fox and Scott Harker have filled an important gap in the poker literature by writing a book designed to help experienced limit hold'em players make the transition to no-limit cash games. The book isn't without its faults, and it doesn't have all that much to say to folks who have considerable experience in these games, but it is a reasonably good introduction. I recommend it to those relative beginners who are looking for information to help them make the transition to no-limit hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

mattw
01-24-2006, 04:11 AM
i agree with ben.

smbruin22
01-24-2006, 10:38 AM
i actually thought this book was excellent. and it covers tons of stuff (lots of loose passive callers, lower level games, many different situations, a log of an actual session etc.) that harrington and little green book don't (i love HOH 1 especially and little green book)...

i was very happy with this fox/harker book. not sure what i'd do if i had to choose between HOH 1/2, fox, little green book. probably HOH 1 first and the others follow (although they all cover different situations).

BTW, we do not have a thread on this book every few days. i wish we had fewer "back seat moderators". or at least get things right... i think we have general no limit book questions every few days.