PDA

View Full Version : I have 90k party points

Dan BRIGHT
01-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately, party's store seems to be not very full of anything.

What should I order with the points, when the time comes to get a huge shipment?

edge
01-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I really hope the beach towel comes back. I ordered 20-something in the summer, and if I knew it was coming back, I'd save points to order another 30 or so.

I reccommend 100 hats.

MyTurn2Raise
01-22-2006, 03:54 PM
if you're good at MTTs, Micro-Bob pointed out that there is a weekly 15,000 point tourney with first place winning a PPM V cruise package. The overlay is about $60 per player.

basco
01-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I recommend the cruise also. My friend signed up because he had roughly 150K points and nothing to spend them on. He's a lucksack and somehow won, and I've got one of his guest spots. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

flecks
01-22-2006, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're good at MTTs, Micro-Bob pointed out that there is a weekly 15,000 point tourney with first place winning a PPM V cruise package. The overlay is about $60 per player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, 6K more and I'm there.

MicroBob
01-22-2006, 06:49 PM
There's also the monthly 20k points tourneys with $100k prize-pool.

They are having one next weekend (I think on Saturday).

I spend all of my points on these 15k and 20k points tourneys when I'm available to play them.
If I'm not then I don't worry about it.
Points are pretty worthless for the most part.

If you really want to slum-it-up you can hit all the other cheapo freerolls for 1k points or less. I don't think they are worth the bother though since they take a long time and even a final-table finish isn't worth much.

But it still might be preferrable for some people compared with the dumb stuff in their party-store.

popeye18
01-22-2006, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you're good at MTTs, Micro-Bob pointed out that there is a weekly 15,000 point tourney with first place winning a PPM V cruise package.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many people usually enter these things? Also is there anything for 2nd,3rd etc?

Sponger.
01-22-2006, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to slum-it-up you can hit all the other cheapo freerolls for 1k points or less. I don't think they are worth the bother though since they take a long time and even a final-table finish isn't worth much.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have friends you can trust with your account it would be a good time to "stake" them for these freerolls.

T-bone
01-22-2006, 09:15 PM
or you could just keep on saving them. There might not be much in the store but you never know what they might have in the next 1 or 2 years.

QuarterTon
01-22-2006, 10:18 PM
I thought party was supposed to do something similair to the stars points program.... can anyone verify? If party is, then i would wait and spend my points on something cool.

MicroBob
01-22-2006, 10:34 PM
simlar to the stars program? I doubt it.

Adding more items including potnetially some electronics (IPods) or cash-for-points promotion again? Possible (and I think we heard that they would DEFINITELY be doing this...but that was about a million years ago).

About 200+ players in the 15k point cruise freerolls.
Zilcho for 2nd place though.
I finished 11th in back to back weeks.

They aren't great...but they're a reasonable value and a way to unload some of your points. And finding even a 'reasonable' value with your points is a significant accomplishment imo.

If the freerolls don't float your boat in the least then I strongly suggest you just hang onto your points. There's no hurry to HAVE to spend them.
It might take until 2008, but Party MAY actually add something to their store that interests you someday.
And, until then, i would jsut forget about the surplus of points you have accumulated and not worry about it.

Just hang onto them.

umdpoker
01-22-2006, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's also the monthly 20k points tourneys with $100k prize-pool.

They are having one next weekend (I think on Saturday).

I spend all of my points on these 15k and 20k points tourneys when I'm available to play them.
If I'm not then I don't worry about it.
Points are pretty worthless for the most part.

But it still might be preferrable for some people compared with the dumb stuff in their party-store.

[/ QUOTE ]

how many people usually register for these tourneys? i have 15k points, but not 20k yet. i think next month i should be able to play in their 100k freeroll. i just wanna try to figure out if i would be better off waiting til the next 100k tourney. i'm not especially good at tournaments, but i make the money a good portion of the time. if more than 100 play in the ppmv freeroll, then i would rather play in a tournament with a good shot at cashing.

MyTurn2Raise
01-22-2006, 11:56 PM
One good freeroll are the qualifiers for the $100,000 party for free at the end of the month. Instead of putting up 20k, party runs sub-qualifiers for either 2,000 or 1,000 points. In the 2,000 points, 1 in 15 qualify. In the 1,000 points, 1 in 30 qualify. If you have any idea how to play, the 1 in 15 is pretty easy to get. Probably a 1 in 3 chance.

protocol
01-23-2006, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If the freerolls don't float your boat in the least then I strongly suggest you just hang onto your points. There's no hurry to HAVE to spend them.
It might take until 2008, but Party MAY actually add something to their store that interests you someday.
And, until then, i would jsut forget about the surplus of points you have accumulated and not worry about it.

Just hang onto them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with this advice. I also have a massive amount of Party Points(230,000+) because there has never been anything worth using them on. I think there is a good chance that Party will eventually add some expensive merchandise to their store, and I'll be glad I didn't waste my points on hats or shirts or whatever. No rush to spend them yet.

roueful
01-23-2006, 03:01 AM
How's the quality on the fabric of those pink pantsuits? Good for sitting around the house all day?

MatthewRyan
01-23-2006, 02:12 PM
A while back I ordered like 120 hats and 50 visors. It was funny to constantly hand them out at my home games. For now I dont think the freerolls are worth it, so I vote you hang on to the points.

MicroBob
01-23-2006, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the 2,000 points, 1 in 15 qualify. In the 1,000 points, 1 in 30 qualify. If you have any idea how to play, the 1 in 15 is pretty easy to get. Probably a 1 in 3 chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to multiply.
This isn't even close to a good deal.
It's essentially a 50% vig because they are giving out 20k points for every 30k points they are taking in.

(this is a bit weird and tricky...because at first I thought it was a 33% vig....but it really is a 50% vig I believe).

it's equal to just saying that the entry to the satellite is 1333 pts + 667 pts. (1333 * 15 = 20k)

This is a REALLY awful deal and I thought it was generally understood that you shouldn't bother with these.

Making the top 8% (1 in 15) is possible 33% of the time in these things? I find that unlikely (although I haven't played them myself).

If you saw a satellite tournament that was $14+7 and gave out a $210 seat for every $210 in entry-fees would you play it?
I sure hope not.
But that's almost the exact same as these 2k point satellites that they run.
only difference being that most of us don't give a crap about the points in the first place.
Play them if you like them. But I really don't think these can be considered a 'good deal'.

They're so bad that they're actually insulting imo.

Also - I just saw on the website. The next 20k point tourney is Sunday at 6:40p (eastern).

I've cashed in a couple of these.
I honestly can't remember how many players they get but probably around 1000 players I'm guessing (????? total guess) (and it would pay to the top 10% usually).

If it's 1000 players then your 20k points entry has $100 in value.

I think I remember almost 1300 players perhaps in the last one I played (but I might be thinking of a different tourney).
So that would take your 20k points entry down to around $70 in value.

Indeed, your chances for cashing for $75 or $200 or $400 are definitely better in the 20k point monthly tourney.

Obviously your chances are minimal of winning a 200+ player cruise-freeroll that only pays to one spot.

hemstock
01-23-2006, 05:47 PM
What time and date is the 15k tourny on?

Rhett
01-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Microbob,

The flaw in your logic is that you're thinking of points as currency. For a lot of reasons, Party Points are not economic currency (thank goodness, or you would have to pay taxes on them).

Points are not transferrable, so if you want to feel happy about the way the $100k party for free tournument works, you can think about it this way: Party wants to reward VIP players that can earn 20,000 points through standard means. They reward these players by giving them 10,000 free points to use toward the 30,000 point freeroll tournument.

It would be better marketing for them to spin it that way. In economics, you can often not piss off the people you're screwing through clever marketing. For example, dell coupons are really a way to charge lazy people who don't use the coupons a lot more.

MyTurn2Raise
01-23-2006, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Making the top 8% (1 in 15) is possible 33% of the time in these things? I find that unlikely (although I haven't played them myself).

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a few of them...you'll be amazed. The play is like a $100 turbo freeroll on Empire. It's like the players don't assign any value to their points and just go for it. I ran a few on the side while clearing bonuses at other sites. I just used a straight basic-plus kill phil all-in or fold strategy while adjusting at the bubble. It was too easy.