PDA

View Full Version : Hard Poker Week gave me perspective

Indiana
01-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Had been making a killing last few months. Then just last week it starting coming apart. I realized that I was trying too hard and pushing my cards too far. Some may call it burnout but that wasn't really it. Then last night I lay in bed thinking about what to do. I woke up and made a large cashout, leaving only 3K in my stars account, and decided to take a month off from poker. Then I went back to bed an thought it through. I was putting too much pressure on myself, plain and simple. I had gotten away from how much I loved this game and that gave me perspective, the kind of perspective that wakes you up and puts you into place. Rather than taking off time, drinking away my problems, or whatever...I decided to face my problems head on and get back in the game. I realized that I truly love this game, win or lose, and that I must stop putting so much pressure on myself to continue raking in large buckets of cash every night. This is not my job, its my passion. Perspective is good. You must love poker, just like you would love a woman. It will bring heartaches and be fickle, hell, it will even break your heart at times. But if you love the game, and only if you love the game, will you be fruitful. I'm in love. Perspective is good.

Indy

dankhank
01-01-2006, 03:30 PM
here is a post from J_V from another forum that gave me excellent perspective going into the new year:

[ QUOTE ]

One last thing: At the end of a poker year, looking back it seems like forever ago. Tilting, letting losses affect you the next day, playing to get even, seems so inconsequential and silly. Maybe in 2006, I can keep that perspective during the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

solucky
01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Perhaps thats my problem, i win but i dont love poker.I hate to lose QQQ 5 times in 45 minutes, i hate losing anytime. Poker is only fun for me if i win. I have also not the goal to climb up in limits, its only a easy way to pay my sportscar...the petrol...and a summer vacation.

mattw
01-03-2006, 04:18 AM
paraphrasing mikey mcd in rounders, i cant remember how i built my bankroll, i can sure as hell remember how i lost it.

Chillout
01-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Well put! I think we have the same philosophy on how to handle hard weeks. I've never thought of comparing the love of poker to a woman, thought /images/graemlins/wink.gif