PDA

View Full Version : What's a good book on chasing loses

VielGeld
01-22-2006, 02:41 AM
I sometimes have issue chasing losses. I would lose a couple of dollars at full ring and try to win it back at 6 max perhaps 1 level up to try to win it back faster. I used to have a blackjack problem but now its not an issue anymore. I just can't seem to take a downswing where I knew i did everything right but still got sucked out several hands in a row.

i was thinking maybe mason's gambling theory and other topics would help, any suggestions. btw i'm doing this at .5-1 LHE so its not hurting my life or anything, just something I would like to fix

and i also seem to do this more often towards midnight, as in the day time i don't do this kind of stuff nearly as much

djhoneybear
01-22-2006, 04:25 AM
winning poker requires discipline - make up your mind to not chase. you must learn to take pride in playing the right way regardless of results. Downswings and suckouts are a big part of poker.

Gelford
01-22-2006, 04:47 AM
With out those poker would just be chess .. and in Chess only the top 10 players in the world can make money, so .... :-)

ECDub
01-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Plus chess is flawed in some ways due to so many draws when the top players play each other. They also dodge each other a lot, like Kramnik and Kasparov never having a rematch in 5 years. Top poker guys go at it all the time.

Kriber13
01-22-2006, 12:21 PM
I'd go for Inside the poker mind it has very good discussions on various forms of tilt and it helped me alot and continues to do so....

It's truly disgusting when you lose to a maniac who sucks out time and time again against you, and then he either lose the money to other players or leaves the game...

Hang in there, Kristoffer

MicroBob
01-22-2006, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where I knew i did everything right

[/ QUOTE ]

my own personal nitpick; This is an unhealthy attitude too.
Consider the possibility that your play was flawed too.
Most of the players out there who say this are, in fact, wrong. It is likely that you are not an exception.

Regarding the other tilt-ish stuff. This is all about discipline and simply not being stupid like always chasing at higher levels.

Zen and the art of poker may be somewhat helpful to you...if you can look past the really stupid stuff and just focus on the good patience/discipline stuff.

I think GTAOT might be ok.
Intro stuff of SSHE too.

Just drill yourself to KNOW that you can't always win.
Post suck-out hands in BBV forum if it helps you to vent. Then pat yourself on the back for just walking away and saying "I dont want to tilt. So I'll go get em tomorrow or the next day."

Noo Yawk
01-22-2006, 02:23 PM
hi booshiet,

There is nothing in a book that can make you stop chasing a loss. Remember these 3 things:

1) When your losing, your probably not playing as well as you think you are. This is especially true if you've somehow rationalized that chasing a loss is a good idea.

2) Even though the game looks good, sometimes players that appear bad are better than you think. Also, sometimes bad players do acually play well when they're winning. Especially when they see you losing and play better against you specifically.

3) The combination of you overestimating your game and underestimating your opponent is probably hurting you.

These are off the top of my head, but I can tell you that nobody is ever as good as they think. Keep studying until you realize on your own how to protect your bankroll. When you can walk away from a game or drop down in limits without hesitating because you know it's the right thing, you'll be on your way.

Good luck-ny

maurile
01-23-2006, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
where I knew i did everything right

[/ QUOTE ]
my own personal nitpick; This is an unhealthy attitude too.
Consider the possibility that your play was flawed too.
Most of the players out there who say this are, in fact, wrong. It is likely that you are not an exception.

[/ QUOTE ]
As Phil Ivey once said in an interview, "I make mistakes in every session I play. Nobody plays perfectly over an entire session, except Phil Hellmuth."

talentdeficit
01-23-2006, 07:08 PM
zen in the art of archery by eugene herrigel.

this book did more for me in getting away from results oriented thinking than anything else.