PDA

View Full Version : FL7CS/8 - Some thoughts on 3rd street strategy

Bjorn
01-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Sorry if this is too much of a "newbie question". First of let me say that I'm usually a hold'em player but I like to mix it up with some stud from time to time as a change of pace.

Now I realize that starting hand charts and such are often considered "crutches" or "traing wheels" but since I'm quite inexperienced at stud/8 I feel that I need some kind of quideline.

The game I play is mainly the 0.5/1 at pokerstars that has a $0.05 ante and a $0.25 bring in. The game usually has about 50% seen 4th street and is quite passive.

My "Basic package" of playable hands is what I use more than two places from the bring in and when the betting is either just limped or at most completed. These are the hands i play:

* Rolled up trips
* Pair of aces
* A three card strflush or onegapper 8 or lower
* A three card flush 7 or lower
* A three card str 7 or lower
* A there card onegapper 6 or lower
* A three card low with an ace 6 or lower

I all cases of course assuming my hands are live, with special notice taken of gap cards.

Is this about an appropriate range of starting hands? Or should I play tighter still? Have I missed anything?

When I am in the last two position before the bring in I will add some hands in some situations. If no one has entered i will now raise with big pairs and also hands with a small pair and a small kicker to try and steal the blinds.

Also if no low upcards have entered but there has been two or more high upcards limping I will often "take a card of" with a weak 7 low (257 rainbow and such) or an 8 low that has some decent high potential.

I also call the additional half bet of a complete quite liberally if i'm the bring in given that I often get pot odds of 7-1 or more in those situations. Hands like 257, 334 and such I usually take one of with here but with the understanding that unless i catch good and more or less everyone else catches bad on 4th they're going in the muck.

Sorry if these thougts and questions was too trivial.

/Bjorn

benwood
01-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Bjorn;It looks like you have a pretty good handle on it to me.But I believe your requirements are a little too tight.

I would also add in these hands whenever the situation allows it(& it often will):
(1)A three card one gapper 7 or lower.
(2)Three cards 7 or lower containing an A.
(3)Any 3 cards 6 or lower.
(4)The best high pair,particularly AA,KK,orQQ,especially when the pair is in the hole.

Even with these hands added in,believe me,you're playing tight enough.

Beware of:
(1)The three card 7 low with a 2 in it & no A.
(2)The small pair small kicker hand.It looks better than it is.But A & a small pair is decent.

God luck to you. Ben

Andy B
01-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Too tight. Get Ray Zee's book.

getfunky
01-22-2006, 03:04 PM
besides what benwood said, you can never over emphasize live cards - i.e. a 734 looks mediocre but if all fives and sixes were live, i'd rate this above 653 if three fours, an ace, and a deuce were seen.

benwood
01-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Andy,I know that the standards that I recomended are tighter than Ray Zee recomends,& his standards are tight anyway.But I was thinking that as a beginning player that Bjorn was wanting to play super-tight & avoid any marginal situations until he sat in the game awhile & got a feel for what was going on.

Yeah,Bjorn,the standards that I laid down are tighter than a gnat's ass.Sorry if I mislead you.

BeerMoney
01-22-2006, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah,Bjorn,the standards that I laid down are tighter than a gnat's ass.Sorry if I mislead you.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! Tighter than a gnat's ass, but not tighter than roland.

Roland's like a 95 year old foxwoods player in a 20 year old german's body.

mscags
01-22-2006, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL!! Tighter than a gnat's ass, but not tighter than roland.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know how tight Roland's ass is?!?!!?! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andy B
01-22-2006, 11:49 PM
If he plays as tight as he suggests, he's going to go like Broomcorn's uncle. It is rarely correct to toss a three-card Six on third street. I need a pretty good reason to toss a three-card Seven. Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif is plenty playable most of the time. Always folding (77)3 is wrong. You can't map your third-street strategy through rote memorization the way you (sort of) can in hold'em. You have to actually play poker.

ColdCaller
01-23-2006, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he plays as tight as he suggests, he's going to go like Broomcorn's uncle. It is rarely correct to toss a three-card Six on third street. I need a pretty good reason to toss a three-card Seven. Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif is plenty playable most of the time. Always folding (77)3 is wrong. You can't map your third-street strategy through rote memorization the way you (sort of) can in hold'em. You have to actually play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually play poker, eh? So that's why I am losing so much. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Nice Super System reference, by the way. Perhaps we should all go back to playing Stud Hi/Lo no-qualifier, which might be the most likely game to separate the fish from their money out of all poker games ever.

ColdCaller
01-23-2006, 12:52 AM
Your "basic package" strategy is good for first position after the BI with scare cards on the board, but when people start to go out or call loosely, you need to relax your standards and hope to play good poker on fourth and (especially) fifth street. Learn to fold liberally when you bust out on fourth and fifth, and keep in mind what pair outs, flush outs, and straight outs you have when you are playing low. Pay special attention to backdoor draws that are very live, since when they come in, it's a dream crusher.

Bjorn
01-23-2006, 07:19 PM
I do have and have read Ray Zee's book, even if I'm a long way away from digesting the information.

It was in fact something he wrote in his section on loose games that sort of started the thought processes that got me to this point.

Playing in loose games p. 95
[ QUOTE ]
This limits you to the very strongest high hands, to low hands that are connected for straigths and flushes, and to low hands that have an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

The low ante and relativly high rake should also encourage playing extra tight shouldn't it?

/Bjorn

Andy B
01-24-2006, 02:45 AM
Extra-tight perhaps, but not as tight as you suggest in your original post.