PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Blackjack wikipedia

thomasperfecto
07-30-2006, 06:40 AM
I've just been reading the wikipedia on Blackjack and am now somewhat confused because of it.

Quoted...
"Consider a pair of sevens against a dealer 3. This is actually a losing hand (in the long run it loses more than it wins). Infact even if the sevens are are split, 7 against a dealer 3, is still a losing hand. The split is performed only because 14 loses twice as often than a 7, so in the long run you lose less money by splitting, even though in the short term it costs you an extra bet to perform the split"

I understand that you're supposed to split sevens against a three. But I didn't realise that 14 was dog to a dealers 3. If this is true then why does the strategy not advise to hit with 14 against a 3?
Is it simply becaus hitting will bust you more times than you will lose against a 3?

Does anyone have a link to the research that was done to define these blackjack strategy tables?

thebeebster
07-30-2006, 06:54 AM
14 is a dog, but less of a dog than hitting. there are tons of situations in BJ where there are no +EV choices. you have to choose the least -EV.

thomasperfecto
07-30-2006, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
14 is a dog, but less of a dog than hitting. there are tons of situations in BJ where there are no +EV choices. you have to choose the least -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured as much.

Etric
07-30-2006, 06:20 PM
You might find this interview with Julian Braun interesting:

http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/content/braunint.htm

Blowup Doll
07-30-2006, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it simply becaus hitting will bust you more times than you will lose against a 3?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.