PDA

View Full Version : Media Event

Willy
07-28-2006, 09:16 AM
As of 6AM this morning CardPlayer still had posted no information on the Media event. While it is just a sideshow to the bracelet events some of us are interested. I guess when the "news" organization with "exclusive access" decides not to cover an event it just didn't happen.

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 09:18 AM
David Tuchman (from Live at the Bike) won the event. The winner got 10k, which will be donated to the charity of his choice. There is some discussion of this over in the TV poker thread. If you go to Cardplayer.com, along the left hand side is video.

Willy
07-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks

Rekwob
07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
apparently he was all in first hand, with AJ v KK v QQ and made quads

anyone know how many players were in it?

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I read elsewhere it was 400 entered.

dlk9s
07-28-2006, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read elsewhere it was 400 entered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really. Wow. I thought I had counted 24 or 25 tables of ten. Then I guess I did better than I thought. Busted out when we were down to 8 tables.

I have no problems with CardPlayer not covering it. It's pretty much a joke tournament, completely for fun. Like last year, blinds went up every 15 minutes, with a $1000 starting stack. Half the people don't know how to play. It becomes an all-in fest very, very quickly.

That said, it was fun. I had Anthony Michael Hall and Todd Newton (E! and GSN) at my first table. They busted out on the first hand in a four way all-in. A bunch of limpers to the flop of Q-3-4. More limps around to the guy to my left, who raised to 300 (25/50 blinds). A guy two to his left raised to 600. The celebs called. Original raiser pushed, everybody called. Raiser had 3-3, re-raiser had Q-J, Hall had 10-2 (he obviously didn't know how to play/was doing someone a favor by showing up), Newton had A-4. Set of 3's held up.

Even though I do get the feeling that Hall was just there as a favor and wanted to do something else, he was very nice. After he busted, I folded my next hand and went over to chat with him for a couple minutes. Even though I had the media pass around my neck, I had to say be a fan and say hello (he was at the other end of the table, so I didn't really get to say anything earlier) because he's been one of my favorite actors since I was a kid. Weird Science is one of my top five favorite moveis of all time (note, I didn't say it is one of the top five BEST movies of all time). When I told him how much I loved Weird Science, he asked, "Were there nipples in that movie?" We both thought for a few seconds and realized there weren't any, but I added that there was cleavage. He laughed and said that was a good thing. Cool guy.

At my second table, I sat to the left of "Oklahoma Johnny" Hale. What a nice guy. We chatted it up a bit and joked around before he busted.

Funniest part of the tourney for me was at my second table. The guy to Johnny's right was way too into the game. On a couple big hands he won, he pumped his fists, jumped up, yelled, and celebrated, like he was in the Main Event. It was bizarre. Eventually someone told him it was just a charity tournament.

I doubled-up through him with A-K vs A-9, then bluffed him on the river with crap (I had to show, too, because it was just for fun), then eliminated him with better crap than his crap.

I finally busted when someone's J-K hit TWO of his three outs against my Q-K. I only had 1,000 chips left and the blinds were 200/400 with 50 ante, so I figured that was as good a hand as any with which to push.

Like I said, it is pretty much a silly tournament. Play is no better than a donkish home game and the blinds are ridiculous. But, it was a fun time and everybody at the final table gets money donated in their name, so it's a good thing to do, too.

easternbloc
07-28-2006, 06:17 PM
congrats to david for winning the event

btw his interview on cardplayer is absolutely hilarious, easily the most amusing CP interview I have seen yet