PDA

View Full Version : "I'm not playing in the WSOP" - My Story

FatalError
07-28-2006, 06:00 AM
In las vegas for my 22nd? day and after playing over a dozen 1000$+ tournaments, every type of WSOP satelite possible, and the big online guarentees. Despite a seemingly unnoteworthy 79th place in the 1500 limit to roughly double my money, that was also the only time i ever cashed, despite playing at least 4 hours in every single event and quite a few futile 10-12 hour days.

i don't have a seat, i did'nt run good one single time at any point in any tournament, so my experience at the WSOP was a fun one of being constantly shortstacked and bitter at the success of the clueless lottery mentality donkeys surrounding me 360 degrees.

i'm playing great poker though, doing well in cash games, but despite the fact that i know todays event is going to the biggest collection of people/animals playing so far over their head in the history of poker i just refuse to fork over the 10k, i've just had enough

Everyone i know that tried to get a seat pretty much got one or got backed because they finished 22nd in a tournament once. Please tell me there are other full time pros out there that aren't playing despite putting in a serious effort at it?

MicroBob
07-28-2006, 06:03 AM
I dropped way too much in online sats trying to get in there.

Moonshine
07-28-2006, 06:15 AM
sorry to hear that bro. sounds like me when i was trying to win a seat to the PPM. you seem like a solid player though, you'll probably win more than me on my vegas trip

was nice playing with you the other night (morning? i cant even remember), good luck with the rest of the week

AllinDan
07-28-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm not playing either, but I'm banned from Harrah's so I have a better excuse.

ajohnson16
07-28-2006, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trip report?

betgo
07-28-2006, 09:20 AM
I spent about $3K on online sats, but didn't win. The closest I got was 3rd place in a WTA fpp sat on Stars.

I probably should buy in direct or get staked, as I think it is $EV+. However, psychologically I play better if I got in through a sat than if I put up that much $s.

Also, while it is EV+, I don't think I am at the level at this point where I have a huge advantage over the field.

Miamipuck
07-28-2006, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, while it is EV+, I don't think I am at the level at this point where I have a huge advantage over the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL give yourself more credit then that. The players sateliting in live are awful.

But then again some of the satelites are so short stacked it is amazing. Next year come hell or high water I am not going to play the 200 rebuy. 200 startng chips double rebuy up to 400............... bleh. Initial rounds are 30 minutes then go down to 20 which utterly sucks.

There were like 30 left (out of 380) blinds were 500/1000 and the biggest stack at my table had 12k nearest one to him had 8k. That is uhhhh short stacked to say the least. That level was just a crap shoot.

bugstud
07-28-2006, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and not enough backers.

badplayer
07-28-2006, 04:03 PM
I can only dream.

After my eight-month losing streak, I don't even have enough for a $15 online satellite.

rothko
07-28-2006, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

willie
07-28-2006, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yuuup.

same w/ the bad run thing.......i'm gonna play one eventually- it'll make for a great story.

MicroBob
07-28-2006, 06:45 PM
you're saying YOU didn't have enough backers or I didn't have enough backers.

I have zero backers so I guess it's correct in reference to me. But I suspect you were referring to yourself.
I am easily confused (which probably has a lot to do with my inability to qualify).

AllinDan
07-28-2006, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trip report?

[/ QUOTE ]

search oot for +banned and my username. badly written, but interesting story

AtlBrvs4Life
07-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Great report. Do you have links to the other reports mentioned in yours?

52s
07-28-2006, 09:28 PM
I took a couple satellite shots in the last month, but closest I got was this past Monday parlaying a win in the FTP 24+2 into the $1k, but then whiffing there.

I know if I went hunting through connections I could find a guy I knew from back east who'd put up the $10k for me to go in as a horse, but...

Just the capper of what's been a stupid 5 months, ever since I made the horrible mistake of not taking the job dealing at Red Rock, instead going to the Venetian... ugh.

Just gonna do my thing for the next 11 months and build the roll for WSOP '07.

betgo
07-28-2006, 09:36 PM
I took 13th for $5.5K in the Stars Million last Sunday. If I had made one of the top places, I would have bought in directly. Also I took 5th for $50K in the Paradise Million, and if I had taken first or second, I would buy in directly. I could have anyway, but I am a little cautious about these things. I figure if I was way cEV+ over the field, I would have plenty of excess $s for satellites or a direct buyin.