PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Main Event Day 1A Sweat

Pages : [1] 2

Lloyd
07-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Good luck all those playing.

Edit: I'll be on a plane (for Vegas) when things kick off tomorrow so I've created this thread early. Like other "FAQ"-type threads you'll find it linked to at the top. Any discussion concerning Day 1A players and plays should go in this thread. Subsequent threads will be created for future days.

Assani Fisher
07-27-2006, 11:36 PM
I'll be playing on Day 1A. GL to all other 2+2ers playing.

gcDanno
07-28-2006, 01:30 AM
i'm Day 1A now as well. Of course, up until i received my official registration card, i thought i was day 1B. I have an email saying i'm day 1B, but now it's day 1A. Thank goodness i picked up my registration on 7/26.

good luck 2+2
gc

ridonkulous
07-28-2006, 01:31 AM
Good Luck everyone.

JackOfSpeed
07-28-2006, 02:59 AM
I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so...scared! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

DVaut1
07-28-2006, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm Day 1A now as well. Of course, up until i received my official registration card, i thought i was day 1B. I have an email saying i'm day 1B, but now it's day 1A. Thank goodness i picked up my registration on 7/26.

good luck 2+2
gc

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I'm supposed to be playing on 1D but not getting to town until Saturday, this worries me a bit.

07-28-2006, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This never gets old. Love it.

MicroBob
07-28-2006, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

good luck 2+2
gc

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I'm supposed to be playing on 1D but not getting to town until Saturday, this worries me a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were you, I would be VERY worried. This seems to be going around a bit (couple other threads) and it now seems obvious to me that some players will arrive for Day 1C or 1D just as they were told, only to learn that they've already been blinded-out on day 1A or 1B.

just when you thought Harrah's couldn't find a stupider way to screw up their own tournament, they now are changing some players' start-days from what they were originally told (and, in some cases, aren't even informing the players they've been changed).

This is going to be a big freaking disaster.

DVaut1
07-28-2006, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

good luck 2+2
gc

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were you, I would be VERY worried. This seems to be going around a bit (couple other threads) and it now seems obvious to me that some players will arrive for Day 1C or 1D just as they were told, only to learn that they've already been blinded-out on day 1A or 1B.

just when you thought Harrah's couldn't find a stupider way to screw up their own tournament, they now are changing some players' start-days from what they were originally told (and, in some cases, aren't even informing the players they've been changed).

This is going to be a big freaking disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for what it's worth, I got my email at the end of May saying I started on Day 1D. I called up Harrah's later that week (around the 1st of June) to confirm that date. They said the email was correct, and my first day was 1D. However, just to be safe, earlier this week (after reading stories on here days were being changed without notice) I called again to confirm my starting day. They again said it would be 1D. I assume an email and two phone calls are enough confirmation, although I can't do much to substantiate the phone calls. I have a print-out of the email and plan on bringing that with me.

At this point, my hands are a bit tied. If I get to the registration desk tomorrow and they say my actual day was 1A and I've been blinded out, my first step is to call the Nevada Gaming Commission. I would suggest if this happens to anyone else, they do the same. If you qualified through an internet site, try to get the representatives of the site you qualified for involved as well, as they may (or may not) have some sort of paper trail. If all of that fails, I'm finding every media member in the room and begging them to publish my story -- and I'll be letting Harrah's know of my intent to do that. I'm not sure there's anything more I can do now. I'm not *that* worried about it, though.

Here's my guess and my hope as to what happened (and this is just mere speculation):

1) Harrah's allowed players to choose their own day, but failed to monitor the situation, and let one day become severly underpopulated.
2) To correct for this, they're changing the starting days of players -- my hope is that they're only changing the days of those have shown up early to finalize their registration (which is still unscrupulous, but Harrah's knows that if the player is already in town, they might not pitch a *huge* fit if their starting day is changed, as opposed to someone like me, who will cause a scene if I found out my day was changed to 1A without notice, and I've now been blinded out).

sarked
07-28-2006, 08:59 AM
When time does this come on TV? and what days?

river me please
07-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Good Luck everyone.

TylerD
07-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what percentage of the field are 2+2ers?

OneChipWarrior
07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
10%?

Miamipuck
07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what percentage of the field are 2+2ers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it is not that high. I played in a couple of satelites yesterday and the players were awful. I mean really bad.

Foucault
07-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Anyone else going to the Stars brunch this morning? I haven't done my final registration at the Rio yet, so I'm going to be waiting for the Stars shuttle at like 7:45 AM in the Monte Carlo lobby, and I'll be at the Stars brunch as soon as I've got my registration confirmed. If you're going to be there, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell number. I'll be wearing my white Stars T-shirt with the red collar, olive green shorts, and the black and red Stars hat.

Andrew

JoeM
07-28-2006, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This never gets old. Love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miamipuck
07-28-2006, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else going to the Stars brunch this morning? I haven't done my final registration at the Rio yet, so I'm going to be waiting for the Stars shuttle at like 7:45 AM in the Monte Carlo lobby, and I'll be at the Stars brunch as soon as I've got my registration confirmed. If you're going to be there, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell number. I'll be wearing my white Stars T-shirt with the red collar, olive green shorts, and the black and red Stars hat.

Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Get there early man yesterday the lines were really long. Plus you have to get a rewards card, they are rquiring that of everyone this year.

I did not satlite in online so I do not know what level of regisration they provide. Just be careful with the lines and good luck.

OrcaDK
07-28-2006, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Get there early man yesterday the lines were really long. Plus you have to get a rewards card, they are rquiring that of everyone this year.

I did not satlite in online so I do not know what level of regisration they provide. Just be careful with the lines and good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, i registered for my players card a couple of days ago. Yesterday when i picked up my ME registration, they did not require to see my placers card, instead i got a players card together with my registration, so i now have two players cards, so did my buddy (who'd also registered for the players card beforehand). I do not know if this only happens if you've already registered for the players card, or if they simply just make you a players card up front.

Topnoevili
07-28-2006, 10:49 AM
GL everyone playing today!

dmk
07-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm playin today, gl all. Name is Derek Kromm in case I'm on cardplayer for busting Hellmuth or something.

FWIW, if you qualified online, just go to the "Will Call" section and they already have your rewards card for you along w/ your seat assignment. Just show them your ID and you'll be good to go. No clue how long the line will be this morning though.

uclabruinz
07-28-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm in today. GL everyone.

If anyone's interested, I'll be updating my blog from the event during breaks and stuff.

http://uclabruinz.blogspot.com

trying2learn
07-28-2006, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in today. GL everyone.

If anyone's interested, I'll be updating my blog from the event during breaks and stuff.

http://uclabruinz.blogspot.com

[/ QUOTE ]

as much as I hate UCLA - you've been one of the 2+2er's showing a lot of support & keeping the board updated - so best of luck to you, as well as everyone else.

z32fanatic
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
On table 100, seat 4.

whynot?
07-28-2006, 02:24 PM
to that note - chatted with a guy who was in the super sat. led out with ak - got pushed by shortie who was about 1/3 of his stack - obv called. caller was berated by another guy saying "good players know how to get away from ak" - btw guy going all in had 99

too funny

whynot?
07-28-2006, 02:26 PM
call and then can verify 7027776777

whynot?
07-28-2006, 02:27 PM
not sure of the broadcast, but per cloney gowen espn is only taping 1a and 1b. many of the pros are playing these days for the exposure

Rocco
07-28-2006, 02:35 PM
What time does it start? Good luck to all of you who's playing today!

DVaut1
07-28-2006, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not sure of the broadcast, but per cloney gowen espn is only taping 1a and 1b. many of the pros are playing these days for the exposure

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound right...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/news/story?id=2203310

July 28, Friday 39 No-Limit Hold 'em World Championship - Day 1A $10,000 August 22 at 8 p.m.
July 29, Saturday 39 No-Limit Hold 'em World Championship - Day 1B $10,000 August 22 at 9 p.m.
July 30, Sunday 39 No-Limit Hold 'em World Championship - Day 1C $10,000 August 29 at 8 p.m.
July 31, Monday 39 No-Limit Hold 'em World Championship - Day 1D $10,000 August 29 at 9 p.m.

dmk
07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
fyi, I'm tbl 34 seat 2. come say hi

DVaut1
07-28-2006, 02:41 PM
"For players waiting to enter the Main Event, here are the facts: 8,431 entered as of 9:00AM Pacific, with alternates to the Main Event for the first time in history."

http://www.pokerstarsblog.com/2006/07/wsop-main-event-pokerstars-qualifiers.html

AngusThermopyle
07-28-2006, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fyi, I'm tbl 34 seat 2. come say hi

[/ QUOTE ]

Same knit cap and pacifier?

Rekwob
07-28-2006, 02:46 PM
there were alternates in 2004 wasnt there?

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there were alternates in 2004 wasnt there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. Binion's Horshoe (and just about the whole poker world) were surprised by the 2,500+ turnout.

Grumbo
07-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Shuffle up and deal!

AngusThermopyle
07-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Players to Use All-In Button

Players each have an all-in button to use for their all-ins rather than having to push all $10,000 of their chips into the middle. This is the first time the World Series of Poker has implemented such a device to improve efficiency.

Interesting

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 03:12 PM
It seems like a great idea, but just wait until someone puts some chips and that button in the middle and the confusion that will cause.

AngusThermopyle
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
If it is a "button", it should be sufficiently larger than a chip and it shouldn't be easy to "accidentally" put it in the pot.

Assume the rule is "Button in, you are all-in".

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm waiting for the first update where someone is confused and folds their BB, doesn't know how to raise, asks a dumb question, etc.

Jourdain
07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
First one busted!!!

Jeremy517
Saying "All you can eat baby" while throwing a single disc into the center just doesn't have the same feel.

bigdottawa
Wonder if it was as sick a hand as Farha first hand double up from last year.

A tournament director just announced over the P.A. system, "Congratulations players, you've just outlasted one player!" marking under 7 minutes before the first bustout of the tournament.

72off
07-28-2006, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wonder if it was as sick a hand as Farha first hand double up from last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so with stacks that deep. I think I'd still find it tough to bust in the first 10 minutes.

skiier04
07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Andy Bloch at 14k per cardplayer

skiier04
07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Andy Bloch raises to $125 preflop from early position and Jeff Smith calls from the button. The player in the big blind also calls and the flop comes 10/images/graemlins/club.gif10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif5/images/graemlins/club.gif. The big blind checks and Bloch bets out $200. Smith raises to $500 and the button folds. Bloch calls and the turn puts the 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif on the board. Bloch checks and the Smith bets $600. Block raises to $1,600 and Smith calls. The river is the Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif and Bloch pushes all-in for $7,500. Smith asks if he is allowed to show his cards to Bloch in an attempt to get a read. He is informed that this is against the rules and would result in a penalty. Smith then asks Bloch if he has pocket Queens. Bloch does not respond and Smith eventually folds. Bloch is now up to $14,000.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Players each have an all-in button to use for their all-ins rather than having to push all $10,000 of their chips into the middle. This is the first time the World Series of Poker has implemented such a device to improve efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it Negreanu who advocated this?

hammerva
07-28-2006, 03:37 PM
I wish I had the balls to play like that move.

Austiger
07-28-2006, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Andy Bloch raises to $125 preflop from early position and Jeff Smith calls from the button. The player in the big blind also calls and the flop comes 10/images/graemlins/club.gif10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif5/images/graemlins/club.gif. The big blind checks and Bloch bets out $200. Smith raises to $500 and the button folds. Bloch calls and the turn puts the 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif on the board. Bloch checks and the Smith bets $600. Block raises to $1,600 and Smith calls. The river is the Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif and Bloch pushes all-in for $7,500. Smith asks if he is allowed to show his cards to Bloch in an attempt to get a read. He is informed that this is against the rules and would result in a penalty. Smith then asks Bloch if he has pocket Queens. Bloch does not respond and Smith eventually folds. Bloch is now up to $14,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

What an interesting hand. Hard to put Block on QQ after the turn raise. But why would he push and not value-bet with a 10? If he had air, that's quite a move.

Bulldog
07-28-2006, 03:39 PM
From cardplayer.com:

[ QUOTE ]
Andy Bloch raises to $125 preflop from early position and Jeff Smith calls from the button. The player in the big blind also calls and the flop comes 10105. The big blind checks and Bloch bets out $200. Smith raises to $500 and the button folds. Bloch calls and the turn puts the 5 on the board. Bloch checks and the Smith bets $600. Block raises to $1,600 and Smith calls. The river is the Q and Bloch pushes all-in for $7,500. Smith asks if he is allowed to show his cards to Bloch in an attempt to get a read. He is informed that this is against the rules and would result in a penalty. Smith then asks Bloch if he has pocket Queens. Bloch does not respond and Smith eventually folds. Bloch is now up to $14,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

55?

Austiger
07-28-2006, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From cardplayer.com:

[ QUOTE ]
Andy Bloch raises to $125 preflop from early position and Jeff Smith calls from the button. The player in the big blind also calls and the flop comes 10105. The big blind checks and Bloch bets out $200. Smith raises to $500 and the button folds. Bloch calls and the turn puts the 5 on the board. Bloch checks and the Smith bets $600. Block raises to $1,600 and Smith calls. The river is the Q and Bloch pushes all-in for $7,500. Smith asks if he is allowed to show his cards to Bloch in an attempt to get a read. He is informed that this is against the rules and would result in a penalty. Smith then asks Bloch if he has pocket Queens. Bloch does not respond and Smith eventually folds. Bloch is now up to $14,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

55?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah of course.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

55?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, wouldn't he have pushed on the turn?

Jeremy517
07-28-2006, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a flop of 10club7club5spade, Tim Rod bets $300 and his opponent raises to $600. Rod calls and the turn puts the 3club on the board. Rod again bets out with $1,500 and is again raised by his opponent to $4,000. Rod calls and the river puts the 3spade on the board. Rod pushes all-in and his opponent immediately calls. Rod flips up KclubQclub for a turned flush. His opponent says, "Do I have a straight flush? Oh, no I don't" as he shows 8diamond6spade for 8-high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to have a straight flush when there isn't even a straight flush possible...

skiier04
LOL DONKAMENTS

All-In Called with 8-High
On a flop of 10/images/graemlins/club.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Tim Rod bets $300 and his opponent raises to $600. Rod calls and the turn puts the 3/images/graemlins/club.gif on the board. Rod again bets out with $1,500 and is again raised by his opponent to $4,000. Rod calls and the river puts the 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif on the board. Rod pushes all-in and his opponent immediately calls. Rod flips up K/images/graemlins/club.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif for a turned flush. His opponent says, "Do I have a straight flush? Oh, no I don't" as he shows 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif6/images/graemlins/spade.gif for 8-high.

Austiger
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

55?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it doesn't hurt to get a little value bet in from something less than a ten. I'm sure he expected a ten to re-raise the turn anyway.

Bulldog
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

55?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think so. Hard to figure this one.

QandA201
07-28-2006, 03:44 PM
deleted.

Jeremy517
When that guy busts out in five minutes, I'd like to invite him to my home game tonight.

Dynasty
Let the fun begin.

On a flop of 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, Tim Rod bets $300 and his opponent raises to $600. Rod calls and the turn puts the 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif on the board. Rod again bets out with $1,500 and is again raised by his opponent to $4,000. Rod calls and the river puts the 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the board. Rod pushes all-in and his opponent immediately calls. Rod flips up K /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif for a turned flush. His opponent says, "Do I have a straight flush? Oh, no I don't" as he shows 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for 8-high

redsoxsalty
07-28-2006, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let the fun begin.

On a flop of 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, Tim Rod bets $300 and his opponent raises to $600. Rod calls and the turn puts the 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif on the board. Rod again bets out with $1,500 and is again raised by his opponent to $4,000. Rod calls and the river puts the 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the board. Rod pushes all-in and his opponent immediately calls. Rod flips up K /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif for a turned flush. His opponent says, "Do I have a straight flush? Oh, no I don't" as he shows 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for 8-high

[/ QUOTE ]

this is [censored] awesome. my day is officially made.

jdog1999
Does anyone know what hand the first guy busted out with. 7 min into the tournament. That sucks

Jourdain
Hehehe

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Only took a half hour to get someone who makes a really bad mistake with the call on 8-6o thinking they have a straight flush. I'm sure the chimp wouldn't have messed that up.

TomHimself
07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
just a advertisement. pic of the all in button. not mine but found on p5's (http://www.pocketfives.com/jpgs/24441F04-DD2C-4A47-A3A9-319B53628999.jpg)

n1232
07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let the fun begin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you [censored] kidding me...this has got to be a joke.

Punker
07-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Rumor has it Harrah's banned all .com logowear. I'm sure that didn't cause any confusion.

Cair Paravel
07-28-2006, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just a advertisement. pic of the all in button. not mine but found on p5's (http://www.pocketfives.com/jpgs/24441F04-DD2C-4A47-A3A9-319B53628999.jpg)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think you get to keep it when you bust? I'd sure try.

Jeremy517
[ QUOTE ]
Rumor has it Harrah's banned all .com logowear. I'm sure that didn't cause any confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

They just had to put tape over the ".com" part.

Austiger
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let the fun begin.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you imagine having to sit at the table and play after that...knowing everybody's just waiting for you to bust and leave so they can start laughing?

Kevmath
That's definitely clear enough to avoid confusion, I'd hope the players would get to keep it as a souvenir if they wanted. All the players also get cushions, thanks to PokerParty.net

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/24441F04-DD2C-4A47-A3A9-319B5362899.jpg

We must be sure to refer to it as the Milwaukee's Best Light ALL IN Button

redsoxsalty
07-28-2006, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i heard that too, but the photo of the stars goody bag had gear with .com printed everywhere

True North
07-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Didn't take long for CardPlayer to get the "Andy Bloch just took the chip lead" ad up, did it?

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Do we have information about who's on the TV table. Do way know Andy Bloch and Chip Jett's hands because their on the TV table?

Austiger
07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let the fun begin.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it. He didn't even have 1 club much less 2...he wasn't suited in another suit and got it mixed up with clubs...there was no strt flsh possible with that board...he didn't even have a strt...

Inexplicable.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...His opponent says, "Do I have a straight flush? Oh, no I don't" as he shows 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for 8-high

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it. He didn't even have 1 club much less 2...he wasn't suited in another suit and got it mixed up with clubs...there was no strt flsh possible with that board...he didn't even have a strt...

Inexplicable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what happened...the 86o guy doesn't give a damn.

jdog1999
07-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Maybe he was color blind. They should give him a do over. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KneeCo
07-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Donna from that 70s show plays AA well post-flop, but the pf min raise sucks.

redsoxsalty
07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...His opponent says, "Do I have a straight flush? Oh, no I don't" as he shows 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for 8-high

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Inexplicable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what happened...the 86o guy has been coked out of his mind since Monday morning

FYP

True North
07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Who is Makai Pfeiffer???

Please tell me they didn't misspell Mekhi Phifer's name that badly?

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Possible geniius here:

On a board of 6-4-4-7-3, Makai Pfeiffer faces a large reraise on the river. Thinking for a moment, Makai decides to flat call the raise with the 66, for the second nut full house. His opponent indeed shows the 77, and Makai miraculously maintains about $5,500 in chips by simply calling on the river.

UATrewqaz
07-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Makai Pfeiffer Loses The Minimum

On a board of 6-4-4-7-3, Makai Pfeiffer faces a large reraise on the river. Thinking for a moment, Makai decides to flat call the raise with the 66, for the second nut full house. His opponent indeed shows the 77, and Makai miraculously maintains about $5,500 in chips by simply calling on the river.

Yes, I'm sure it was his miraculous read that prevented him from going broke, rather than his complete incompetence.

GREAT hand Mekhi (an actor btw, who made a fool of himself on Celebrity Poker a few times I believe?)

http://www.afroamericansyndicate.com/images/mekhi_phifer.jpg

jdblacknines
07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Possible geniius here:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty damn amazing.

abarrenfuture
07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Chip Jett is the first name player to be ousted from this years WSOP ME

jdblacknines
Chip Jett is out

UATrewqaz
I never do the FYP thing but...

[ QUOTE ]
That's pretty damn retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, when somebody bets into you on the river, you raise them, and they reraise you, you don't consider the possibility that you're beat?

Bulldog
07-28-2006, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Possible geniius here:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty damn amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice play. I wonder if there was a 3467 of one suit out there.

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, when somebody bets into you on the river, you raise them, and they reraise you, you don't consider the possibility that you're beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have pissed my pants. Pooped a little, and then decided how much of a pussy I was that I was going to be afraid of the one over boat or quads.

Since it was the first half hour of teh first day, unless it was Danny or another pro, I would have folded with out showing, and mutter something about a bluff.

T

UATrewqaz
07-28-2006, 04:16 PM
I would have to know how the rest of the betting on the previous streets went and would also have to see the suits on the board to see if perhaps my opponent is a tard and has some straight or flush he thinks is good.

He may have one of the 4's, he may be some donk with an overpair, etc.

The % of time you are good here is far beyond the % of time you are bad.

Getting a bunch of chips early is probably a great thing in a tourney like this (I'm not a MTT pro by any means). I push and feel no shame if he shows 77 or 44.

AngusThermopyle
07-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Not that it is accurate, but at the top of the CP recaps:

PLAYERS LEFT: 2,479

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I would feel no shame if it was a big name pro, since you could go home, and tell everyone you got busted my The Professor, Jesus, The Unibomber or somesuch thing.

It would feel bad, but if you won online, it isnt real money is it.

T

Quicksilvre
07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds about right--I think they were expecting around 2,500 for today.

Maple Leafs
07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Interesting

[/ QUOTE ]
Was I the only one who initially read this as being an actual button (i.e. something you'd press)?

I had high hopes of a game-show like plunger. Preferably the one from Scrabble.

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:20 PM
How do alternates work in the Main Event? Do they take the seat of someone who doesnt show up, or fill in the open seats as people bust out in the first level?

Some other thing?

T

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Chip Leader: 1. Jean Gluck 18,750

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:21 PM
OOPS

Quads vs. 2nd Nuts
Ryan Fisler re-raises his opponent all-in on a board of 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif. His opponent quickly calls and flips over 10/images/graemlins/club.gif10/images/graemlins/spade.gif, for the second nuts, a full house, 10's over 8's. Fisler then flips over 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif for quad 7's. Not only is his opponent in shock, but now he's left with only $900 in chips. After this hand, Fisler is sitting with roughly $16,000.

Quicksilvre
07-28-2006, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

The button is no bigger than the chips, to ensure at least one dope is going to toss it in accidentally.

n1232
How is $18K leading this...I am sure a few people have busted by now, so someone has got to be over $20K...everyone that busted someone has lost a pot to fall back below $20K already?

abarrenfuture
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been at 2479 for about 20 minutes or so, so I'm sure there's more like 2450

Born 2 Loose
07-28-2006, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL DONKAMENTS

On a flop of 10/images/graemlins/club.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Tim Rod bets $300 and his opponent raises to $600. Rod calls and the turn puts the 3/images/graemlins/club.gif on the board. Rod again bets out with $1,500 and is again raised by his opponent to $4,000. Rod calls and the river puts the 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif on the board. Rod pushes all-in and his opponent immediately calls. Rod flips up K/images/graemlins/club.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif for a turned flush. His opponent says, "Do I have a straight flush? Oh, no I don't" as he shows 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif6/images/graemlins/spade.gif for 8-high.

[/ QUOTE ]

and the chip dumping begins... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bigdottawa
07-28-2006, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is $18K leading this...I am sure a few people have busted by now, so someone has got to be over $20K...everyone that busted someone has lost a pot to fall back below $20K already?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are definitely people above 20k, but does Cardplayer have enough people to cover the whole room to know all the chip counts? Doubtful.

From PocketFives.com...
[ QUOTE ]
Duff just called and he is moving chips early. He fell down to $7500 when he called a raise with deuces.

The board came Q 4 2 with two clubs and he checked. With a bet and a call behind him he just smooth calls. The turn was an offsuit Ace which somebody liked because Duff bet out and was raised with another call from the third player.

Duff pushes and there is a quick call from the raiser, the third man thinks it through and makes a crying call with his flush draw.

The river comes a blank and the set of deuces holds up and he is up to $25,000!

[/ QUOTE ]

Todd
[ QUOTE ]
OOPS

Quads vs. 2nd Nuts
Ryan Fisler re-raises his opponent all-in on a board of 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif. His opponent quickly calls and flips over 10/images/graemlins/club.gif10/images/graemlins/spade.gif, for the second nuts, a full house, 10's over 8's. Fisler then flips over 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif for quad 7's. Not only is his opponent in shock, but now he's left with only $900 in chips. After this hand, Fisler is sitting with roughly $16,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just noticed how careless(?)the writers at Cardplayer are

jdblacknines
[ QUOTE ]
OOPS

Quads vs. 2nd Nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow a brutal hand early on...that guy in on a ledge soon.

Kevmath
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Jean Gluck is a known name.

Jack Bando
07-28-2006, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leader of people Cardplayer has heard of.

Austiger
07-28-2006, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

The button is no bigger than the chips, to ensure at least one dope is going to toss it in accidentally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or fake-accidentally toss it in when you have the nuts?

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
I wonder if the all in button plays like a chip, or if it must be accompanied by verbal confirmation of the all-in.

Seems like someone is going to be bitterly diappointed by accidently pitching it into the pot.

I might prefer to just put it in my pocket, and take it out if I needed, as opposed to leaving it on the table at all.

T

bigdottawa
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Sounds like some people need start looking at their cards...

[ QUOTE ]
Galen Cranston is around the same amount he started with. But after running into aces that isn't bad at all. It was a funny hand, as the player with the aces thought he had A-4 offsuit, and checked it out, before nearly getting an heartattack when he flipped over his cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://blog.eurolinx.com/

AngusThermopyle
07-28-2006, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I just noticed how careless(?)the writers at Cardplayer are

[/ QUOTE ]

The batteries in my Acme Sarcasm Detector die again?

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:32 PM
I originally put something much more inflammatory, and changed it cuz it is good to be polite.

Sarcasm indeed.

T

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 04:36 PM
They did correct it to 10's full of 7's. Some mistakes are easier to forgive than others. Especially with the 8 being next to the 7, they're trying to get these updates up as quickly as possible. At the moment, Pokerwire has that hand up as BOTH players having quads.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking of heading over to the Rio in a bit. Anybody want special information?

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They did correct it to 10's full of 7's. Some mistakes are easier to forgive than others. Especially with the 8 being next to the 7, they're trying to get these updates up as quickly as possible. At the moment, Pokerwire has that hand up as BOTH players having quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why i edited it. Being polite is good, dont you know.

T

jonnyd
07-28-2006, 04:38 PM
all the CP bashing but pokerwire is no better..

Both Players Hit Quads
No Limit Hold'em Main Event
Jul 28, 2006 / 16:23:56 EDT
The board showed 7c7d5s10d8s, Ryan Fisler's opponent raised, Fisler reraised all in, and his opponent called. The players showed:

Ryan Fisler 7s7h
Opponent 10c10s

Fisler's opponent took the pot with quad 10's. After the hand Fisler had about 16K in chips.

pretty ridiculous

willie
07-28-2006, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL DONKAMENTS

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet merciful christ....how have my qualifying efforts failed.

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking of heading over to the Rio in a bit. Anybody want special information?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have fun.

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Girl Power
There are 55 women playing today on Day 1A
--

Whoa, 55 gals out of 2500 players. Is this the sign of a growth trend for women in poker?

bigdottawa
07-28-2006, 04:41 PM
After no updates for 25 minutes, CP offers this fascinating tidbit. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Girl Power

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Girl Power
--

Whoa, 55 gals out of 2500 players. Is this the sign of a growth trend for women in poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

2% may not be impressive. But, it projects to 210 players overall. That would have been 1/4 of the 2003 Main Event.

The lack of women in poker is one obvious road for growth.

Maple Leafs
The women are probably staying away for fear of all the incredibly awkward pick-up attempts that will be made tonight by guys using an "all-in" button.

ShawnHoo
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you mind finding out what the official word is regarding alternates? I'm considering flying in tomorrow morning from LA to register for Saturday and obviously don't want to find myself shutout once I arrive.

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:44 PM
My absolute favorite slow roll comment:

A thing of beauty. Ryan Fisler took a raise from his opponent and reraised on a board of the 7c 7 5s Td 8s. No waiting as his opponent called. Fisler flipped over two pair, 7 7 7 7 . He took his stack to 16K while the opponent now sits with a measly 900 an is sitting like a deer stuck in headlights. He had the T T for a the best full house. Ouch!!

Vuron00
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL DONKAMENTS

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet merciful christ....how have my qualifying efforts failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it too late for me to buy in directly? I'll quit my job and fly out tonight if this is the kind of crap that happening. And the hand where the guy checked down Aces because he misread his hand wasn't much better.

Bulldog
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports Guy Bill Simmons update por favor

Wubbie075
07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if the all in button plays like a chip, or if it must be accompanied by verbal confirmation of the all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL would be pretty sick to have some poor short stack toss his all-in button UTG without a verbal declaration and have it ruled a call... BB checks and cracks shortie's AA with 27 offsuit

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Sports Guy plays tomorrow.

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Bulldog,

Do you know what day Bill is playing?

Todd

^^^^^Thanks Kev.

Cair Paravel
07-28-2006, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sports Guy plays tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't he going to play in a stud event too? Anyone know anything about that?

EDIT: ESPN chat says he arrived in Vegas today. Never mind.

samjjones
07-28-2006, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Interesting

[/ QUOTE ]
Was I the only one who initially read this as being an actual button (i.e. something you'd press)?

I had high hopes of a game-show like plunger. Preferably the one from Scrabble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! THE STOPPER!

Kevmath
From the espn.com chat going on at the moment, re the PPV:

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN PPV of the final table, will we be seeing the hole cards of the players? If you do not know, how can I find that information out?

SportsNation Andrew Feldman: (4:09 PM ET ) From what I've heard, there are no pocket cams, but considering they hired a play-by-play guy and color commentary guy...I'm really not sure anymore. It wouldn't make sense for a PBP person to be there if he has nothing to comment on...

[/ QUOTE ]

prohornblower
[ QUOTE ]
all the CP bashing but pokerwire is no better..

Both Players Hit Quads
Jul 28, 2006 / 16:23:56 EDT
The board showed 7c7d5s10d8s, Ryan Fisler's opponent raised, Fisler reraised all in, and his opponent called. The players showed:

Ryan Fisler 7s7h
Opponent 10c10s

Fisler's opponent took the pot with quad 10's. After the hand Fisler had about 16K in chips.

pretty ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

10+10+10+7+7 = 44
7+7+7+7+10 = 38

44>>>>>>>>38

Dur.

samjjones
07-28-2006, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A thing of beauty. Ryan Fisler took a raise from his opponent and reraised on a board of the 7c 7 5s Td 8s. No waiting as his opponent called. Fisler flipped over two pair, 7 7 7 7 . He took his stack to 16K while the opponent now sits with a measly 900 an is sitting like a deer stuck in headlights. He had the T T for a the best full house. Ouch!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that villainous old Commodore pulled this move in "Maverick".

trying2learn
07-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Mizrachi Doesn't Appreciate Actors
On a board of 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, with around $650 in the pot, Michael "The Grinder" Mizrachi bets $650 and David Vaillancourt asks for time before finally making the call. The river puts the 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the board and Mizrachi bets out $1,500. Vaillancourt raises to $3,500 more and the Mizrachi says "You don't have to Hollywood." Mizrachi mulls over the hand for five minutes before finally folding. Vaillancourt takes down the pot of $8,000 and now sits with $12,000. Mizrachi is down to $7,300.

Okay, so here's the thing...If I'm in a pot at the ME with the f'n grinder with say...I don't know...KQ of diamonds - I sure as hell would want a couple seconds to decide on my turn play. I don't think the guy was 'hollywooding' it at all...granted I'm just reading an update...but was the other guys actions at least understandable considering the situation?

Todd
07-28-2006, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got to pull this once, playing Five Card draw capped on the end, and friend says what do you have? Two pair, Aces and Aces. His heart rose, then his heart fell.

It was a precious moment, considering that the whole point of playing cards with your friends is to screw them over* and then bust their balls about it.

T

*never cheating of course (not that this needs to be said).

Todd
07-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Re Alternates-

The guy on the ESPN chat says:

Jeff (Denver, CO): What do you mean by 'alternates'?

SportsNation Andrew Feldman: (4:35 PM ET ) Once players bust out of the tournament, the alternates take their seats at the table.

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 05:11 PM
From Gutshot, on the "new" way of seating alternates:

[ QUOTE ]
That was the old model, according to Mr. Fedder. Now, they have thought of something different. Instead of shoving alternates into tables as people get busted out, they are now going to wait for ten tables each to have an open seat, then they will bust one table, move those nine players one apiece to the other nine tables, filling them up. Now, with the open table, they’ll put ten alternates—each starting fresh, each new to each other, and each with $10,000 chips. “You see how that would be a tremendous improvement,” Blair told me.

[/ QUOTE ]

bqtrain
07-28-2006, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a board of 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, with around $650 in the pot, Michael "The Grinder" Mizrachi bets $650 and David Vaillancourt asks for time before finally making the call. The river puts the 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the board and Mizrachi bets out $1,500. Vaillancourt raises to $3,500 more and the Mizrachi says "You don't have to Hollywood." Mizrachi mulls over the hand for five minutes before finally folding. Vaillancourt takes down the pot of $8,000 and now sits with $12,000. Mizrachi is down to $7,300.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does anyone know this guy is an actor?

The most ballin actor alive (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0883225/)

Maybe the grinder is a Will and Grace fan?

SilverLining1
Fri Jul 28 12:32:00 PDT 2006
On a flop of 1075, Tim Rod bets $300 and his opponent raises to $600. Rod calls and the turn puts the 3 on the board. Rod again bets out with $1,500 and is again raised by his opponent to $4,000. Rod calls and the river puts the 3 on the board. Rod pushes all-in and his opponent immediately calls. Rod flips up KQ for a turned flush. His opponent says, "Do I have a straight flush? Oh, no I don't," as he shows 86 for 8-high.

Todd
That is much more equitable.

jbrent33
07-28-2006, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The women are probably staying away for fear of all the incredibly awkward pick-up attempts that will be made tonight by guys using an "all-in" button.

[/ QUOTE ]
brilliant

ShawnHoo
07-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Wow, this sounds great!

Austiger
07-28-2006, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
brilliant

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. Are you Tina Fey or something?

srjunkacct
07-28-2006, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got to pull this once, playing Five Card draw capped on the end, and friend says what do you have? Two pair, Aces and Aces. His heart rose, then his heart fell.

It was a precious moment, considering that the whole point of playing cards with your friends is to screw them over* and then bust their balls about it.

T

*never cheating of course (not that this needs to be said).

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember Bugs Bunny pulling off the "pair of aces and another pair of aces" once in an old Looney Tunes cartoon. I think it was against Yosemite Sam but I'm not sure. And I think he might have called them "pairs of ones".

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading over at Tao of Poker, it was the Gaming Commission that cracked down on people wearing .com logowear.

aramfingal
07-28-2006, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I remember Bugs Bunny pulling off the "pair of aces and another pair of aces" once in an old Looney Tunes cartoon. I think it was against Yosemite Sam but I'm not sure. And I think he might have called them "pairs of ones".

[/ QUOTE ]
i remember him saying "i only have 4 ones."
i could be wrong tho, i was very young at the time.

gusmahler
07-28-2006, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So immediately after berating his opponent for taking too long to call, he takes 5 minutes to fold. Brilliant.

Sgt Fishwife
07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
I see David Sklansky on the leaderboard with 15,700. Also Norman McDonald - could that be Norm McDonald, the actor?

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 05:52 PM
It would be that person, he is playing today.

midwestkc
07-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Sklansky is no. 5 in chips!

entertainme
07-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Vahedi Crippled
On a board of J/images/graemlins/club.gif10/images/graemlins/spade.gif9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, a player bets $500 and Amir Vahedi ($11,000) raises to $1,500. Wayne Boyd ($10,000) re-raises to $2,000 more and the first bettor moves all-in for $5,000 total. Vahedi also pushes all-in over the top for $9,000 and Boyd calls. Vahedi flips up 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif for a set, Boyd shows K/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif for a straight and the other player turns over 8-7 for a lower straight. The turn and river come A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, upgrading Boyd's straight and giving him the pot. Boyd is now up to $25,000, while Vahedi stack is down to $700 and the other player is eliminated.

No way I'm calling all in here on my bottom set with a re-raise and all in in front of me and a straight on the board.

(This is how us weak tight players console ourselves.)

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 06:01 PM
From Gutshot:

[ QUOTE ]
There are a few people out there that haven't a clue as to what they're doing. One hand involved four no-names 'battling' it out. A man limped from middle position, as did a guy in the cutoff, the button folded, and the blinds limped along. The board was checked down all the way when it came... KKKQQ

The guy from middle position tabled T7 offsuit, the cutoff showed A7 offsuit, the small blind showed 96 offsuit, and the big blind MUCKED!!! The dealer shrugged and chopped up the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

GrannyMae
07-28-2006, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading over at Tao of Poker, it was the Gaming Commission that cracked down on people wearing .com logowear.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not saying this can't be true. however, what in the world would the gaming commission have objections to, considering their authority and scope?

Ignignokt
07-28-2006, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not saying this can't be true. however, what in the world would the gaming commission have objections to, considering their authority and scope?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevada state law explicitly bans online poker.

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 06:14 PM
It's the illusion that they are promoting online gambling I suppose. I could almost swear they did the same thing last year at the start of last year's tournament.

GrannyMae
07-28-2006, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevada state law explicitly bans online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand this. however, i can't believe they would be sticking their noses in how adults 21+ dress. where's the freedom of speech? i could understand harra's prohibiting it for commercial reasons, but the gaming commission?

Soulman
07-28-2006, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From Gutshot:

[ QUOTE ]
There are a few people out there that haven't a clue as to what they're doing. One hand involved four no-names 'battling' it out. A man limped from middle position, as did a guy in the cutoff, the button folded, and the blinds limped along. The board was checked down all the way when it came... KKKQQ

The guy from middle position tabled T7 offsuit, the cutoff showed A7 offsuit, the small blind showed 96 offsuit, and the big blind MUCKED!!! The dealer shrugged and chopped up the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow.

Ignignokt
07-28-2006, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where's the freedom of speech?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please come to Washington and make that case, because our gambling commission has gone into the business of shutting down affiliate sites, and even non-affiliate entities who "promote" online poker.

AtlasRaised
07-28-2006, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky is no. 5 in chips!

[/ QUOTE ]

No he isn't. CP does not have the chip totals of all 2300 people in the room. They just list notables.

but sitting with 20.5k, Sklansky is definitely killing it.

GL David!

MicroBob
07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Doubling-up early is a good thing early on but he certainly isn't #5 of the all the players there.

Also, doubling-up early-on CAN last you for awhile, but it can vanish pretty quickly (and especially so if David is playing a bit faster to try to accumulate chips off the idiots before they bust-out).

I almost doubled-up in the first hour or 2 of the main-event last year. Hit my set against a guy with pocket AA and I was at 18.5k or so.

10 minutes later I lose with KK all-in pre-flop vs. AA and I was down to 6.5k.

Stuff happens.

thebeebster
07-28-2006, 07:02 PM
imagine how rich sklansky and malmuth would become if he david won the main event. 2+2 books would skyrocket up the charts on top of the 10 mil first prize.

willie
07-28-2006, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vahedi Crippled
On a board of J/images/graemlins/club.gif10/images/graemlins/spade.gif9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, a player bets $500 and Amir Vahedi ($11,000) raises to $1,500. Wayne Boyd ($10,000) re-raises to $2,000 more and the first bettor moves all-in for $5,000 total. Vahedi also pushes all-in over the top for $9,000 and Boyd calls. Vahedi flips up 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif for a set, Boyd shows K/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif for a straight and the other player turns over 8-7 for a lower straight. The turn and river come A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, upgrading Boyd's straight and giving him the pot. Boyd is now up to $25,000, while Vahedi stack is down to $700 and the other player is eliminated.

No way I'm calling all in here on my bottom set with a re-raise and all in in front of me and a straight on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

part gamble + part pot odds..... not the worst play- sucks though.

UATrewqaz
07-28-2006, 07:04 PM
This would a complete disaster for winning poker players, as the quality of games would plummet.

Exitonly
07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
BS. 2+2 doesnt = magically good at poker. It'll just trick even more people into thinking they're gonna get rich on poker.

thebeebster
07-28-2006, 07:12 PM
is the prize pool announced yet?

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 07:13 PM
I'd guess the payouts will be made available midway thru Day 1D

aramfingal
07-28-2006, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
that's worse than the guy who called an all-in with 8 high.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mini-trip report

It's a madhouse at the Rio.

I arrived just after the 2:30 break and the hallways were flooded with players. I actually bumped in to Mason. But, since he was headed the other way, I didn't ask him how he was doing.

Walking through the tournament room is nearly impossible. The spectators are shoulder to shoulder throughout the room. I kept to the outer most rim where you could occassionally watch a table from the ropes. I had no desire to try to venture down towards the ESPN table (in the far back of the room).

I did witness one interesting hand between two anonymous players. UTG had presumably raised pre-flop. UTG+1 had presumably reraised. All the other players folded. I got to the table just as the two of them got all their chips into the pot.

UTG flipped over K/images/graemlins/heart.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG+1 showed A/images/graemlins/spade.gifA/images/graemlins/club.gif. The flop was 9,9,8 with two /images/graemlins/heart.gifs. The turn was a non-heart low card.

The river card was one of those slow motion moments. As the dealer turned it, I quickly recognized it as a face card. Then (and I can't explain why I thought this), I saw the card and said to myself "it's a guy!". I leaned foward a bit to get a good look and it was just a Jack. The AA held up and crippled the KK's stack.

I wasn't able to check on any of the requests above.

MicroBob
07-28-2006, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
imagine how rich sklansky and malmuth would become if he david won the main event. 2+2 books would skyrocket up the charts on top of the 10 mil first prize.

[/ QUOTE ]

The book sales have already sky-rocketed.

I think they mentioned going from 15k total book sales in 2000 (or 99, or somewhere in there) to 450k total books last year.

I think that winning the $10-mil would be a bit more significant than the spike in book-sales.

I also don't think they're going to win it all anyway (call me a doubter).

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This would a complete disaster for winning poker players, as the quality of games would plummet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it wouldn't. People have been saying games are going to get bad for years due to 2+2's books and website. Yet, they're as good as ever.

If Mason were to win the Main Event, I don't think it would change his life much. He'd use the publicity to promote Two Plus Two Publishing. But, I don't see him sponsoring stuff the way other WSOP champions and tournament pros do.

Ignignokt
07-28-2006, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vahedi Crippled

[/ QUOTE ]

part gamble + part pot odds..... not the worst play- sucks though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Even if both villains had pushed first and turned their hands face-up before Vahedi had made his decision to call or not, it would be awfully hard to fold with all of the board-pairing outs being completely clean.

Ignignokt
07-28-2006, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BS. 2+2 doesnt = magically good at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

As evidenced by BBV and the Psychology forum.

Quicksilvre
07-28-2006, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't they ban .com clothing last year too, or am I thinking of something else?

thebeebster
07-28-2006, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think they mentioned going from 15k total book sales in 2000 (or 99, or somewhere in there) to 450k total books last year.

I think that winning the $10-mil would be a bit more significant than the spike in book-sales.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't honestly say that a main event win on espn wouldn't sky rocket sales even further. probably exponentially.

AngusThermopyle
07-28-2006, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't they ban .com clothing last year too, or am I thinking of something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, but you would think the sites would have checked first.
Or just drop the dot com and go with just PartyPoker or PokerStars, etc.

thebeebster
07-28-2006, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while that is an option, the goal of advertising is to bring in the guy with no clue at all what you're selling. internet poker guy already knows that party and stars are websites. average joe flipping past espn doesn't.

Exitonly
07-28-2006, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't honestly say that a main event win on espn wouldn't sky rocket sales even further. probably exponentially.

[/ QUOTE ]

he wasn't saying that a win wouldn't skyrocket it further.. just that they've already gotten a spike in sales w/o winning it

Dominic
07-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Jean Gluck's out

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 07:40 PM
This is from Pokerstars 2006 Primer:

[ QUOTE ]
Q. Could you please advise if there is any dress code for WSOP players?

A. PokerStars players who have agreed to wear PokerStars gear will be provided shirts to wear. Otherwise, almost anything goes in the poker room. The one exception is, you will not be allowed to wear clothing with any ".com" branding on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Joe Sebok has arrived at the tournament dressed as "Robin" from the Batman and Robin comic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/v_humorbug_54f379b040.jpg

MicroBob
07-28-2006, 07:41 PM
I think a win would spike it somewhat, but aren't 2+2 books generally some of the highest selling poker-books out there already?

I don't think the impact on book-sales would be nearly as huge as you would think.

benfranklin
07-28-2006, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it wouldn't. People have been saying games are going to get bad for years due to 2+2's books and website. Yet, they're as good as ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like that would increase book sales. Most people who bought the books would not read them, let alone implement the strategy. Same as in the past. Anyone want to make a bet as to over/under percentage of the people who bought HOH I & II and have digested and successfully implemented the material?

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while that is an option, the goal of advertising is to bring in the guy with no clue at all what you're selling. internet poker guy already knows that party and stars are websites. average joe flipping past espn doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a massive Gaming and Life convention area next to the tournament hall. The online sites dominate the room. Every poker site has a massive setup with scantilly clad girls and prmotional materials. So, if it's the Nevada Gaming Commission preventing the .com advertising, they sure are being hypocrites about it.

Dominic
07-28-2006, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Sebok has arrived at the tournament dressed as "Robin" from the Batman and Robin comic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Sebok, Boy Wonder
Jul 28, 2006 / 19:37:35 EDT
Joe Sebok was a late arrival today, and a noticeable one.

As part of a WSOP bet with Gavin Smith, whichever of the two players accumulated fewer "points" during prelim hold'em events would have to dress in a superhero's costume (of the other player's choice) for the Main Event.

Today, Joe Sebok is dressed as Robin, from Batman & Robin. And every time he eliminates a player (which should be often), he has to say, "Bam! Zonk! Ka-pow!"

this is just awesome

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 07:46 PM
I think those are all .net rooms. Maybe Gaming got some encouragement from this editorial in the LV Sun on Sunday. http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/gaming/2006/jul/23/566674520.html

dmk
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
quick update from my phone. 21350 at 2nd break. big hand so far, 50/100, ep limps, I limp from co w/ 43s, sb completes. 256 with 2 of my suit. ep bets 500, I make it 1400, he shoves 7k and busts w/ tt.

also, i've had 11 pocket pairs (2s 2s 4s 5s 5s 6s 6s 7s 8s 8s tt) and have 0 sets.

gl all still in

thebeebster
07-28-2006, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he shoves 7k

[/ QUOTE ]

lol donkaments.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think those are all .net rooms. Maybe Gaming got some encouragement from this editorial in the LV Sun on Sunday. http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/gaming/2006/jul/23/566674520.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure .com didn't appear anywhere in the convention area. But, like the editorial says, the distinction between .com and .net is a joke.

Thalum
07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
quick update from my phone. 21350 at 2nd break. big hand so far, 50/100, ep limps, I limp from co w/ 43s, sb completes. 256 with 2 of my suit. ep bets 500, I make it 1400, he shoves 7k and busts w/ tt.

also, i've had 11 pocket pairs (2s 2s 4s 5s 5s 6s 6s 7s 8s 8s tt) and have 0 sets.

gl all still in

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ok, save your big PP for the sets /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm wondering if the Nevada state law banning online poker was around the time when the casinos considered it a threat to their interests. When Moneymaker won in 03, he seemed to be hesitant to talk about Pokerstars.

UATrewqaz
07-28-2006, 07:58 PM
There are alot of casual type players who don't know good books from bad, there are people who buy Ken Warren's books (due to ignorance) and MoneyMaker's book (due to knowing who he is).

If Sklansky were to win, there would be ALOT of buzz about how this big time poker author/theorist won and there'd be tons of talk about hte books and envitably alot of those casual/ignorant types would pick up 2+2 stuff due to name recognition.

While they would still probably be sucky players, they'd at least have good info in front of them. Rather than a HUGE HUGE winning player they might become moderate losers, etc.

xedin
07-28-2006, 07:58 PM
youre not allowed to advertise .com anywhere (TV, radio, etc)

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm well aware of that. I'm referring to a specific Nevada law that bans online poker.

MicroBob
07-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Most TV, radio, etc CHOOSE not air such ads out of fear of the DOJ. But that's different than not being 'allowed' to air it.

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 08:07 PM
ESPN table at the moment:

Seat 1 - Robert Burns
Seat 2 - Jenny Kang
Seat 3 - James Olson
Seat 4 - Scotty Nguyen
Seat 5 - David Toneman
Seat 6 - William Mosey
Seat 7 - Michael Chow
Seat 8 - Randall Hughes
Seat 9 - Beth Shak

AngusThermopyle
07-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Was the dot com ban in effect for the earlier events?
If not, it may be a ESPN/sponsor problem instead, not the Nev Gaming Comm.

Exitonly
07-28-2006, 08:09 PM
terrible ESPN table.

and GOOOOOOO dmk. glad to see you got rid of that run-bad. good timing.

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 08:13 PM
It had to have been, although it seems to have been much less strictly enforced.

Also it looks like the "official" number for day 1A is 2138, with about 1800 left.

MicroBob
07-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Without wanting to go back and read the whole thread to find it: can someone tell me more of what's happening with the dot-com ban this year?

So if anyone has a dot-com shirt do they have to put tape over that part?

What if it just says "PokerStars" (without the com or the net)?

Did they make a zillion people change their clothes?

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Tape over .com
And yes, people had to either tape over or turn their shirt/jersey inside out.
Just the name of the site seems to be fine, as long as there's no .com
Pokerstars WSOP Primer mentioned that you're NOT allowed to wear clothing with .com on it.

Jeff76
[ QUOTE ]
While they would still probably be sucky players, they'd at least have good info in front of them.

[/ QUOTE ]Yup, but misapplied theory is just as good as no theory at all. Consider the guy in the tournament I played in this week who said "I don't like to push all in with made hands- only big draws. It's because of the implied odds".

So a couple of hands after he says this he pushes all in on an undercard flush draw and hits. He says "See, implied odds".

I type back, "yup". /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Todd
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sing it with me,

Expedia...dot.com

I thought that was the rule as well, but expedia and monster adverts are all over the place

Exitonly
07-28-2006, 08:18 PM
.com gambling sites

AngusThermopyle
07-28-2006, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pokerstars WSOP Primer mentioned that you're NOT allowed to wear clothing with .com on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at the "sneak preview" of the PokerStars "goody bag", and everything was .com. Maybe there was something with out it, but I don't see it in the picture.

So if the Primer knew about the regulation, why didn't the clothing people (at Stars and the other sites)?

Josh11
07-28-2006, 08:24 PM
More quality hilarity from cardplayer in the last two updates:

[ QUOTE ]
Oldest Entrant Victor Golden Eliminated
On a board showing 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, with $3,000 already in the pot, the player in the small blind position, John Luv, checks. A player in mid-position bets $500 and Victor Golden and the player on the button call. Luv raises to $4,500 more and Golden calls for his last $100. The mid-position player also calls, creating a side-pot and leaving two active players. The turn puts the 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the board and Luv shoots out with a $4,000 bet, which the mid-position player calls. The river brings the 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and Luv moves all-in for his remaining $6,050, causing the mid-position player to fold. Luv takes down the side-pot and flips up 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif for two pair, while Golden shows K /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for top pair. Victor Golden, the oldest player in the World Series of Poker at 91, is eliminated from the tournament. Luv is now sitting with $27,150

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
With $12,000 already in the pot before the turn, John Hoang ($15,000 before the hand) leads at the A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif board for $3,000. His opponent moves all-in and has Hoang covered. Hoang wastes no time in calling with the nut flush, A /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. His opponent turns over A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif which leaves him drawing dead. The 10 falls on the river and Hoang has doubled up to $30,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: They fixed it now.

MicroBob
07-28-2006, 08:28 PM
There are lots of people out there who can say terms like pot-odds, implied-odds, etc.
This means that they actually do have SOME knowledge.

But this is hardly enough to make them a good player.

2+2 book sales have already sky-rocketed and the general quality of play all over the place is still pretty awful.

We could put a copy of every 2+2 book in every home, building, office, etc in the U.S. and I think the level of play across the board wouldn't really change very much.

onthebutton
07-28-2006, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The turn delivers the 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif for Chen, giving him the mortal nuts. Chen will have to avoid having the board pair on the last card to triple up and survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ Cardplayer.

rothko
07-28-2006, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Sebok, Boy Wonder

As part of a WSOP bet with Gavin Smith, whichever of the two players accumulated fewer "points" during prelim hold'em events would have to dress in a superhero's costume (of the other player's choice) for the Main Event.

Today, Joe Sebok is dressed as Robin, from Batman & Robin. And every time he eliminates a player (which should be often), he has to say, "Bam! Zonk! Ka-pow!"

this is just awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

lol and gavin smith in a superhero costume? who would he be porkchop man?

riverdance
07-28-2006, 08:31 PM
i played with that old guy, victor golden, last year, day 1a.

he was/is awful, regardless of age

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Here's an example of getting a bad dealer, from p5slive:

[ QUOTE ]
Funny story from his play so far: He picked up AQ and got involved in a pot with a woman, when the flop came Q 8 x. He made a big bet, and she went all in for about $3k more, which he called. She turned over a set of 8's, and instead of finishing the hand, the dealer just moved the pot to the woman with the set of 8's, without asking Duff to put the remaining $3k in chips in the pot. Nice fortunate turn of events for Duff, and we'll be keeping you posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

pindawg
07-28-2006, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The turn delivers the 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif for Chen, giving him the mortal nuts. Chen will have to avoid having the board pair on the last card to triple up and survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ Cardplayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

mortal:
1. Liable or subject to death.

Todd
07-28-2006, 08:49 PM
When one says 'Mortal Lock' one means that they are expected to win, unless they should happen to die.

In this sense the essence of the Card Player "mortal nuts" is at odds with this (admittedly colloquial) use of mortal.

pipedreamz
07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
norm macdonald, chip leader, please say it isn't the actor.

Kevmath
It is the actor.

MakesCents
its already been said, its him
edit: too slow /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack Bando
07-28-2006, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
norm macdonald, chip leader of kwown players , please say it isn't the actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it wasn't, I doubt they'd be following him on day 1.

pipedreamz
07-28-2006, 08:53 PM
thanks

so is there a better updater than card player.com?

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Pokerwire
Pokerpages

Although both are basically shadowing CP's updates.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
norm macdonald, chip leader, please say it isn't the actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played with Norm in the Mirage 20-40 game. He was quiet in that game. But, he has a reputation of being a maniac.

He's good friends with 2+2 poster Gabe.

billyjex
07-28-2006, 09:01 PM
my real life friend and msnl poster effina just lost a 40k pot (he is now out) w/ AK vs AA on a AxxK board.

THEOSU
07-28-2006, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my real life friend and msnl poster effina just lost a 40k pot (he is now out) w/ AK vs AA on a AxxK board.

[/ QUOTE ]

jex,

how are your imaginary friends doing?

billyjex
07-28-2006, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jex,

how are your imaginary friends doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

my imaginary friend southern58 just got eliminated.

GrannyMae
07-28-2006, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

iirc, this the result of a bet with someone. gavin maybe?

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 09:13 PM
It was, whomever (between Gavin and Joe) did worse in holdem events during the WSOP had to wear the costume.

Artsemis
07-28-2006, 09:14 PM
I think you're right! =d

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Sebok, Boy Wonder

Uglyowl
07-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Norm McDonald up to $48,000 chips

EDIT: NOW DOWN TO $15,000 (MANIAC?)

GrannyMae
07-28-2006, 09:24 PM
you should be green during the wsop.
seriously.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I reccomended Kevmath for modship in the Televised Poker forum. If he wants it, he should PM Mat.

Uglyowl
07-28-2006, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Norm McDonald up to $48,000 chips

EDIT: NOW DOWN TO $15,000 (MANIAC?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, Poor Norm /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Mark Vos Takes Command
Mark Vos is now sitting with $78,000 in chips, and Norm MacDonald, to his right, is now only sitting with $15,000. Vos took an enormous pot off of MacDonald when Mark cracked Norm's Aces with Q-J, making two pair.

NotMitch
07-28-2006, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true I saw pokerstars.com ads tonight on cnbc

GrannyMae
07-28-2006, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I reccomended Kevmath for modship in the Televised Poker forum. If he wants it, he should PM Mat.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he would be amazing in that forum.

jaybert
07-28-2006, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

.com or .net? big difference

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 09:47 PM
The last time I saw .com poker ads was during the PokerStars WPT event, and they were for PartyPoker, strangely enough.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Norm McDonald eliminated.

Clonie Gowen eliminated.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I love this stuff.

Jack Mahalingam is all-in for $5,000 and is called an opponent in late position. Mahalingam shows 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif and his opponent has 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. The flop is 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and his opponent flops quads. The turn is a 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif giving Mahalingam a gut-shot straight flush draw (his only way to win). The river is the 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif giving Mahalingam the straight flush and taking the hand.

FeNeF
07-28-2006, 09:50 PM
"Jack Mahalingam is all-in for $5,000 and is called an opponent in late position. Mahalingam shows 8spade8club and his opponent has 5heart5club. The flop is 6spade5spade5diamond and his opponent flops quads. The turn is a 9spade giving Mahalingam a gut-shot straight flush draw (his only way to win). The river is the 7spade giving Mahalingam the straight flush and taking the hand."

jesus christ almighty

EDIT: Oh they got in preflop? nvm

MrBrightside
07-28-2006, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love this stuff.

Jack Mahalingam is all-in for $5,000 and is called an opponent in late position. Mahalingam shows 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif and his opponent has 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. The flop is 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and his opponent flops quads. The turn is a 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif giving Mahalingam a gut-shot straight flush draw (his only way to win). The river is the 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif giving Mahalingam the straight flush and taking the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap! I just ran that on twodimes Link (http://twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&b=6s+5s+5d&d=&h=8c+8s%0D%0A5h+5c)

and the dude was 99.7% to win.. 3 in thousand. wow.

cameronw01
07-28-2006, 09:54 PM
My nomination for worst beat ever would probably involve a beat, but whatever.

NotMitch
07-28-2006, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

.com or .net? big difference

[/ QUOTE ]

.com Im sure of it. It was an older ad with a big heavy guy and Moneymaker.

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 09:56 PM
So flopping quads and losing isn't a bad beat?

Ungoliant
07-28-2006, 09:57 PM
The money went in preflop. It's not a bad beat. It's an ugly way to lose. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

krille
07-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Live poker is rigged

gumpzilla
07-28-2006, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming he means that the money went in with 55 way behind.

tedtodd
07-28-2006, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Norm McDonald eliminated.

Clonie Gowen eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow....tilt much norm? getting AA cracked is brutal with that stack.

GO DMK!!!

cameronw01
07-28-2006, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a bad beat. It's an ugly way to lose. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap! I just ran that on twodimes Link (http://twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&b=6s+5s+5d&d=&h=8c+8s%0D%0A5h+5c)

and the dude was 99.7% to win.. 3 in thousand. wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be worse. The 88 had two backdoor draws to the straight flush and quads.

I've been beaten by runner-runner perfect which is 989:1 (KK vs. 94 on a K,7,4 flop).

rageatm
07-28-2006, 10:01 PM
fyi if u know rageaddict or imthedirt.... from online he is at 28500 at the dinner break

Kevmath
07-28-2006, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a bad beat. It's an ugly way to lose. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken, and noted.

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 10:02 PM
All players are now on dinner break until 8:20 p.m. PDT. When they return they will play in level 4 of the tournament with blinds at $100-$200 with a $25 ante.

I hate the dinner break.

UATrewqaz
07-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Was this guy the dealer from that table?

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2950/image1qf3.jpg

TomCollins
07-28-2006, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTT (post of the thread)

Dynasty
07-28-2006, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTT (post of the thread)

[/ QUOTE ]

I make this joke every couple weeks at the tables. Basically, I say "he (the dealer) used to deal online".