PDA

View Full Version : Hellmuth Wins 10th Bracelet!

Filet O' Fish
07-26-2006, 03:57 AM
Well done Phil, congratulations!

Jourdain
07-26-2006, 04:00 AM
Does anyone see a different style of playing from Phil? I think he is more agressive, as far I have seen from the HH's on CP.

Congratulations Phil!

pokergrader
07-26-2006, 04:02 AM
Thank you hellmuth.

You made my $50 bet at 18-1 look good.

ravenfan1733
07-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Congratulations Phil. You deserved to win at least 1 this year. Well done.

jimpo
07-26-2006, 04:07 AM
This has been a good WSOP so far for Phil.

Aceshigh7
07-26-2006, 04:10 AM
Hellmuth seems to be dialed in at this WSOP.

Ace-Ex
07-26-2006, 04:11 AM
Listening to the interview on Sirius, he's still cocky Phil! He's positive he's the best player in the world. Maybe he's right.

Ace-Ex
07-26-2006, 04:13 AM
"I know what everyone has every hand."

SkandarAkbar
07-26-2006, 04:27 AM
Love him or hate him the guy is playing at a high level, congrats Phil.

Jooka
07-26-2006, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth seems to be dialed in at this WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, I wouldnt be suprised to see him really deep in the main event this year. final table deep.

RutgersKev
07-26-2006, 05:03 AM
Congrats Phil!!! I hope this shuts a few people up. (At least until he busts out of the Main Event)

Enrique
07-26-2006, 05:51 AM
I love the video where they interview him in cardplayer.

"Juha clearly was willing to gamble in big pots. I don't blame him. I mean, he was playing ME."

Jooka
07-26-2006, 05:53 AM
and don flowed from every balcony to drench anyone within the area of Phil. Congrats.

Whitewash
07-26-2006, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone see a different style of playing from Phil? I think he is more agressive, as far I have seen from the HH's on CP.

Congratulations Phil!

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil has always been aggressive, he plays a lot of smallball but plays a lot of pots.

Whitewash
07-26-2006, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
honestly, I wouldnt be suprised to see him really deep in the main event this year. final table deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to bet on a guy that is as burned out at this very second as anyone in poker?

SEABEAST
07-26-2006, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jooka
07-26-2006, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to bet on a guy that is as burned out at this very second as anyone in poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

did i say bet? maybe I cant read my own post right.

IlPug
07-26-2006, 07:02 AM
damn im almost sad, cuz i dont like what ive seen of him, but hes done well so far.. hes made the final table how many times already?

congrats to phil, i hate to say it, but he probably deserves it.

07-26-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread makes me happy. I love that there is a 3-way tie again for most WSOP bracelets.

BigSoonerFan
07-26-2006, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did i say bet? maybe I cant read my own post right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you can't read between your own lines!

jively
07-26-2006, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
damn im almost sad, cuz i dont like what ive seen of him, but hes done well so far.. hes made the final table how many times already?

congrats to phil, i hate to say it, but he probably deserves it.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's having a killer series. 3 final tables, with a 2nd, 6th, and the 1st. 6 cashes (http://www.cardplayer.com/players/results/Phil_Hellmuth_Jr./1356) so far. Cardplayer also has him as POY leader right now, but Madsen should re-overtake today.

Congrats Phil!

-Tom

Mygtar
07-26-2006, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's positive he's the best player in the world. Maybe he's right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you say, "Chip Reese, Doyle Brunson, Todd Brunson, Daniel Negreanu, Barry Greenstein, Johnny Chan, Jen Harman, ad naseum?" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Helmuth maybe one of the best hold'em tornanment players, best all around or cash game player is a totally different thing. IMHO

jdblacknines
07-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Outstanding tournament from PH so far. I think he has changed his style as the tournament has gone on. He has played more hands in more spots. He lost at the first FT because he was too tight, but you could see his adjustment here.

I think this proves Phil is the greatest hold-em player in the world. All 10 of his bracelets are in Hold-em. Well done Phil.

neverforgetlol
07-26-2006, 08:40 AM
holdem tournament player, not holdem overall though.

Starfish
07-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Full boat on the river against Juha's flush, and then KK preflop. Congratulations, Phil, for your excellent card luck! You are the king of the luckboxes! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

boo5000
07-26-2006, 09:07 AM
I do believe getting to the FT is a prerequisite for luckboxing the FT. He has done it 3 times so far. The win was inevitable.

Good job Phil.

eclinchy
07-26-2006, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's positive he's the best player in the world. Maybe he's right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you say, "Chip Reese, Doyle Brunson, Todd Brunson, Daniel Negreanu, Barry Greenstein, Johnny Chan, Jen Harman, ad naseum?" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, good start... but you're forgetting at least one really important name.

Hint: Hellmuth's not even the best Phil. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way people, I can't believe you're even trying to make main event predictions. In a field this big, don't bother. I can't wait to laugh at all you people when Hellmuth finishes 7,943rd.

chicken10der
07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Damn, when I woke up this morning I was hoping to read that he finished 2nd or 3rd so I could say "I can dodge bracelets, baby!"

Oh well, I wonder if he feels a little more sting from that 2nd place finish earlier, as if he won that one, this would be the record-breaking bracelet instead of the record-tying.

Borgland
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well done Phil, congratulations!

[/ QUOTE ]

jdblacknines
07-26-2006, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Full boat on the river against Juha's flush, and then KK preflop. Congratulations, Phil, for your excellent card luck! You are the king of the luckboxes! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you forgot to mention PH had the set BEFORE Juha hit the flush.

and do you really think PH got lucky 10 times at the WSOP?!

jdblacknines
07-26-2006, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way people, I can't believe you're even trying to make main event predictions. In a field this big, don't bother. I can't wait to laugh at all you people when Hellmuth finishes 7,943rd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because if he doesn't win the ME, he suddenly will be no good? Right /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i am run
07-26-2006, 09:49 AM
No luck involved during that game.
congrats phil, you deserved it.

Clayton
07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't tell if you're trolling or not, but you have to get lucky to win any MTT. i would assume you've never won one to think otherwise.

actually, you definitely said Phil was the greatest hold'em player, so that makes you a troll or a retard, either way ignorable like whoa.

two0crew
07-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Also, all the chips were in preflop it was just an elaborate coin-flip win. Anyways, Phil has to be still considered in the top-level of Hold-em MTTers.

jdblacknines
07-26-2006, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't tell if you're trolling or not, but you have to get lucky to win any MTT. i would assume you've never won one to think otherwise.

actually, you definitely said Phil was the greatest hold'em player, so that makes you a troll or a retard, either way ignorable like whoa.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't honestly be that dense. Do you think its all lucky. Obviously there is some, but to win 10 times takes more than just luck.

Starfish
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone ever calculated who are the persons that have participated the most WSOP events in the history? There was some talking here before that Hellmuth has been at every possible event during the last 20 years or so (Who remembers the source? It was some big name.). And back then there wasn't many participants, so you almost had to win a few bracelets.

Also there were those claims of the year, when three players won 8 events together. I hope those team play rumors weren't true...

(Not saying he hasn't some skills too, but he isn't in the class of Doyle and several other big guys.)

miajag
07-26-2006, 10:14 AM
I know this event isn't going to be televised but I really hope there's video of Hellmuth making his patented spastic insta-call on the KK vs. AT hand against Helppi.

Rianna
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Hell of a job Phil, in this day of the big fields. Congrats, you again have proven that you should be ranked right at the top in tourney play, at the WSOP at least IMHO.

If I'm not mistaken, your doing as well if not better than any name pro this year. You may act like a child sometimes, maybe it's in large part an act, but re tourneys, you CAN play the game.

Proud of your accomplishments. what a player.

Rianna
07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Greatest TOURNEY holdem player in the world, I would agree ESP. with all of the young guns, new, talented players and huge fields.

Very Impressive.

Rianna
07-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Credit where it's due, Starfish with all due respect your insulting post IMHO makes you look like a fool.

Starfish
07-26-2006, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Credit where it's due, Starfish with all due respect your insulting post IMHO makes you look like a fool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, why wouldn't you comment the subjects then?

jdblacknines
07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

CaryDarling
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, to win one of these events you get lucky. But to win 10 bracelets, you're damn good enough to get yourself into a position to get lucky.

I'm not a huge Phil fan, but I'm also not trying to work out adolescent angst on an internet message board like a lot of posters here at 2+2, so I'm man enough to admit the guy has talent, and does deserve some respect for his accomplishments.

Most people here at 2+2 (me included), their 15 minutes of fame will be a witty post, or retort on a message board, while Phil goes down in actual history books...damn for all the haters on 2+2...jealousy must be a bitch.

jdblacknines
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Greatest TOURNEY holdem player in the world, I would agree ESP. with all of the young guns, new, talented players and huge fields.

Very Impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have said tourney in my earlier post. PH is on top of his game right now...congrats.

JJNJustin
07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this event isn't going to be televised but I really hope there's video of Hellmuth making his patented spastic insta-call on the KK vs. AT hand against Helppi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this kind of reminds me of that old commercial where the they geeky guy raises all-in and says "all-in all-in yeah." and takes his shirt off and slams it on the table.

-J

Solitare
07-26-2006, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait to laugh at all you people when Hellmuth finishes 7,943rd.

[/ QUOTE ]
Phil will not have made his grand entrance before the 7943rd player goes out.

CappyAA
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Is jdblacknines really Hellmuth on here???

sng-sam
07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Phil and Tony G?!?!? this is going to make great TV anyone know for sure if this will be televised? I can't imagine that ESPN would miss this opportunity.

Straight Flushes,

SAM

eclinchy
07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because if he doesn't win the ME, he suddenly will be no good? Right /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say he'll be no good? No, I didn't. Stop putting words in my mouth.

My point is simple: the field is so huge, there's almost no way to predict whether a player will finish 7,943rd, first, or somewhere in between. For now, don't even try. Let's see Phil survive a few days at the beginning of the ME... then we can start talking predictions.

eclinchy
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is jdblacknines really Hellmuth on here???

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not. Have you even read his posts?

jively
07-26-2006, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no way he finishes that low. First, he won't be there for a few hours, so he'll probably be aboe 7,900 before he sits down. Then we won't be all-in and called for awhile. He won't put his tournament life on the line early without the nuts...

-Tom

Brent.
07-26-2006, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this event isn't going to be televised...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true? This event won't be on TV?

Rushmore
07-26-2006, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and don flowed from every balcony to drench anyone within the area of Phil. Congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my God, that's disgusting.

Who the hell is this "Don," and what makes him think it's ok to "flow" onto the crowd below?!

Anyway, gotta give Hellmuth credit. Pretty damned impressive.

Yo Adrians!
07-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Phil's from Wisconsin. I'm from Wisconsin. I think he's fun to watch on TV. I was cheering for him the whole time.

Congrats, Mr. Hellmuth.

DVaut1
07-26-2006, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true? This event won't be on TV?

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN had a skeleton crew on hand to film it, according to CardPlayer. How coverages of last night's FT (with the skeleton crew) manifests itself on ESPN is a question not many here can answer.

J-Mac
07-26-2006, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn, when I woke up this morning I was hoping to read that he finished 2nd or 3rd so I could say "I can dodge bracelets, baby!"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, that woulda been good, i chuckled. nh anyway.

vanwely
07-26-2006, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even know how to spell Poquer.

eclinchy
07-26-2006, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember when Annie Duke won a bracelet? It was in limit O8, which they obviously don't air on ESPN. So they brought the skeleton crew, took some shots, and threw them into the women's event broadcast.

They'll probably do the same type of thing here. They'll find an event where someone with a Hellmuth connection plays (either a 10-timer like Brunson or Chan, or a rival like Matusow or Dannenmann), and they'll throw in some Hellmuth coverage on the side.

jively
07-26-2006, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN had a skeleton crew on hand to film it, according to CardPlayer. How coverages of last night's FT (with the skeleton crew) manifests itself on ESPN is a question not many here can answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
We can guess, based on recent years. I would say that when they are covering some other tournament, they will go out to the final table, and show 3 or 4 hands. They will probably show at least 2 of the heads-up hands, the set flush boat hand, and the final hand. They will probably show the smiles and the bracelet, and hopefully a few words from PH.

-Tom

csquard
07-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Not sure if it would be possible to get this. Here's a somewhat different yet related stat: John Juanda made the final table in 18 of his first 22 WSOP cashes.

jdblacknines
07-26-2006, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember when Annie Duke won a bracelet? It was in limit O8, which they obviously don't air on ESPN. So they brought the skeleton crew, took some shots, and threw them into the women's event broadcast.

They'll probably do the same type of thing here. They'll find an event where someone with a Hellmuth connection plays (either a 10-timer like Brunson or Chan, or a rival like Matusow or Dannenmann), and they'll throw in some Hellmuth coverage on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are exactly correct. This will air as part of one of the other shows. They can't not show PH taking down #10.

Filet O' Fish
07-27-2006, 02:09 AM
The winning hand for Hellmuth was AJ. It would have been so much funnier if it was KJ not suited...

whodaman
07-27-2006, 09:26 AM
everyone in this thread praising phils play is a fool.

He was open limping j2s on the button 4 handed (and than not betting something like a 344 rainbow flop, min betting a turned jack and barely betting the river), Minraising half his raises, and making it 6.5xBB to go with his good hands.

WSOPChump
07-27-2006, 09:42 AM
i dont see why he has to bet a 344 rainbow flop.
the other players are not stupid they wont beleive phil has some of that flop.
phil is not so stupid as to bet big with his good hands and bet little with crappy ones. if he is doing it, he most likely will mix it up at a key spot (make a big raise with crap).

willie
07-27-2006, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if it would be possible to get this. Here's a somewhat different yet related stat: John Juanda made the final table in 18 of his first 22 WSOP cashes.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow....is that true?

ohkanada
07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
One doesn't need to agree with every play Phil makes. The bottomline is he has cashed 6 times this year, made 3 final tables and won 1 event and lost another headsup. Other than Madsen and maybe Chen he has been the most impressive player in the WSOP.

Ken

True North
07-27-2006, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow....is that true?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but it's a lot easier to cash without making a final table now than it was six or seven years ago when Juanda started playing. Back then, most tournaments would only pay two or three tables at most.

whipsaw
07-27-2006, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow....is that true?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's close. Juanda's start at the WSOP is impressive. Here's his first 17 cashes, 15 FTs-

1999 LHE 9th
1999 LHE 7th
2001 S8 3rd
2001 PLH 7th
2002 PLH 8th
2002 S8 8th
2002 LHE 5th (shootout)
2002 A-5 TD 1st
2003 S8 12th
2003 PLH 10th
2003 S8 1st
2003 PLO 7th
2003 PLO 1st
2004 NLH 2nd
2004 NLH 5th (shootout)
2004 Stud 6th
2004 Razz 5th

Simply amazing.

jimpo
07-27-2006, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
everyone in this thread praising phils play is a fool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, he must be playing like a donk, he only won a bracelet + 5 other cashes this WSOP so far. Give the man a goddamn break - he is fun to bash but maybe a couple of days of not bashing Phil would not be so bad in this situation.

mlagoo
07-27-2006, 11:20 AM
more like phil smellmuth

daryn
07-27-2006, 04:05 PM
i got the best of him i thought

Bodizapha
07-27-2006, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not a big fan of his, but he's some Hold 'em player. There is no denying that.

flyty86
07-27-2006, 05:03 PM
you guys are retarded. he has the same # of bracelets as doyle drunson and doyle's been playing for 20-30 years longer. phil helmuth also has the record for the most cashes in the wsop.