PDA

View Full Version : Othmer book "Elements of Seven Card Stud"

mshalen
01-01-2006, 09:51 AM
There are very few stud books and even fewer worth reading so when I see one that I am unfamiliar with my ears perk up. This book is referenced in Psychology of Poker by Dr. Schoonmaker. Dr. Al calls it "An outstanding book". I have not seen this book referenced anywhere else.

Gamblers Book Shop lists a 1996 edition for $25. Amazon has nothing listed so I assume it is either out of print of self published.

Is anyone familiar with this book? Yes I checked both the FAQ and used the "search" and couldn't find anything. This book seems to be so obscure that I ruled out the book forum as the best place for this post. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmyjohn
01-01-2006, 12:23 PM
got a new name somewhere along the way......

http://www.poker-uk.com/resources.php

Seven Card Stud Poker
by K.Othmer - 1996

Originally titled The Elements of Seven Card Stud, this revised and expanded edition contains two new chapters which is approximately one-third new material. This unique volume uses charts and clear explanations to show the anatomy of seven stud hands. The two new chapters in this work concentrate on how the player should choose and portray an image, and the psychology section from the first edition is now a chapter on reading opponents. Chapters including Basics; How to Play Pairs and Trips; Flushes; Straights; Analyzing Betting Behavior; Identifying Betting Patterns. Many charts and tables using illustrative graphs. Lots of good mathematical material and the graphs will help explain when certain hands are favorites or underdogs vs. opponents in a variety of situations. 258 pages, paperbound.

dandy_don
01-01-2006, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This book is referenced in Psychology of Poker by Dr. Schoonmaker. Dr. Al calls it "An outstanding book". I have not seen this book referenced anywhere else.

Gamblers Book Shop lists a 1996 edition for $25. Amazon has nothing listed so I assume it is either out of print of self published.

Is anyone familiar with this book?

[/ QUOTE ]

My copy is titled "Seven Card Stud Poker" by Konstantin Othmer and says it's formerly titled "The Elements of Seven Card Stud". I had to order it from the same place; couldn't find it in the usual places.

It's more of a mathematical stud book with lots of charts and graphs explaining each. An example, page 25 shows a graph the reflects the strength of the various starting hands in stud in terms of Percent Return vs. the number of opponents using the following hands of Qs9s5s vs. 8h9cTh vs. KsKc2h vs 5s6s7s. It's interesting to see how the hands vary in strength vs. the number of opponents in the hand.

Chapter 3 is titled "Pairs and Trip". In this chapter, it takes you from 3rd street to 7th street showing the mathematical logic behind the proper call, i.e. chances for improvement if your split J's are unimproved on 5th, etc. Chapter 4 does the same with Flushes and Flush draws and Chapter 5 with Straights and straight draws.

I bought this book when Doctavian (aka Doc AZ) recommended it this past summer ( LINK (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2786106&an=&page=&vc=1)) . It would also be a good book to add to the forum reading list, after 7CSFAP and the Hi-Lo Split book.

dandy

Andy B
01-01-2006, 01:53 PM
I have attempted to read this book a couple of times and have failed. It has a lot of charts and numbers and things and it's not at all fun. I may return to it at some point, but poker books are coming out faster than I can read them these days (this was not the case just a couple of years ago), so I don't know when that will be.

preiserone
01-01-2006, 06:05 PM
It is a tough read but it has some great information. It is set up sort of as a reference book so you can go back and analize hands later on. It's def worth picking up IMO.