PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried

AJFenix
07-20-2006, 02:15 PM
I currently live in Oklahoma (I am not from here). I am in a 40000 pop. town/city (big for local standards, I mean it DOES have a super wal-mart!). I currently attend college as a full time student, although this will probably be my last semester. I don't talk much about the fact that I play poker, as I think keeping a low profile is fairly important in my situation. However, unfortunately somehow the information got out and it seems a lot of people are aware of what it is I do and while they don't know how much money it is I make, they think its a lot. I mean, one of my college professors and my counselor both seemed well aware and were curious as to how much I make. While its cool that people think I am really ballin' it up (which I don't really think is the case quite yet), it leaves me feeling uncomfortable.

I just wonder if I should be worried that somehow the wrong person is somehow going to be informed and I can get in some kind of trouble for what it is I do. I mean, I do not feel like I can comfortably label myself as a poker player given the legal situation in the U.S. as far as gambling. I am not a U.S. citizen, and I plan on moving out at the end of this year, but while I am here, should I have any reason to be worried?

Snafu'd
07-20-2006, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
should I have any reason to be worried?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't think so. I'm sure the government/authorities/anyone with a television or computer is aware that there are lots of people out there making significant money from playing online poker and I haven't heard of anyone being arrested for it.

cowboy.up
07-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Do you pay your taxes on your winnings? I feel like the feds can't really take it to the individual citizens that are paying taxes on their earnings, as I can imagine there are a lot of people in government that even play online poker. As I said, if you pay your taxes I feel like there shouldn't be anything to worry about now, or in the future, but what do I know.

Tk79
07-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Should you have a problem I think all you need to do is admit you are a poker player, repent, and give them some names of other possible poker players. Isnt that kind of how it worked in the 50s?

Starfish
07-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Just tell them, you are trying to loose as little as possible, and smile. And DON'T pay anything to IRS. Enjoy your money after you leave the country, don't transfer anything to USA. I repeat: don't pay anything to IRS.

cowboy.up
07-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Sorry - Didn't read that you are not an American citizen. In that case, screw the taxes.

Blowup Doll
07-20-2006, 02:55 PM
You might want to find out if local ordinances outlaw gambling/poker. OK is a pretty conservative state.

smoove
07-20-2006, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And DON'T pay anything to IRS. Enjoy your money after you leave the country, don't transfer anything to USA. I repeat: don't pay anything to IRS.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, perhaps you should take a look at this (http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/index.html) before making any decisions regarding your taxes.