PDA

View Full Version : God's heart

godBoy
01-01-2006, 07:23 AM
First off, I'm sure the title alone will be enough to set people off and get all heated, let me know if this is not the place for such a discussion.

I have found that so many people are unwilling to turn to God for answers. When did each one make God in their life their judge? I think that this is the key to why people get so uncomfortable when religion is discussed.

THe new testament reveals a God who is passionately in love with us, and is 'Abba Father', not a mean kid on an ant hill with a magnifying glass trying to burn off our feelers and watch us sqirm.

The Father revealled in the bible is the God of love, we were created to enjoy fellowship with him and to become children of God(part of his famliy). We were born to be a part of community and to learn to love.
If we are born to become part of his family why is that in people's hearts we feel like God hates us?
The first example of this is in genesis when adam and eve hide from God, God calls out looking for his children, they are afraid, they heard his footsteps and hid.

The god of love is not our judge, the father took off his judging gear and just wants to help us, like a father wants to help his child.

I think it's this attitude of the heart that is a very real barrier to people finding truth that will save them.
We must become vullnerable and child-like as Jesus said to recieve God, he is our father and loves us passionately.

Bork
01-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Very loving of him to toss people into eternal fire for not accepting Jesus as their savior.

Phil153
01-01-2006, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
THe new testament reveals a God who is passionately in love with us, and is 'Abba Father', not a mean kid on an ant hill with a magnifying glass trying to burn off our feelers and watch us sqirm...
The Father revealled in the bible is the God of love

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the problem Godboy:

For your interpretation to be correct, two conditions must be met:

1. You must acknowledge that the Old Testament is complete and utter lies - none of it ever happened
2. You must acknowledge that Jesus has been misquoted when he referred to the Old Testament and writings of the prophets.

Martin
01-01-2006, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
THe new testament reveals a God who is passionately in love with us, and is 'Abba Father', not a mean kid on an ant hill with a magnifying glass trying to burn off our feelers and watch us sqirm...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
For your interpretation to be correct, two conditions must be met:

1. You must acknowledge that the Old Testament is complete and utter lies - none of it ever happened
2. You must acknowledge that Jesus has been misquoted when he referred to the Old Testament and writings of the prophets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Godboy check out: Evil Bible (http://www.evilbible.com/) specifically the section Jesus lied.
I'm sure you and the site's author would have some interesting arguments.

Pauwl
01-01-2006, 06:47 PM
This sounds like evangelizing to me. You aren't really starting a discussion. You're just saying that the Christian God is a god of love and that we need to find truth and be saved. I would appreciate it if you didn't start new threads like this one, they don't really spawn a discussion and will likely just get you negative feedback and/or insults.

godBoy
01-01-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't see why.
God decided to made a new covenant to man.

godBoy
01-01-2006, 07:48 PM
It's impossible for someone to believe in that prayer so it can't be asked with the faith it requires.
God always answers prayers but sometimes the answer is no, God is not my magic genie.

godBoy
01-01-2006, 07:52 PM
This is reason I was writing...

People have very strong feelings and emotions when religion or personal beliefs are discussed. Why do people form such strong opinions of God? This is at the core of my question.

Some have utter contempt for Him, "this monstrosity you believe in" and the like...

Could it be for the same reason people are so uncomfortable in court rooms, because they know they are about to be judged and their fate is in the hands of another?
If so, the God reavealled in the new testament is very different to this God they have formed an opinion of from false information.

godBoy
01-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, I don't think that God tosses people into eternal fire... This is not an act of harsh cruelty as is seen.
Hell is complete seperation from God, I am not trying to diminish hells torment, it should be feared.

The reason people face judgement on earth is because of a rule book. God has a rule book too.

I heard a very good analogy to explain this.
My son was caught with alcohol at school and according to the rule book he had to be expelled, I was furious with these pack of judges who were condemning my son. To me as the boys father though, all I was wanting was someone to help this boy get through life succesfully.

This is the same reason Jesus came and stood in our place, he chose to die that way because there was no other way to help his children.

God's character is very loving, yes.

godBoy
01-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Time is not enough for me to continue posting, to the applause of many i'm sure.
I am off to worship God now.
To the agnostic's out there, I truly hope you continue your search for truth and find peace. Life without God is meaningless. Give different churches a go, and find your maker, don't seek what you already know but look to creation and you'll make it.
I have responsibilities that I cannot meet at the same time as meeting the demands of this forum, like reading all of the threads ever posted on a topic before asking a question.
It has been very interesting hearing the thoughts of many of you, so thanks for your time.

I'll look back at this thread and see people's ridicule i'm sure...

GodBoy out!

Borodog
01-01-2006, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Life without God is meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't.

bocablkr
01-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Please learn how to use the quote function.

I am glad to see your god of love was so fond of the 200,000 people who died in the Tsunami. Many innocent infants and children. Sorry if I can't buy the product you are peddling.

Bigdaddydvo
01-02-2006, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please learn how to use the quote function.

I am glad to see your god of love was so fond of the 200,000 people who died in the Tsunami. Many innocent infants and children. Sorry if I can't buy the product you are peddling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ was also perfectly innocent, yet was condemned to die a wretched and torturous death on the Cross. It was by this action that we are redeemed.

All of us are called to suffer and to carry our own crosses. Those who died tragically in the tsunami are no exception.

MidGe
01-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Hiya bigdaddydvo,

Happy new year dude,

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ was also perfectly innocent, yet was condemned to die a wretched and torturous death on the Cross. It was by this action that we are redeemed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree the crucifixion was an awful, terrible, cruel treatment. Some later development of those cruel treatments like burning at the stake for heresy etc.. are probably not so far off in cruelty, by the way, but the point that gets me is that somehow you think we "need" to be redeemed. On investigating this further, it seems we may still be paying for Adam and Eve's sin! Some justice imo!
[ QUOTE ]
All of us are called to suffer and to carry our own crosses. Those who died tragically in the tsunami are no exception.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is all very well designed... I mean not having to carry crosses would be asking to much from an omnipotent designer, I guess? He would not condescend to it, it would not show his omnipotent cability, that is to do good AND evil! Is that it?

Ah well, seems like more of the same. God of love??? Pure doubletalk as Orwell would say, replace one descriptor by its opposite and you solve all the problems. LOL.

Martin
01-02-2006, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could it be for the same reason people are so uncomfortable in court rooms, because they know they are about to be judged and their fate is in the hands of another?

[/ QUOTE ]

More like they are scared stupid by the forces that the court represents, the fact that they will be poorly defended and judged unfairly for some minor crime and finally sentenced to a punishment that is so far out of proportion to the actual crime it's frightening.

But then again the similarity between organised religion and government/legal systems should not be lost upon anyone. Especially since religion had been widely used as a tool of social control throughout history.

If the creator of the universe really is a God of love how come all the dire punishments for petty crimes? Surely this was just another method for the authorities to control the people of the biblical times. By telling them it was "God's will" they made certain of no rebellion against laws that would otherwise have been thought of as unjust.