PDA

View Full Version : recommend me some good dinner places

bwana devil
07-18-2006, 04:22 PM
please recommend good dinner (and lunch) places while in vegas. id like a variety of different prices but nothing too extravagent. one thing i dont want are long lines and crowds. i think we're all going to be dealing w/ those enough as it is.

so if you know of any good $5 sandwich shops or any $25 gotta-stop-there entree restaurants tell me about them and why i should stop there. and tell us what price range to expect.

bwana

TruePoker CEO
07-18-2006, 04:38 PM
these may be out of date, but ...

Capriotti for sandwiches .... about $7.50 for a pretty huge sandwich I think. I recommend the Bobby if you missed Thanksgiving.

Lotus of Siam - Thai lunch
Gordon Biersch - burgers and beer

Charlie Palmers - steaks, very expensive but top of the line

BluffBlank
07-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I really enjoyed the Harley Davidson Cafe last time I was in Vegas. Reasonably priced, and decent food with good portions. Some interesting memorabilia around if you're into motorcycles at all too.

AtlasRaised
07-18-2006, 05:33 PM
I live here so I could go on forever....

for sandwiches hit up Capriotti's - there is one near Maryland Parkway X Tropicana, and some others all over town. Jason's Deli is also good for sandwiches. One on Maryland X Twain.

Also if you aren't from Cali and you've never had In N Out Burger...well...you haven't lived.

As far as good entrees close to the WSOP, the steakhouse at the Rio is great. Thanks to some generous blackjack comps, some fellow 2+2ers and I had a great free meal there.

Also close by is Hamada for good sushi/Japanese, Bahama Breeze is a good spot, McCormick and Shmitds for seafood, and Cozymel is a good Mexican place. These are all off of Flamingo in the business plaza near Paradise.

My favorite spots in town are all pretty much above the $25 limit...but if you can splurge, try Nine at the Palms, Simon at the Hard Rock, and the ultimate ultimate greatest meal of your life is Alex at the Wynn.

need more? I got em.

El Diablo
07-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Atlas,

"Also if you aren't from Cali and you've never had In N Out Burger...well...you haven't lived. "

That pretty much makes all your other recommendations suspect, since In N Out is basically just a decently good fast food burger, much better than McD's/BK/etc, but as far as burgers go nothing special at all.

shaniac
07-18-2006, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Atlas,

"Also if you aren't from Cali and you've never had In N Out Burger...well...you haven't lived. "

That pretty much makes all your other recommendations suspect, since In N Out is basically just a decently good fast food burger, much better than McD's/BK/etc, but as far as burgers go nothing special at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

Sorry for the hijack, but why does everyone in California pretend that In-N-Out is like haute cuisine or something? Is it an inside joke? After a year of Cali living, I still don't get it.

bestcellar
07-18-2006, 05:56 PM
definitely second Capriotti's and Lotus of Siam, especially for dinner.

El Diablo
07-18-2006, 05:56 PM
shane,

It is really weird, I don't get it either.

The Ocho
07-18-2006, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atlas,

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

Sorry for the hijack, but why does everyone in California pretend that In-N-Out is like haute cuisine or something? Is it an inside joke? After a year of Cali living, I still don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm in the same boat. my conclusion is that people from southern california are idiots.

Moneyline
07-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Where are you staying approximately?

If you're east of the strip and just want a sandwich, Jason's Deli is better and cheaper than anyplace I know on the strip. It's in a strip mall on Maryland Blvd. just north of Flamingo.

Lotus of Siam was rated by some critic(s) as the best Thai restaurant in North America. I think that's a vast overstatement, but the food is pretty good and the price is very reasonable. It's located in a really seedy square called "Commercial Center" east of the strip between Sahara and Karen.

On the strip I'm a big fan of Taqueria Canonita in the Venetian. It's high quality Mexican food, and while it isn't dirt cheap it's a whole lot cheaper than what a comparable meal will cost you at other strip restaurants.

If you feel like spending, there are many, many high quality/high price restaurants on the strip.

bwana devil
07-18-2006, 06:52 PM
capriotti sounds like it is getting good reviews. sounds like ill be there.

and although it hasnt been brought up, i believe everyone always raves about some steak joint in Circus Circus if im not mistaken.

im staying at Treasure Island btw. thanks for all of the recommendations so far. good ideas for me to keep in mind.

and it's nice to see people from a state other than texas are getting a bad rap for once.

oreopimp
07-18-2006, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Atlas,

[/ QUOTE ]

that place near the aladdin, in the mall, I think it used to be called Cheeseburger in Paradise (its something similiar now)...has killer burgers.

pig4bill
07-19-2006, 03:55 AM
I think the room service at Treasure Island is good enough not to make it worthwhile walking a half hour to and from the parking lot and fighting Vegas traffic.

attogcinc
07-19-2006, 04:42 AM
I personally really like Little Budha inside the Palms. It can get pricey, but the Chilean Sea Bass is AMAZING. I think it goes for about $22.

Spook
07-19-2006, 07:39 AM
For tapas, Firefly on Paradise is great. Very good sliders and above average paella.

TruePoker CEO
07-19-2006, 11:56 AM
All good choices, except I strongly disagree about Simon's. If you are going to the Hard Rock, try Nobu for dinner.

MCS
07-19-2006, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoyed the Harley Davidson Cafe last time I was in Vegas. Reasonably priced, and decent food with good portions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. Three of us went for lunch and got the big sampler platter plus one other entree. It would up being like $15 a person, and it was a lot of good meat. Definitely a sleeper pick.

Lotus of Siam for lunch.

Delmonico if you feel like dropping a bunch of cash on a great meal.

Beachman42
07-19-2006, 01:46 PM
I just got back & have 2:

1. Get your feedbag on at the Paris buffet - $25 for the best buffet food I've had.

2. When you cash, go to the Eiffel Tower restaurant for the bone-in ribeye. Great view of the Bellagio fountains, excellent wine list, but $$ dinero. We dropped $450 on dinner for 3.

bwana devil
07-19-2006, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. Get your feedbag on at the Paris buffet - $25 for the best buffet food I've had.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive been to the paris buffet a few times and it is so dammmmmn good. problem is the line is so freakin long i dont want to wait to get in.

(although one time i stayed in paris as a VIP on penthouse floor and got to cut the line. it was hella sweet all around. /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Beachman42
07-19-2006, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive been to the paris buffet a few times and it is so dammmmmn good. problem is the line is so freakin long i dont want to wait to get in.

(although one time i stayed in paris as a VIP on penthouse floor and got to cut the line. it was hella sweet all around. /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

We got there at 6:30 on a Monday and walked right up, no waiting. Maybe we just got lucky, but it seems like most people eat dinner pretty late there.

raptor517
07-19-2006, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atlas,

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate hamburgers. they smell bad. holla

AtlasRaised
07-19-2006, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Atlas,

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm...no. not just "decently good," IMHO, by far the best fast food burger.

If you want a "quality" burger, the best in town is at the Burger Bar at Mandalay Place (shopping center attached to Mandalay Bay). This is a gourmet burger joint that is a bit hyped up and overpriced but still a DAMN good burger.

In fact, one night after a win at the Bellagio Sunday MTT, some friends (that also cashed) and I went to the Burger Bar for a celebration meal and had a bottle of Dom with a $70 dollar burger....yes, $70. Kobe beef topped with lobster tail, asparagus and some foie gras. Unreal.

gotta love Vegas.

arsoisaen
07-19-2006, 04:34 PM
i second burgerbar, didn't feel like spending that much but i had 2x japaleno bacon 2x carmelized onions on kobe, was ridiculously good

lotus of siam i went at night, disappointment i think, especially because it was being hyped as the greatest thai in NA...however its still pretty good

El Diablo
07-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Atlas,

It's still just a fast-food burger, man, nothing to make a big deal over.

PokrLikeItsProse
07-19-2006, 07:32 PM
The Chinese restaurant in the Gold Coast across the street from the Rio has a good dim sum menu. Not open from breakfast (or lunch) though, but open until 3am (I think).

My favorite place in Vegas to binge is the all-you-eat sushi at Todai at the Aladdin. Instant seating if you go there in the last hour or so. I know there are cheaper sushi alternatives off the strip.

Eder
07-19-2006, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Atlas,

It's still just a fast-food burger, man, nothing to make a big deal over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree....the very best examples of any dish is hardly fast food

El Diablo
07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Eder,

Now you're just being ridiculous if you're claiming In-n-Out is anything but a fast-food burger.

As for the OP, I am a big fan of Mr. Lucky's (24-hr diner) and The Pink Taco (Mexican, duh) at the Hard Rock. They are both really cheap and there are always lots of hot chicks around. I am also a big fan of Nobu at the Hard Rock, which not cheap, in the $100/per range.

Eder
07-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Sorry I thought you were refering to Burgerbar @ MB ... yes In n Out is just fast food.