PDA

View Full Version : Easiest/cheapest ways to get to the Rio from the airport?

DJE
07-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi,

Staying at the Rio, flying in very late Thursday night the 27th and I don't plan on renting a car.

I am assuming that a cab will be the quickest/easiest way to get to the Rio, especially with luggage, but I was wondering if there was any kind of monorails or hotel shuttles or anything that might be a bit cheaper.

Also, about how much should a cab ride from the airport to the Rio cost anyway? Don't want to get assjacked on the price.

Thanks for any info...

Sadat X
07-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Cab fare should be about $25.

The monorail goes up and down the strip, it's not an option from the airport.

Some hotels have a shuttle that picks you up from the airport and takes you to the hotel for free. You might wanna look into this.

MyTurn2Raise
07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
shuttle is about $10 and should get you there within an hour.

IF you have multiple people, cabbing is the way to go.

bwana devil
07-18-2006, 04:08 PM
how long would it take and/or how efficient would it be to take the monorail to TI?

edit: i see it looks like a looong hike from the rail to TI. it drops off behind the Harrahs? take a cab from there or hike it w/ a bag?

the monorail only costs $3 right?

drewjustdrew
07-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Ask the cabbie to take you through town instead of the expressway, and it should save you a few bucks. The expressway loops you around for about $5 extra dollars at minimal time savings.

stikit2u
07-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Even with bad traffic it shouldn't take more then 20 minutes.

MyTurn2Raise
07-18-2006, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even with bad traffic it shouldn't take more then 20 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was including wait time for the shuttle to get a full load and in case you are the last stop

TruePoker CEO
07-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Forget it. Don't even try.

Spring for a cab or prepare to waste an hour of your life.

TruePoker CEO
07-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Find a Red Cap, pay him $5.00 to handle your bag, however small.

What you are going to get is a way to skip to the front of the cabs line, which can run up to an hour.

52s
07-18-2006, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Find a Red Cap, pay him $5.00 to handle your bag, however small.

What you are going to get is a way to skip to the front of the cabs line, which can run up to an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

mlagoo
07-18-2006, 04:49 PM
good tip, i will try that out. $5 is enough?

drewjustdrew
07-18-2006, 04:50 PM
If by "very late" on thursday, you mean 9 or 10, the cab line usually isn't that bad in my experience. It was non-existent at 9 on a thursday night two weeks ago.

52s
07-18-2006, 04:52 PM
$5 is enough.

As the next poster said, if it's real late at night, check the line first.

During the day, guarantee its an hour wait, so go straight for the red cap.

TruePoker CEO
07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Should be, especially if all you have is a carry-on bag.

droopy0021
07-18-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm one who appreciates a good deal or savings. Some even call me tight (not cheap). I like to goto Vegas.

That being said, I don't see how you can justify spending 1+ hours on a milk run shuttle instead of a 10 minute cab ride for another $15 or so.

I'm assuming you're going out to gamble and $15 probably shouldn't be that big a deal and will save you some headaches and definitely time.

To save, maybe ask if anyone in the cab line is going to the Rio as well and you instantly cut your costs in half if they'll cab share.

DJE
07-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, sounds like I'll definitely cab it, $25 I can handle, didn't realize the airport was that close.

Car Service to/from the airports by me is in the neighborhood of $60-75 so thats why I was just curious if there might be any cheaper alternatives in Vegas that weren't a hassle. My flight doesn't land until like 10 or 11 so I am certainly not going to get to bed an hour later just to save 15 bucks.

bav
07-18-2006, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$5 is enough.

As the next poster said, if it's real late at night, check the line first.

During the day, guarantee its an hour wait, so go straight for the red cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Day of week matters enormously, too. I always fly outta here on Friday or Saturday, and come back on Sunday/Monday, basically the opposite of the normal Vegas flow (though I also check for giant conferences scheduled to start Monday before I do a Sunday return flight). Never had to wait more than about 10 or 15 minutes for a cab.

pig4bill
07-19-2006, 04:02 AM
You can get a chauferred Town Car for 40 bucks with no wait instead of waiting in line 30 minutes for a cab with a rude driver, or riding a shuttle. Town Car or limo is also flat rate so you needn't worry about getting run around.

If you take a cab, the key phrase is "Don't go through the tunnel" or else you'll head for the freeway.

HammerinHank
07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Taxi regulations require the driver to ask you if you want to take the tunnel/highway. If he doesn't ask you and he takes the tunnel anyway you do not have to pay for the trip.

Just wait until you get to the hotel and then say you are not paying because he took the tunnel. He will bitch and moan and try to get you to pay something but just walk away. He can't do anything and the hotel staff knows the deal and will back you up.

Also the ride should be $12-15.

bwana devil
07-19-2006, 01:16 PM
i called Treasure Island yesterday asked them how much it would cost for taxi.

i was told that they couldnt tell me because some taxis charge by the mile and some charge by time. the girl i spoke w/ sounded new and kept having to put me on hold everytime i asked her a question. she wouldnt even give me a price range.

innerpeace
07-19-2006, 03:45 PM
airport limousine shuttle service is $4.50 one way and rio is usually one of the first stops. note that this shuttle is not next to where the other shuttles are, but you need to go around the corner (you can also get there by exiting from the doors next to baggage claim 16). can be a bit of a wait - maybe 20-30 minutes if they wait for shuttle to fill up, so you might want to consider a cab which will cost approx $25, but sometimes cab lines can be long too.