PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Germ Control

Dadswell
07-18-2006, 03:11 AM
So what precautions are you using to limit your chances of catching a cold/etc? I already have hand sanitizer, etc. I was thinking of taking something like that airborne or whatever, anyone have any experience with it?

Ignignokt
07-18-2006, 03:15 AM
Howie Mandel recommends latex gloves.

edfurlong
07-18-2006, 03:22 AM
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1686/bubbleboy11py5.jpg

pineapple888
07-18-2006, 03:26 AM
WTF?

Don't touch your hands to your mouth or nose.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Don't hire any obviously sick hookers. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That's about it, the main tournament room is big and seems well-ventilated, risk is pretty minimal otherwise.

BigPoppa
07-18-2006, 09:09 AM
I have a hacking cough, and the antibiotics haven't made it go away.

Enjoy

bwana devil
07-18-2006, 10:14 AM
i dont plan on winning any pots so i dont have touch anyone else's chips.

[edit: ok i fess up. ill probably bring some hand sanitizer. im a germ phobe and hate the thought of people taking dumps, not washing their hands and then i have to touch their chips.]

otnemem
07-18-2006, 10:57 AM
I've written a number of e-mails to the WSOP people suggesting mandatory HIV tests for all players. In order to play, all players will be required to submit a negative test report to dealers with their tournament ticket stub.

renodoc
07-18-2006, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1686/bubbleboy11py5.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

This would guarantee a bubble finish.

RevAgain
07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Freak

FeliciaLee
07-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Come on you guys. The OP obviously asked the question because he was concerned. He might be having an immune system deficiency, like diabetes or cancer. I've been there, and it helps to get some imput on particular environments. Rio, for instance, might be a bit safer than playing an event at Sahara in their old cardroom.

Try Airborne and Zicam. Wash your hands often. Don't eat with your hands. Don't touch your face with your hands. Drink plenty of water (you may have trouble with service, so keep a bottle with you and refill it at the coolers in the room and hallways). Cup your hand over your mouth and nose while walking through all of the smoke. Wear a sweatshirt (it's cold in Amazon). Never use the same tissue twice. Keep your fingernails short.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TruePoker CEO
07-18-2006, 02:27 PM
How you use them is up to you.

(Seriously, though, how do you handle it in live games at home ? Just do the same things and you will not have any added worry or stress.)

ohkanada
07-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Read this:

http://www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com/health.htm

Ken

Ignignokt
07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on you guys. The OP obviously asked the question because he was concerned. He might be having an immune system deficiency, like diabetes or cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought about that. Decided that if so, he'd have spoken to his doctor instead of random internet people. Made joke. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, latex gloves are cheaper than Airborne, as well as more likely to actually work. Howie Mandel is a noted germophobe and he used 'em on CPS.

TruePoker CEO
07-18-2006, 05:02 PM
... did he put them over his head and blow them up ?

CardSharpCook
07-18-2006, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've written a number of e-mails to the WSOP people suggesting mandatory HIV tests for all players. In order to play, all players will be required to submit a negative test report to dealers with their tournament ticket stub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke?

Lawman007
07-18-2006, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

My sarcasm meter is on the fritz, but even without it I can tell that this is a joke.

CardSharpCook
07-18-2006, 06:19 PM
yeah, you're right. I'm a fool.

jjigglers
07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on you guys. The OP obviously asked the question because he was concerned. He might be having an immune system deficiency, like diabetes or cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought about that. Decided that if so, he'd have spoken to his doctor instead of random internet people. Made joke. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, latex gloves are cheaper than Airborne, as well as more likely to actually work. Howie Mandel is a noted germophobe and he used 'em on CPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice higher level thinking. Only on 2+2.

FoxVR6
07-18-2006, 08:14 PM
I've only been to Vegas twice, but both times I got sick while there. The first time was just a mild cold, but the second time I caught the flu. It was a nasty flu too, I slept for 35 hours straight, only waking up to take my temperature. Peak temperature, 103. The next time I go, I'm taking Zicam for the whole trip, even though it was likely just variance.

Ignignokt
07-18-2006, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... did he put them over his head and blow them up ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Only on his hands. (sigh)

He didn't do the little kid voice either.

wisehandpoker
07-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Tami says you're all ignorant

sketchy1
07-18-2006, 09:01 PM
i have to admit i am still not sure if you're serious or not. if you are serious, you need to read a little about HIV before you make such ridiculous statements.

Howard Treesong
07-18-2006, 11:26 PM
I've been to Vegas maybe fifty times, and have gotten sick afterwards perhaps ten times: the combination of little sleep, air travel, and drier air than I'm used to gives me sinus infections. The last one was bad: I had to go out on a work trip, came down with a similar fever and spent two days in Connecticut hallucinating that I was a sphere. Mrs. T was within a hairs' breadth of getting on a plane to come rescue me.

Wash hands often. Don't touch mouth or eyes, or pick nose. Keep hydrated. Try to get sufficient rest. I think Zicam is nothing but a placebo, but [censored], I'm the guy that gets sick twenty per cent of the time I visit Vegas.

Botchman
07-19-2006, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
spent two days in Connecticut hallucinating that I was a sphere.

[/ QUOTE ]
Free hullucagenic buzz sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

FeliciaLee
07-19-2006, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wash hands often. Don't touch mouth or eyes, or pick nose. Keep hydrated. Try to get sufficient rest. I think Zicam is nothing but a placebo, but [censored], I'm the guy that gets sick twenty per cent of the time I visit Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm like that at Commerce, but do okay in Vegas. Go figure! I'm not sure about the Airborne or Zicam thing, either, but I figure it can't hurt. Tons of zinc can't be all bad.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dinopoker
07-19-2006, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So what precautions are you using to limit your chances of catching a cold/etc? I already have hand sanitizer, etc. I was thinking of taking something like that airborne or whatever, anyone have any experience with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest issue isn't the germs people carry, but the condition of yourself. People often get sick after visiting Vegas for two reasons: 1) they get hardly any sleep and 2) they constantly walk from the desert heat into frigid air conditioning. Both of these will cause your body to get very run down and tired, which weakens your immune system.

So, to avoid getting sick in Vegas, get a lot of sleep, and eat fruits and vegetables for vitamins to keep your immune system stronger. Oh, and carry a sweater or jacket to deal with the air conditioning.

Unless you have some kind of condition that causes a weakened immune system, anything else is overkill.

StephanK
07-19-2006, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only been to Vegas twice, but both times I got sick while there. The first time was just a mild cold, but the second time I caught the flu. It was a nasty flu too, I slept for 35 hours straight, only waking up to take my temperature. Peak temperature, 103. The next time I go, I'm taking Zicam for the whole trip, even though it was likely just variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to vegas, and they lie. I met this chick, yada yada yada, and the burning didn't "stay in vegas" -ekoJ

ohkanada
07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
What I did my last trip was buy something called emergenC (sp?) that I buy at whole foods. Basically they are little packets of vitamins that you drop into a bottle or cup of water. They come in different flavors and I was taking 2 of them a day. I didn't get sick at all. I am going to do that for the main event and hopefully will have no issues.

Ken

TBZ
07-19-2006, 04:22 PM
The sickest thing I have ever seen at a poker table. Cash game, local card club. Guy is served a drink. Reaches over to his stack and picks up a $1 chip. Reaches over to hand it to the waitress and fumbles the chip. Chip drops right into the guys new drink. Donk picks up the drink and guzzles it down catching the chip between his teeth. Licks off the remaining liquid and offers it to the waitress who declines. Donk is like ……. “What?” Entire table is squirming in their seat hoping not to win the next pot this guys is in. Absolutely disgusting!