PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Antonio Esfandiari?

azaycriz
01-20-2006, 05:03 AM
I've read nothing but disdain for this man. Seems like people think he sucks for some reason and he's kind of like the butt of every joke. I don't know anything about him except seeing him on TV a couple of times, so I'm curious. If you have an opinion on this man, what is it, and why do you feel this way?

Of course, I could be totally off on my read that there is any consensus at all about him among the poker community. If that's the case, sorry and nevermind.

Aceshigh7
01-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Your perception is pretty much accurate. Alot of people on the internet like to ridicule his image, his website, and his articles. It's all spitefulness and jealousy. I think it only makes those posters that think it's cool to make fun of him look bad.

Cumulonimbus
01-20-2006, 05:27 AM
Tony really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

whiskeytown
01-20-2006, 05:31 AM
I've already stated my position on this, but it was in the Annie Duke thread...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=4493922

RB

gilbert
01-20-2006, 05:39 AM
rocks and rings bitch.

seriously though, he is 1.4.

azaycriz
01-20-2006, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In that article there's a picture of Duke with the guy she's currently dating, Joe Reitman. I thought he looked familiar, like an actor or something, so I checked IMDB. It's Shannon Elizabeth's ex-husband.

What a downgrade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

funny, when I heard Shannon Elizabeth hooked up with Antonio "the Magician" Estafardi, I thought EXACTLY the same thing.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean a downgrade for Shannon Elizabeth. Still not sure why?

[ QUOTE ]
Your perception is pretty much accurate. Alot of people on the internet like to ridicule his image, his website, and his articles. It's all spitefulness and jealousy. I think it only makes those posters that think it's cool to make fun of him look bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

So image aside (personally, I'd feel stupid doing the hand wave thing myself), is he generally respected for his poker skills among the poker elite?

azaycriz
01-20-2006, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
rocks and rings bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

whooooooooshhhh!

way over my head.

whiskeytown
01-20-2006, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my opinion of Antonio is such that I would consider any woman who leaves a guy and hooks up with him is downgrading.

If she leaves a convicted felon, she's just making an even money trade -

RB

azaycriz
01-20-2006, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anytime a woman hooks up with such an obvious wanna-be player, esp of the poker kind, she's downgrading.

[/ QUOTE ]
So since I would love to have relations with Shannon Elizabeth, does that make me a wanna-be wanna-be player? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

whiskeytown
01-20-2006, 06:02 AM
not until you write two or three articles for poker publications describing how pimp you are.

The man is so full of himself it's a wonder his ego doesn't break thru the floor when he walks upstairs - it must weigh about a ton.

RB

azaycriz
01-20-2006, 06:42 AM
links? I've never read anything the guy's written.

mackthefork
01-20-2006, 06:52 AM
He is repressing his sexuality, and whilst what he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our business, his constant talk of "betties" is a clear ruse to hide his obvious shining homosexuality. Now don't get me wrong that's nothing to be ashamed of it, so I ask, why is he so ashamed he has to put on this ludicrous "betties" act?

Mack

$DEADSEXE$
01-20-2006, 07:01 AM
AE's problem is that he like many other poker players have bought into this whole notion that they are in fact rock stars/cool. They can be placed in the same category as reality tv show stars...but the majority of reality TV show stars are aware of the fact that they are losers in real life and that their supposed fame and star status is somewhat of a joke.

stigmata
01-20-2006, 09:02 AM
azaycriz,

You need to understand this:

[ QUOTE ]
rocks and rings bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why he is such a tard, and provides me with such endless amusement. Just rootle around his website. Then all will become clear.

mackthefork
01-20-2006, 10:17 AM
He a playa no doubt, and his wave is well respected among the "betty" community.

Mack

GambleAB
01-20-2006, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

So image aside (personally, I'd feel stupid doing the hand wave thing myself), is he generally respected for his poker skills among the poker elite?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

pokerstudAA
01-20-2006, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
azaycriz,

You need to understand this:

[ QUOTE ]
rocks and rings bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why he is such a tard, and provides me with such endless amusement. Just rootle around his website. Then all will become clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key. Once you know what 1.4 is you too will understand.

MicroBob
01-20-2006, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've read nothing but disdain for this man. Seems like people think he sucks for some reason and he's kind of like the butt of every joke. I don't know anything about him except seeing him on TV a couple of times, so I'm curious. If you have an opinion on this man, what is it, and why do you feel this way?

Of course, I could be totally off on my read that there is any consensus at all about him among the poker community. If that's the case, sorry and nevermind.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wrote several articles (I think for bluff mag) expressing how cool he is. How awesome everyone thinks he is for skipping past the little peons outside the club and going right to his VIP table with bottle-service where all the lovely hotties are staring at hime because he knows how cool they think he is...so he does his little wave at them inside the posh club and they all giggle and want to be with him.

etc etc etc.

Someone can dig up all the various articles by him.

He semi-invented his own slang.
'Rocks and Rings' is popular.
When something is 'Soooooo 1.4' that means it's really good or cool. 1.4 million was how much he won in his WPT title so they use that number.

I am really torn as to how I feel about Antonio.
Is he just retardedly gay, a total dick, or a giant douche?

If you had a poll about him and those were the only options I would have a very difficult time voting.
I am initially leaning towards 'giant douche' but I might change my mind towards 'retardedly gay' upon further contemplation.

grdred944
01-20-2006, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a stretch on your part to write this off to spitefulness or jealousy. Antonio is a big boy and if he wants to come off as obnoxious and showing a total lack of class at the poker table, then I'm certain he is comfortable with these types of negative comments. As I type I am listening to Lyle Berman on Larry Grossman's radio show discuss how players used to win large pots and simply scoop them up -- not do the wave or call men twice their age, 'son.' That is the image Antonio has cultivated for himself.

Khabbi
01-20-2006, 11:56 AM
I thin in order to fully appreciate the disdain everyone has for this individual, nothing is better than reading his personal web site: http://www.magicantonio.com/

Nuf said... thread done.

JohnnyHumongous
01-20-2006, 12:44 PM
"Antonio actually sees money three different ways. There's money he spends on parties and friends, and this is money he spends insanely lavishly. Then there's "justice money," money that, no matter how large or small, has to give good value. "Justice money" is why you'll see Antonio cruising for a public parking space -- all night long if need be -- if he thinks what the private lots are charging is a gouge."

bahahahahahahahahahaha

deaders
01-20-2006, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But there’s more ways to mess with people’s heads than just dazzling them with bold bets or disappearing cards.

You can impress them with your style and sensibility.

-- As Antonio does every time he steps out with his posse, Rocks and Rings.

You can mesmerize the gals with your gaze.

-- Refuting the common wisdom that “hot chicks always wear the pants.”

If you’re Antonio Esfandiari, “messing with people’s heads” isn’t a strategy -- it’s a way of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Down here on the mortal level, we carry all kinds of people's expectations around with us. We're afraid to bust out early, squandering both our buy-in and our fragile, fearful egos. From Olympian heights, Antonio looks down and says, "Hey, right play is right play." That's why he's never afraid to make the right move at the right time, even if that time is the first ten minutes of a tournament, and even if the move goes wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is so lame that I cant even put it into words. He seems ragingly insecure and more than likely deeply in the closet regarding his sexuality.

He is a 20 something year old guy giving his group of friends, sorry "posse", a cool blinging name like ROcks and Rings. Hahahaha.

MicroBob
01-20-2006, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a stretch on your part to write this off to spitefulness or jealousy. Antonio is a big boy and if he wants to come off as obnoxious and showing a total lack of class at the poker table, then I'm certain he is comfortable with these types of negative comments. As I type I am listening to Lyle Berman on Larry Grossman's radio show discuss how players used to win large pots and simply scoop them up -- not do the wave or call men twice their age, 'son.' That is the image Antonio has cultivated for himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

"THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!"

(runs and high-fives and huge 15 different people in my posse just because I had the amazing skill to have my 88 held-up against AK in a race)

"WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" (does his own little miniature Antonio poker-wave and then jumps up and down and fist-pumps and does some Martin Grammatica type injury from excessive celebration)

istewart
01-20-2006, 01:10 PM
He sucks at life and should throw himself into traffic.

stigmata
01-20-2006, 01:17 PM
How do you feel about Antonio Esfandiari?

MicroBob
01-20-2006, 01:22 PM
ha ha ha. well done.

As I indicated previously...it's a tough decision.
Let me ponder for a bit.

I'm still leaning towards 'giant douche' for the moment but I only get to vote once and am really concerned about making the right choce.

deaders
01-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Im taking giant douche as the easy choice.

MicroBob
01-20-2006, 01:49 PM
You won't even consider 'total dick'?
I don't think you should be so quick to judge.

Matt Flynn
01-20-2006, 02:08 PM
I only played with Antonio a few times back in 2002 in the Lucky Chances game. However, we have a couple of mutual friends. They say he's a good guy who just appears dickish sometimes, which was my impression too.

Toro
01-20-2006, 02:18 PM
I can only go by what I see. I sat directly next to him for about 4 hours in a WPT tourney 2 years ago. He was friendly, personable and likeable. Maybe he's different now with a little success, don't know, but I came away liking the guy.

MicroBob
01-20-2006, 02:35 PM
I actually think I would like him to if I played with him or knew him. Although if he did that poker-wave in my face that might not happen at all.

The articles and pompousness is all too 'out there' though and is kind of tough to overcome.

beyeond
01-20-2006, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thin in order to fully appreciate the disdain everyone has for this individual, nothing is better than reading his personal web site: http://www.magicantonio.com/

Nuf said... thread done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, what a douchebag.

J.A.Sucker
01-20-2006, 03:54 PM
I have played lots of poker with Antonio and know him pretty well. Personally, he isn't my cup of tea, but he's not a bad guy. That Matt Flynn on the otherhand, now HE'S a bad guy. When are you coming out here, Flynn?

jedi
01-20-2006, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my opinion of Antonio is such that I would consider any woman who leaves a guy and hooks up with him is downgrading.

If she leaves a convicted felon, she's just making an even money trade -

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

She's dating Antonio, not Dutch Boyd.

jedi
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You may choose only one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't vote then.

lapoker17
01-20-2006, 04:15 PM
eh, i've played with him a fair amount in la and vegas and though he certainly appears to be a huge douche publicly, in my experience he is a pretty good guy.

Riverman
01-20-2006, 04:26 PM
He is a very good NL cash player, unlike most tournament players.

lapoker17
01-20-2006, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is a very good NL cash player

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a bit of a stretch.

Riverman
01-20-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm surprised you say that. Although I don't think he fares too well against good players he is good at setting up mediocre ones and stacking them. Also he does a pretty good job of only playing big pots with the donkeys.

Matt Flynn
01-20-2006, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have played lots of poker with Antonio and know him pretty well. Personally, he isn't my cup of tea, but he's not a bad guy. That Matt Flynn on the otherhand, now HE'S a bad guy. When are you coming out here, Flynn?

[/ QUOTE ]

March. It'll be rocks and rings.

azaycriz
01-20-2006, 07:15 PM
hahaha, I went to his website. Trying too hard to be cool is so uncool. Ridiculous.

Aceshigh7
01-20-2006, 07:32 PM
More fame than most of the people putting him down: check.
More money than most of the people putting him down: check.
Bagging higher quality tail than most of the people putting him down: check.

I think that about says it all.

Zele
01-20-2006, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have said the same of Uday Hussein, but he too was a giant douche.

MicroBob
01-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Some people with more fame, more money, and high quality tail can STILL find a way to not be a douche.

I have no problem with his money, fame nor high-quality tail.

However his general attitude (in his articles and in his TV performances) and his general doucheness speaks volumes.

morello
01-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Does anyone that replied actually KNOW Antonio? Seems like a lot of internet hate.

I played with Antonio at the World Series this year, and he came across as a nice guy. I busted him out of a tournament, he got up and wished everyone luck. Nothing but a gentleman.

Conversely, I played with a well known 2p2 poster at the World Series, who has a reputation for being polite and a "good guy" in the media - and he came across as being a jerk. I put a 'bad beat' on him, and literally didn't stop hearing about it 4 hours later.

Don't form your opinions based on what ESPN shows you.

Ed Miller
01-20-2006, 09:01 PM
In fairness to him, I think a lot of this "rocks and rings" is probably stuff his agent told him to put on his site. It's designed to bring him attention and opportunities, which it obviously has. Lots of people won WPT events, but few have ridden those wins like Antonio has.

"Rocks and rings" and articles about partying naked with my mom are definitely not my style, and there's no way they would go on my website whether my agent told me to put them there or not. But I don't necessarily fault the guy for doing what his agent told him to do to make a name for himself or make a few bucks.

By many accounts, he was a struggling magician and mediocre poker player (SECOND HAND/RUMOR-LEVEL INFO ALERT) before he won his WPT event. He got his break, and he milked it. Now he's secured several seemingly solid income streams for himself. I think many of you would do the same in his shoes... as would I (though I'd try to go about it in a slightly different way than he has).

Boris
01-20-2006, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Conversely, I played with a well known 2p2 poster at the World Series, who has a reputation for being polite and a "good guy" in the media - and he came across as being a jerk. I put a 'bad beat' on him, and literally didn't stop hearing about it 4 hours later.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK now we are getting somewhere. Out the whiner and this thread could get good.

Zele
01-20-2006, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Out the whiner and this thread could get good.

[/ QUOTE ]

beyeond
01-20-2006, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fairness to him, I think a lot of this "rocks and rings" is probably stuff his agent told him to put on his site. It's designed to bring him attention and opportunities, which it obviously has. Lots of people won WPT events, but few have ridden those wins like Antonio has.

"Rocks and rings" and articles about partying naked with my mom are definitely not my style, and there's no way they would go on my website whether my agent told me to put them there or not. But I don't necessarily fault the guy for doing what his agent told him to do to make a name for himself or make a few bucks.

By many accounts, he was a struggling magician and mediocre poker player (SECOND HAND/RUMOR-LEVEL INFO ALERT) before he won his WPT event. He got his break, and he milked it. Now he's secured several seemingly solid income streams for himself. I think many of you would do the same in his shoes... as would I (though I'd try to go about it in a slightly different way than he has).

[/ QUOTE ]

He's still a douchebag.

LittleOldLady
01-20-2006, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you're not going to party naked with your mom?! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

natedogg
01-22-2006, 04:48 AM
I know Antonio personally. I played at many home games with him, my own home game and his and others back when he first started learning how to play poker.

Antonio is a really good guy. His public persona is ... not my style but he's a good guy. All this hating on Antonio makes me question my own perceptions of other famous people that I think I despise, because everyone I know who has experience with Antonio likes him immensely, yet so many people who DON"T know him personally think he's a scum or a douche.

A public persona is really just pure BS.

my .02

natedogg

EliotSpitzer
01-22-2006, 05:41 AM
I guess my opinon is that the SOB is gay, but there isn't a whole lot that can be done about it.

SinCityGuy
01-22-2006, 07:10 AM
The wave rules, and you guys are in denial if you don't think that it's important.

Mason Malmuth
01-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi Old Lady:

Ed's required to live up to the standards we set at Two Plus Two. How he may have behaved before his Two Plus Two days is not my concern.

best wishes,
Mason

Rick Nebiolo
01-22-2006, 08:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the impression from reading some of those articles that he was some sort of social outcast in high school and hasn't gotten over it. I can relate since I was (am?) a social outcast but got over it /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

~ Rick

ECDub
01-22-2006, 10:38 AM
He seems to be a cartoon character poker player that was created by WPT back when they were making names so people would watch their show. Others in this group would be the unabomber, professor, devilfish, etc. Some are really good players, but they had a character developed by WPT (seems like to me).

Antonio has milked a lot from his WPT victory. He has a hot girlfriend, hangs with his buddies, goes to the Playboy mansion, and is one of the more famous pros on the tournament circuit. I like him okay, don't think anything bad of the guy. He has a book coming out in March put out by the WPT, so the milking continues. I don't blame him, I would do the same if I could.

EDIT: After seeing the website, I see where the hate comes from. I like him a lot less now.

TheGame1020
01-22-2006, 11:19 AM
I really had no problem with this dude till his website. This has to be the gayest [censored] ever written. I don't know if it is possible to come off as a bigger giant douche. I am stunned.

"WHERE WILL YOU FIND THEM?
In the finest restaurants, bars, clubs and after-hours hidden hot spots. The more exclusive it is -- the harder you have to work to perpetrate past the velvet ropes and bouncers’ glares -- the more likely you are to find R&R there.

Look for them at private tables, with top-shelf booze and top-shelf service. There's only one class in Rocks and Rings: First.

They travel by limo. They jet off to Vegas. Or Costa Rica. Paris. In a sense it doesn’t matter where they shoot to or how they arrive because they place they are will instantly become the place to be. To paraphrase Crowded House, “Everywhere you go, you always take the party with you.”
"

Wow. Just wow.

MicroBob
01-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I thought his wave and antics at the table and his cute little magic stuff (with accompnaying creepy-stare that magicians feel is somehow necessary) were a bit over-the-top...but I too was totally fine with him.

Obviously most of the issues with him invovling his rocks-and-rings-1.4 idiotic attitude were brought to light in his post WPT-title articles (in magazine and website).

Of course, I don't know the guy personally so why I should have an opinion on him AT ALL probably says more about me than about him.

But I don't take part in all the Brad/angelina or Tom/Katie or Nick/Jessica stuff and I need SOME sort of idiotic gossip to round out my day.

I think Ed's points are valid. But certainly one can criticize the WAY a guy goes about milking his fame.
I too would absolutely choose to milk my fame. But it's up to me to not be a total jerk in the process.

Roy Munson
01-22-2006, 12:37 PM
This sounds like the theme of the majority of Rap music lyrics for the last 15 years.

TDouble
01-22-2006, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rocks and rings bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

beyeond
01-22-2006, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
rocks and rings bitch.

seriously though, he is a douchebag .

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

troymclur
01-22-2006, 02:12 PM
didn't read the thread yet, but i'll say this:

When somebody presents themselves as a pimp, they better follow through or they're catching some [censored]. People don't reward arrogance easily.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously comparing Antonio to Hussein? I mean Hussein was an evil SOB, but still, that's a little harsh.

Joking aside, modern media is a double edged sword, giving people a horribly false sense of understanding; allowing even rational people to feel justified in judging somebody they dont' know. Antonio may be a nice guy, i dont' know. What i do know is that he was really begging for a hazing through his own presentation of himself.

beyeond
01-22-2006, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you seriously comparing Antonio to Hussein?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hussein is Iraqi, and Antonio is Iranian... Antonio isn't a coldblooded butcher, but then again Hussein isn't a magician. So I guess they aren't too similiar. But they are both clearly douchebags.

troymclur
01-22-2006, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you seriously comparing Antonio to Hussein?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hussein is Iraqi, and Antonio is Iranian... Antonio isn't a coldblooded butcher, but then again Hussein isn't a magician. So I guess they aren't too similiar. But they are both clearly douchebags.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, i was just joking. My reply was to suggest that its insulting to think Hussein is as doucharific as Antonio.

Sponger.
01-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Antonio? He isn't my type.

Jihad
01-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I think he's cute, but a turn in the gym and some general hygiene tips would do him wonders. That's what you're looking for right?

Zele
01-22-2006, 11:17 PM
No, just trying to refute the "case closed" argument concerning how rich and laid he is. Uday was just the first international playboy/douche that came to mind. I probably should have used Henry Kissinger as an example.

willie
01-22-2006, 11:35 PM
i feel that he is a good poker player with many gears and headsup he looked like a savage (from what i've seen on tv)

personality wise- meh, hams it up for the camera and made a big name for himself- good for him. i'm sure he's not as big of a douche as he appears to be on tv

i don't even want to look at his website and find out that he is just a horrible human being.

azaycriz
01-22-2006, 11:56 PM
This newbie appreciates everyone's replies, so a big thank-you to all that responded with some insight!

[ QUOTE ]
Joking aside, modern media is a double edged sword, giving people a horribly false sense of understanding; allowing even rational people to feel justified in judging somebody they dont' know. Antonio may be a nice guy, i dont' know. What i do know is that he was really begging for a hazing through his own presentation of himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really good point, and as far as I'm concerned, sums up this thread nicely.

beyeond
01-23-2006, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't even want to look at his website and find out that he is just a horrible human being.

[/ QUOTE ]

look at it anyway. he's a douchebag, and his website confirms.

grdred944
01-27-2006, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EXCELLENT POST! I can now leave this thread. Good job!

Cyrus
01-28-2006, 01:47 AM
From this little sample of opinions, it's fair to say that anyone who has personally met the man, even if only played against him at the tables, likes the guy. And anyone who "knows" about Antonio Esfandiari from what he does in his public persona, hates his guts.

Food for thought.

(For him, as well.)

Peter McDermott
01-28-2006, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Antonio is a really good guy. His public persona is ... not my style but he's a good guy. All this hating on Antonio makes me question my own perceptions of other famous people that I think I despise, because everyone I know who has experience with Antonio likes him immensely, yet so many people who DON"T know him personally think he's a scum or a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

But his public persona is all that we're discussing here. Unless we have a personal relationship with the guy, we don't have anything else to judge.

Personally, I found his TV appearances quite engaging. As someone else has pointed out, he's got a strong, easily marketable 'brand' insofar as he's young, has a striking appearance, is comfortable with the media, etc. Then, I read one of his articles for Bluff magazine. (Not sure which sucks most -- the magazine or Anthonio's articles for it)

After that, I decided that I'd like to see The Magician perform a Vanishing Trick.

But I'm sure that in real life, he's good to his mom, kind to animals and treats the betties to all the free pearl necklaces that they could ever want.

streetz
01-28-2006, 09:50 AM
it's fair to say that anyone who has personally met the man, even if only played against him at the tables, likes the guy.

not true, he was a regular at bay 101 before his rock n ringer days. still the obnoxious attention whore he once was.

balt999
01-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Being a "Celebrity" definately got to his head....probably thinks he's more famous than he actually is.

bigdog23
01-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I played with him in a cash game at Bellagio. On a negative note, he seeemed a bit cocky. Thinks everything he does is so great etc. But he also seemed like a very nice guy if you know him. So i guess my thinking is he's a decent guy just a little self absorbed.

MicroBob
01-28-2006, 06:07 PM
I was so-so on him in his TV persona.
His wave was goofy...but whatever, no biggie.

The articles speak volumes though.

I think that people who have only seen him on TV tend to think he's probably not SO bad either.

A few in this thread have been in that camp....where AFTER learning of his articles changed their opinions of him pretty dramatically.

idrinkcoors
01-29-2006, 02:26 AM
The wording in his articles and website seem stright out of a bad Saturday Night Live skit. And I've read a couple of different articles where he mentions how he can't wait to go to his high school reunion and show off. That to me is a sign of insecurity.

Having said that, and being the hypocrite that I am, I saw him at the Bellagio one night and went up to him and shook hands with him. He was nice to me.

MicroBob
01-29-2006, 02:29 AM
SNL skit is a good line. Very true.

My own little 'to be fair' - i haven't exactly been rushing to any of my H.S. reunions (recently missed our 15th anniversary one I guess).
But I do suspect I'll find my there if I make a million-dollars or appear on a TV final-table or something.