PDA

View Full Version : oppose H.R. 4411

va1halla
07-16-2006, 09:12 PM
I put this for my city when i'm playing on poker stars to create awareness and get some conversations started.
Maybe if we all do this we can get the word out a little more.

Ron Burgundy
07-16-2006, 11:13 PM
I've typed into about a dozen chatboxes within the last couple days "has anyone written to their senator about the online gambling prohibition bill?" No one has ever responded. I think 2+2ers are the only people who gamble online that even know about it.

Eric Stoner
07-17-2006, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've typed into about a dozen chatboxes within the last couple days "has anyone written to their senator about the online gambling prohibition bill?" No one has ever responded. I think 2+2ers are the only people who gamble online that even know about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine just moved to Oregon. Before we both moved away from the same town, he invited me to home games and he knew that I played online rather regularly. He mentioned to me earlier this week that we should play some online poker. I responded that we should before it becomes illegal thinking he would know what I was talking about.

He didn't - didn't even know that a bill existed. Of course, I quickly informed him. Many people don't know about this situation or clueless as to what to do about it (if they have seen the commentary on the Daily Show or other random places like that).

meleader2
07-17-2006, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha every table i sit at and a pot ships to me i type in "CLICK YOUR MOUSE LOSE YOUR HOUSE" ...

only 1 person has laughed so far.

cowboy.up
07-17-2006, 02:24 PM
I've brought up the subject on FT and I have gotten responses but they were all along the lines of, "Never gonna happen, so I'm not going to do anything about it." It's nearly impossible to even reason with some of the people that talk like that.

DING-DONG YO
07-17-2006, 02:53 PM
If this does pass, it will be very amusing to see the outrage from the poker community. Especially the "they passed this under our noses" folks, of which there will be many (like your FT players).

Bovine_U
07-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know which lobbying firm, if any, is handling the opposition to this bill?

Ron Burgundy
07-17-2006, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If this does pass, it will be very amusing to see the outrage from the poker community. Especially the "they passed this under our noses" folks, of which there will be many (like your FT players).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what really pisses me off. People don't pay any attention until it's too late.

Maybe it's better to say something like "hey did anyone see the Daily Show the other day?" That will hopefully get at least some kind of conversation started, then you can drop in the "it couldn't hurt to write to your senators" line.

va1halla
07-18-2006, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what really pisses me off. People don't pay any attention until it's too late.

Maybe it's better to say something like "hey did anyone see the Daily Show the other day?" That will hopefully get at least some kind of conversation started, then you can drop in the "it couldn't hurt to write to your senators" line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell people at tables when I get the chance, but usually get a reply saying they can't do that, or that bill will never pass and even if does they can't stop me, for some reason they think our government can't stop them. Seems to be alot of misinformed people online playing.

DrewOnTilt
07-18-2006, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know which lobbying firm, if any, is handling the opposition to this bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask the Poker Player's Alliance (http://pokerplayersalliance.org/) - they should know what is going on.

Dan Burns
07-18-2006, 02:10 AM
I have said it both on Pokerstars and in a bar league around here and no one has responded. Despite their constant complaints about the government, people still subconsciously seem to believe that lawmakers are smarter than them and know what they're doing. Most people didn't seem to care in the bar league. They all think it's fixed because they once had an ace-king lose to an ace-ten on the river, or you get the aforementioned "never gonna happen" types.
The most disturbing part is no one sees this as a civil liberties issue. You try to explain why the government should not have the authority to legislate a ban on internet gambling and people end up thinking you have a gambling problem.
Don't let this discourage you so much that you don't keep on trying, though. If you could just get a few people to call their senators, you've done your part. Make sure they understand that it's a really simple process and that you'll most likely be talking to an aide, not the actual senator. Calming them is key. Many people are too nervous to voice their opinion.
I wrote a newspaper column for the company I work for, which will be in a few weekly newspapers in northern New Jersey. It will also be posted on my website, www.satellitewinner.com (http://www.satellitewinner.com), when my partner gets a chance to do it. I don't want to post it until it is up on my site, but I'll PM the original poster a copy and anyone else who would like one can PM me. Good luck guys. -Dan