PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Rake (Longish)

Equidae
07-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I did a search to see if this was posted already and didn't see it.

Pretty much all of the players are upset about the huge fees they're paying to play in these tournies. DN said something in his video blog how it's unfair that just because they play higher, they have to pay more to play. HD posted in the Hendon Mobs site that he thinks the fees are ridiculous too. So this got me thinking....why isn't the fee just like a cash game rake?
In the H.O.R.S.E tourney there were FAR FAR less people than in the average tournament, yet they had to pay a much bigger tournament fee. Just because they're gambling higher? That seems like ridiculous logic to me. That would be like charging a guy who buys a top shelf martini more tax than the guy who buys a PBR just because they know he has enough money to pay more.
So what about this?
Make the entry fees directly proportional to the Buy-in of the tourney with a maximum fee? Just like the rake. Make it 9% up to $1000. I'm sure it takes less work to run a 150 person $50,000 buy in tourney than an 8,000 person $10,000 buy in, so why charge more?
This seems to me like an idea that will make the players happy and it's a standard for everyone. They could even make the it 9% up to $1500 and it would still be better than it is now.

Thoughts?

Lloyd
07-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Numerous posts, although you'll probably have to browse versus searching.

Equidae
07-16-2006, 07:39 PM
I saw the posts about it but none with this "idea"
Maybe you could point me in the right direction since I can't find it?

Quicksilvre
07-16-2006, 08:55 PM
It was a topic on and off in the main HORSE thread. Also, you can use the search feature.

In general, many people agree that the rake on the HORSE event, and the WSOP in general, was too high.

jdaddy
07-16-2006, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That would be like charging a guy who buys a top shelf martini more tax than the guy who buys a PBR just because they know he has enough money to pay more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your argument in the thread but this example seems weak. The top shelf person would pay more TAX because his purchase price is higher. Since tournament fees are represented as costs for service rendered, maybe the better example would be TIP v. TAX. Wouldn't have to tip more for a Bass than a Bud at a bar.