PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry: Mint Gum and Cold Water

DavidC
07-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Why is it that when you drink cold water after chewing mint gum, that the water feels colder than if you hadn't been chewing mint gum?

Rduke55
07-14-2006, 06:05 PM
I'd imagine it's the same reason spicy food feels hot. In that case some heat receptors are activated by capsaicin.
In this case a chemical in the mint (menthol) activates the cold receptors.

guesswest
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
If that's true (not disputing it, I know nothing about this subject) - how come mint ice cream doesn't feel colder than other ice cream flavors?

Matt R.
07-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Because the cold recepters are already activated by the cold ice cream. Adding in mint does not increase the strength of the signal or activate more receptors -- it's an "on or off" type of deal.

tolbiny
07-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Since the question seems to have been answered, why does oragne juice taste like ass after brushing your teeth?

Phil153
07-15-2006, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since the question seems to have been answered, why does oragne juice taste like ass after brushing your teeth?

[/ QUOTE ]
Get a new toothbrush. And possibly some new roommates.

Rduke55
07-15-2006, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because the cold recepters are already activated by the cold ice cream. Adding in mint does not increase the strength of the signal or activate more receptors -- it's an "on or off" type of deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not an on or off response but it's pretty much maxed out lower than freezing so that cold is that cold.

RichS
07-15-2006, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since the question seems to have been answered, why does orange juice taste like ass after brushing your teeth?

[/ QUOTE ]Most toothpaste formulae contain a base (or alkaline) to neutralize the acidic substance that exists in the mouth. Consequently, when orange juice (or any other juice that contains citric acid) is consumed, the contrast between the lingering effects of the base react with the newly ingested acid to produce an unusual taste. But, notice that as you drink more juice, the more likely it is to taste "normal." That's because the toothpaste base has a minimal and temporary effect.

DavidC
07-15-2006, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Get a new toothbrush. And possibly some new roommates.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL best answer ever!

DavidC
07-15-2006, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not an on or off response but it's pretty much maxed out lower than freezing so that cold is that cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, I'm pretty skeptical of this answer, because cool mint ice cream (stuff that's below body temp but significantly above freezing), doesn't taste any colder than vanilla ice cream at the same temp.

I'm guessing that mint ice cream has a very different composition than mint gum.

Bubble/grape/etc gum doesn't produce the same effects of mint gum, also, so it's not gum vs ice cream.

Also, I haven't tried this with just plain old peppermint (the herb). Ditto scotch mints.

Anyways, if anyone has a link to an explanation that'd be awesome, or if someone has a degree in chemistry and knows the answer, that'd be great too.

Rduke55
07-15-2006, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or if someone has a degree in chemistry and knows the answer

[/ QUOTE ]

Doctorate in neuroscience not good enough for you? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
My wife is a also neuroscientist (that works on taste).
We both research amd teach sensory neurobiology.
I used to do the lecture on temperature sensation.

Why are you skeptical of the answer?
What kind of ice cream isn't frozen?

Edit: google gives us this (http://www.sdreader.com/php/ma_show.php?id=428) as the first hit for "mint colder water"

DavidC
07-15-2006, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or if someone has a degree in chemistry and knows the answer

[/ QUOTE ]

Doctorate in neuroscience not good enough for you? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

No, that's probably pretty good.

I googled it myself but didn't get that one. I suck at google, though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks.