PDA

View Full Version : legislation questions--probably dumb

jschaud
07-14-2006, 03:48 PM
has anyone/site/political group or lobby called or polled all of the senators to find out their standing on the bill?

is this useless as most politicians flip flop anyway based on what will get them re-elected?

besides calling, is there a place to see how my senator feels about the bill?

i am in south carolina.

DavidNB
07-14-2006, 05:12 PM
senators would vote in the best interests of the people they represent, at least most of the time. The problem with on line gambling is its not view as something good. To add to it, take a few people who lose everything to gambling and have them start preaching that eveil thing so be banned and then you have a large movement agaisnt it.

IMO, the best way to try to stop it is can your senator and voice your opinion. Preach regulation of on-line gambling instead of banning it. And mosy important, in your communication with the senator's office, keep everything polite and so on.

jschaud
07-15-2006, 01:09 AM
i called both my senators before work. got a voicemail the first time and talked to a staff member who had no clue on the second. i then shot both of them emails talking about censorship and violation of civil liberties. i have been talking it up to some friends that bet on sports and they will be calling and writing as well. i have vowed to call and send an email twice a week until i directly speak to the senators (never happen, i know).

jim demint--sc is on the commerce committee, so he may be valuable to us.

DJE
07-15-2006, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the best way to try to stop it is can your senator

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even realize I had that kind of power, I'm gonna call him right now and tell him his ass is fired! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DavidNB
07-15-2006, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the best way to try to stop it is can your senator

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even realize I had that kind of power, I'm gonna call him right now and tell him his ass is fired! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Should read best way to stop it is to call your senator.

Mr.K
07-15-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm reluctant to counsel folks not to reach out to their elected representatives to let them know what issues you care about, but in this case, I wouldn't expect much from DeMint. That guy is a pretty rigid conservative, very much of the moral big government type, as opposed to the libertarian type. Could be I'm wrong, but that's my impression. Also, don't try to talk to the Senator. Waste of time and isn't going to happen. Focus on connecting with the right staff (judiciary LA or LC) and convincing them that they need to consider the problems you see with the bill.