PDA

View Full Version : This bill is easy to defeat-Would this be unethical?

Indiana
07-14-2006, 01:05 PM
So I figured out how to beat this HR bill. Its so easy. Today I call my senator's office and she takes my name and address and records whether I'm "For" or "Against" this bill. That's it. She says this is sent to a database in DC for my senator to review.

Now. What is to stop everybody on this forum from doing this.....and what is to stop us from calling in like 50 times each with different names and addresses from the phone book. Hell, we could do it 50 times per person for each state.

Just a dumb thought but wouldn't that be huge? Would this be so unethical? I am not saying I have done this or would do this but I am just bringing up a hypothetical situation.

Indy

Soul Rebel
07-14-2006, 01:08 PM
I say go for it, I see no problem whatsoever. I'll be making plenty of them.

Berge20
07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Call tally's are a minor part in the decision-making process (IMO) even with bills that are very controvertial.
Might tip a decision if someone is on the fence, but it won't push someone very far.

Certainly not an easy way to defeat the legislation.

Indiana
07-14-2006, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call tally's are a minor part in the decision-making process (IMO) even with bills that are very controvertial.
Might tip a decision if someone is on the fence, but it won't push someone very far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what if we send in donations from people randomly just taking their #s from the phone book. There has to be a way to use our brains on this rather than just playing scared.

Indy

damaniac
07-14-2006, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what if we send in donations from people randomly just taking their #s from the phone book. There has to be a way to use our brains on this rather than just playing scared.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably substantially less legal than your first idea.

Indiana
07-14-2006, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably substantially less legal than your first idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't want to do anything illegal but let's face it, we aren't exactly working with a fair/ethical system here so an ethical strategy will not work. Anybody else got any ideas other than phone spam?

Indy

Mr.K
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Contacting your elected representatives is ALWAYS a good idea when you care about something. That said, an uncoordinated calling campaign is not going to tip the balances one way or another on an issue like this. Now, if PPA had its [censored] together (it appears not to), it would rally all net poker players to do a massive calling campaign on a certain day -- probably a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, since those are the days the Senate is usually in formal session and voting, with all members present. A coordinated calling campaign would make much more of a blip on the radar screens of staffs, and potentially members. No guarantee of a positive outcome, of course, but such an action would probably help the cause of those who oppose the bill.

Also, I have yet to hear anything about the PPA recruiting someone to put a "hold" down on the bill, but that is obviously the first thing they should do if they want to win. They would then want to direct a lot of poker player support to that member, financially and otherwise. Problem is, nobody wants to be the publicly-acknowledges lap dog for gambooling given the Abramoff stigma, so it could be that any relationship between the member recruited to hold the bill and the PPA is kept silent.