PDA

View Full Version : Texas Senator Responds to Constituent - Re: H.R. 4777

gamboolman
07-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I wrote Texas Senators to voice my opinion on the pending bill. Please find below the disappointing response from
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator - Texas

Have not heard from Kay Bailey Hutchinson yet.

I agree with other posters that we all need to take the time and trouble to let our representatives know what their constituents want.

Thanks, gamboolman

Response from Senator JOHN CORNYN

Dear Mr. Gamboolman,

Thank you for contacting me about Internet gambling. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As you may know, Representative Bob Goodlatte introduced H.R. 4777 on February 16, 2006. This legislation would prevent financial institutions from paying electronic bank drafts made to organizations involved in gambling across state lines. Current anti-gambling law enforcement tools were developed before the advent of the Internet and online gaming; H.R. 4777 would update the enforcement tools available to investigating authorities. H.R. 4777 was referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary for further consideration.

In other Internet gambling legislation, Senator Jon Kyl proposed an amendment to H.R. 2862 (the Science, State, Justice, Commerce, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act) that would prevent the use of certain payment instruments, credit cards, and fund transfers for unlawful Internet gambling, and for other purposes. However, this amendment to H.R. 2862 was ruled out of order by the chair, and no similar measures have been proposed.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers relevant legislation. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

Senators of the 109th Congress

Cornyn, John- (R - TX) Class II
517 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-2934
Web Form: cornyn.senate.gov/contact/index.html

Hutchison, Kay Bailey- (R - TX) Class I
284 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-5922
Web Form: hutchison.senate.gov/e-mail.htm

Lawman007
07-13-2006, 01:50 PM
That's a non-response if I ever heard one. That's ok, though. At least you let this guy know how you feel.

We all need to do that. Follow up e-mails with phone calls. Let these senators know that we're here, there are a lot of us, and we are opposed to this BS legislation.

poorolrich
07-13-2006, 01:52 PM
So, what did you expect???? The Senate has not officially received any bill regarding Internet Gambling. So, he not commenting on it one way or the other is understandable. E-mail both of them again after they have had time to read the bill(if it comes to the floor). Then their comments would be more interesting.

Indiana
07-13-2006, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I wrote Texas Senators to voice my opinion on the pending bill. Please find below the disappointing response from
JOHN CORNYN

Have not heard from Kay Bailey Hutchinson yet.

I agree with other posters that we all need to take the time and trouble to let our representatives know what their constituents want.

Thanks, gamboolman

Response from Senator JOHN CORNYN

Dear Mr. Gamboolman,

Thank you for contacting me about Internet gambling. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As you may know, Representative Bob Goodlatte introduced H.R. 4777 on February 16, 2006. This legislation would prevent financial institutions from paying electronic bank drafts made to organizations involved in gambling across state lines. Current anti-gambling law enforcement tools were developed before the advent of the Internet and online gaming; H.R. 4777 would update the enforcement tools available to investigating authorities. H.R. 4777 was referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary for further consideration.

In other Internet gambling legislation, Senator Jon Kyl proposed an amendment to H.R. 2862 (the Science, State, Justice, Commerce, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act) that would prevent the use of certain payment instruments, credit cards, and fund transfers for unlawful Internet gambling, and for other purposes. However, this amendment to H.R. 2862 was ruled out of order by the chair, and no similar measures have been proposed.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers relevant legislation. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

Senators of the 109th Congress

Cornyn, John- (R - TX) Class II
517 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-2934
Web Form: cornyn.senate.gov/contact/index.html

Hutchison, Kay Bailey- (R - TX) Class I
284 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-5922
Web Form: hutchison.senate.gov/e-mail.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same letter that Indiana senator Evan Byh sent me earlier this year. I wonder if senators also have a website to go to and get a generic form to respond to us:) LOL.

Indy

Soul Rebel
07-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Indiana - Make sure you bug the hell out of Evan Bayh, he's on the 18 member committee that will review the bill before it goes to the Senate Floor. I'm from Indianapolis too, and thats what I've been doing. Throw in some phone calls too.

tipperdog
07-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi Gambool,

I would not consider this response "disappointing" if I were you. The fact is, there are thousands of pieces of legislation introduced every year. Senators rarely focus on them until a vote is imminent. Yes, it's a quasi-form letter. But what else can you do? Cornyn probably gets 1,000 letters per week and has 4-5 staffers to respond to them all.

Indiana
07-13-2006, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Indiana - Make sure you bug the hell out of Evan Bayh, he's on the 18 member committee that will review the bill before it goes to the Senate Floor. I'm from Indianapolis too, and thats what I've been doing. Throw in some phone calls too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can u give me a good idea of what to say to Senator Bayh when I do call? I have no problem calling him tomorrow.

Indy

MannyIsGod
07-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Cornyn is in favor of said legislation as is Hutchison. Such is the price we pay for living in Texas. We're represented by right wing mouthpieces.

Soul Rebel
07-13-2006, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can u give me a good idea of what to say to Senator Bayh when I do call? I have no problem calling him tomorrow.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, when you call you'll one of his guys on the phone (obviously). Say something along these lines and make it short, sweet, and very clear. Tell you him you have a message for the Senator regarding HR 4411 - the unlawful internet gambling act. Say that you are very opposed to HR 4411 reaching the senate floor as you think it is hypocritical reduction in personal liberties (or whatever the top 2 points you want to make are). Explain that you hope the Senator will do all he can to defeat the bill, and that your future support is entirely dependent on the outcome of this bill.

From what I've read, making a call every week or two is ideal. Thats what I'm doing anyway. Hope this helps.

Indiana
07-14-2006, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, when you call you'll one of his guys on the phone (obviously). Say something along these lines and make it short, sweet, and very clear. Tell you him you have a message for the Senator regarding HR 4411 - the unlawful internet gambling act. Say that you are very opposed to HR 4411 reaching the senate floor as you think it is hypocritical reduction in personal liberties (or whatever the top 2 points you want to make are). Explain that you hope the Senator will do all he can to defeat the bill, and that your future support is entirely dependent on the outcome of this bill.

From what I've read, making a call every week or two is ideal. Thats what I'm doing anyway. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing it right now. Thanks-Indy

Indiana
07-14-2006, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing it right now. Thanks-Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Man some stupid ass woman answered and hung up on me. Gov't in this country does not work.

Indy