PDA

View Full Version : The End is not Near

CharlieDontSurf
07-12-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm sure this has been posted before...but anybody freaking out should read it and realize that the bill is more tough talk than anything else.

And the Senate hasn't even taken it up or passed it...which most likely will not happen.

All Bark No Bite (http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15416)

Quicksilvre
07-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Barry also does not seem concerned:

Barry Shulman blog (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/blog_entry/158)

Frankly, I don't know if they are just kidding themselves or what, but it seems as though what got passed by the House was something very different than what people are expecting (as I mentioned in another thread).

Leavenfish
07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Barry also does not seem concerned:

Barry Shulman blog (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/blog_entry/158)

Frankly, I don't know if they are just kidding themselves or what, but it seems as though what got passed by the House was something very different than what people are expecting (as I mentioned in another thread).

[/ QUOTE ]

A Captain has to be brave when the ship is sinking! Frankly, there are a few things he 'dismisses' out of hand without any supporting evidence that I believe are indeed things to be concerned about.

example:
"The bill directs the Department of the Treasury and the Federal Reserve to issue regulations outlining policies and procedures that could be used by financial institutions to identify and block gambling-related transactions that are transmitted through their payment systems. If the bill ever becomes law, these entities have 270 days to write such procedures. The implementation is mind boggling."

Why on earth does he think it is 'mind boggling'. The FEDS just say "Don't do it" to the ISP's or we will take away your company and throw you in jail...and they will follow.

And where does he really debunk the issue of money games on the internet??

---Leavenfish

DING-DONG YO
07-12-2006, 08:30 PM
That article is analyzing a different bill than the one that was voted on and passed. The comments in the article are totally irrelevant for that reason.

ed8383
07-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Stop trying to make light of the situation. Yes this might be the brave thing to do but we really need to start worrying. This is the only way people will call their senators and get serious on this issue. Ignoring the very serious threat is not helping our cause.

Rusty266
07-12-2006, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this has been posted before...but anybody freaking out should read it and realize that the bill is more tough talk than anything else.

And the Senate hasn't even taken it up or passed it...which most likely will not happen.

All Bark No Bite (http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15416)

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone freaking out about online poker being doomed is in the same category as those that still believe the JFK assination was a conspiracy. They are in the majority.

And whether we are talking about trading futures, starting a business, playing poker or believing in conspiracy theories, the majority is always on the wrong or losing end of the equation.

I've read the article on Cardplayer, and while I agree with most of what is written, I also understand that it is written by an attorney making a case. An attorney representing the other side could also possibly make an equally compelling argument.

I and everyone else can try to do all the interpreting we like, but in the end its the 9 guys in Washington that will ultimately do that. Call me in 5 years and let me know if they have gotten around to this deal yet. Meanwhile, I'll be in the online poker room.

fasteddy1970
07-12-2006, 08:50 PM
I just watched a replay of the McGloughlin Group on TV. For those of you that don't know, the show consists of 4 conservatives and two liberals discussing current issues. Five out of six panel members said they were sure this bill would not pass in the Senate. Even the conservatives scoffed at the bill and other than Pat Buchanon - who is to the right of Mussolini - you could tell they thought it was a stupid waste of time. Those guys scoffing at it gives me great confidence that this bill will not pass the Senate in it's current form and we will be left alone to play poker on the internet for years to come.

Quicksilvre
07-12-2006, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She does not. However, the Shulmans seem to be vigalant about this sort of thing, and she says that she does not expect this bill to pass. Reading fasteddy's post reinforces that viewpoint.

I am allowing that it's possible they are wrong. Nonetheless, I'm not moving the barn just yet.

Leavenfish
07-12-2006, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She does not. However, the Shulmans seem to be vigalant about this sort of thing, and she says that she does not expect this bill to pass. Reading fasteddy's post reinforces that viewpoint.

I am allowing that it's possible they are wrong. Nonetheless, I'm not moving the barn just yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

When something passes by such a large margin and with both parties largely supporting it in the house, one has to think it could tip that way in the Senate.

---Leavenfish

Rusty266
07-12-2006, 09:48 PM
When something passes by such a large margin and with both parties largely supporting it in the house, one has to think it could tip that way in the Senate.

---Leavenfish

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care if the bill passes the Senate unamiously, online poker is here to stay.

Little_Luck
07-12-2006, 09:52 PM
With that kind of backing, can't the house force the senate to vote on the issue? Granted, they probably wouldn't do that before the end of the session for the summer. They have other priorities.

Thank you illegal immigrants!!!

Leavenfish
07-12-2006, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

---Leavenfish

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care if the bill passes the Senate unamiously, online poker is here to stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOT my friend if you are refering to online poker for real money...

---Leavenfish

RushnRocket
07-12-2006, 10:07 PM
FIGHT THE POWER !!!

Gregg777
07-12-2006, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FIGHT THE POWER !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1162/hillbilly10tr.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

CharlieDontSurf
07-13-2006, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

---Leavenfish

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...you didn't pay attention much in your poli sci classes did you.

Artdogg
07-13-2006, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL...you didn't pay attention much in your poli sci classes did you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about emailing a couple of my old teachers asking whats the chances of something like this getting through the senate, they seemed to know a lot. Too bad I didnt listen much!